The BBC Camshaft, Need Help....

BigBlockMonte

Hey All

The Motor in the chevelle has died, It dropped a valve at 4k or so. I've decided to do another complete engine. The engine I'm building now is going to be a 489/496 stroker. I saved what I could from the previous engine, So this will be the new engine specs.

71 Chevelle

489/496 CI (2 Bolt Main)

Pro Comp Heads (320cc) 2.25/1.88 Valves

(I removed all the pro-comp hardware, and having my machine shop use other parts),

Compression should be around 10:1 to 10:3

Air Gap Intake

850 Vac Sec Carb

3/8th Fuel line from tank to carb

Hooker Comp Headers 2"tubes into 3.5 collector, then 3" mandrel bend exhuast out the back. Flowmaster 44series mufflers.

3900lbs w/me in it

Bowtie Stage 2 2004r trans

CK performance 2800-3000 stall

3.73 posi rear w/ 28" tall tire

I'm looking at a few camshafts but the whole lift/duration with 320cc heads is giving me a headache. With the size heads and other components, I'm not sure if I need a high lift, lower duration cam, or high lift, longer duration cam, or if I need a lower lift/lower duration. I envy you guys that have this all figured out.

Here's two or the cams I'm looking at.

120265-12 .634 .640

237 243

.634 .640

112 Hyd. Hyd.

Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshaft 2600-6500 Lopey idle, hot street & bracket racing. 10.0:1+ CR advised.

This is the other one:

121615-12 .640 .640

296 308

243 255

112 Hyd. Hyd.

Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshaft 3000-6600 Lopey idle, excellent mid to top end power. 10.0:1+ CR, 3200+ stall.

These are both Howrards Cams HYD rollers. I'll be goin with the MAX effort Howards Lifters, and springs suggested by them. The car will never see above 6k,

Am I in the right ballpark for choosing a camshaft for this 489/496 stroker.

It's goin to be a 90% street car, with alot of spirited driving, and maybe if there is anytime, I'd like to go the track once or twice to see what it will do.

You need to shoot Chris Straub (cstraub) an email, he gets great reviews on the Chevelles.com forum. You give him all the info you can on your parts and what your goal is ie. street/strip?

His email addy - cstraub69@comcast.net or just shoot him a pm.

http://www.straubtechnologies.com/

David is right in that you need someone from a cam manufacture who knows what's going on to spec out a cam for your application and yours only. No cookie cutter cams, or you will be disappointed.

JMO..Mariano I would say those heads are a bit big for that build. Chris Straub would probably tell you the first cam is closer to what you need (except for the LSA). To bring the low/mid range power back a smaller duration on a tighter circle will help do that. I would say lift in the 630-650 area but like others have said call a custom grider for better specifics. If you call Comp, Lunati or someone like that they will try and steer you to a shelf cam....

okay, They do make the first cam on a 110 Lobe Seperation. I really would love to do a custom cam, with my budget, I just can't. I'm settling for the off the shelf cam, as thats all I can afford right now. and barely doin that. I'm not ready for the cam just yet, Its goin to be one of the last things I buy, So maybe between now and then something will come up to help my finances. But for now, If It doesnt go the way of a custom cam, Do you feel this off the shrlf cam (The 1st One) cut on a 110 LSA will be alright. I'm sure it won't run its best, but it should run pretty good.

$1200.00 for a camshaft, lifters & pushrods is way out of my range. This howards Camshaft will be $566.00 for cam & lifters, $600.00 if I choose to use the better lifters from them (91161) instead of their 91167 lifters. Summit sells the same cam & lifters for $519.00

And I know pushrods are not goin to be $600.00, So as much as its better to do a custom cam, $1200.00 vs Maybe $700.00 or more. Thats a big enough difference for me to do off the shelf. Feeling like I shoulda stayed with the damn imports. I went faster (alot faster) for less money.

So thanks for the help, I probably wont be back

$1200.00 for a camshaft, lifters & pushrods is way out of my range. This howards Camshaft will be $566.00 for cam & lifters, $600.00 if I choose to use the better lifters from them (91161) instead of their 91167 lifters. Summit sells the same cam & lifters for $519.00

And I know pushrods are not goin to be $600.00, So as much as its better to do a custom cam, $1200.00 vs Maybe $700.00 or more. Thats a big enough difference for me to do off the shelf. Feeling like I shoulda stayed with the damn imports. I went faster (alot faster) for less money.

So thanks for the help, I probably wont be back

there's no free lunch, you get what you pay for Mariano...."I probably won't be back"...what the hell does that mean? You asked for opinions and you got them, if you really didn't want any why post? Those are cheap street type lifters that won't like 620 lift or anything over 5500 rpm....as far as your import...bring it on..... wink

Going cheap is unfortunately what probably got you into rebuilding the motor in the first place. You could have probably spent $500 more on a better set of heads that came with better components and not dropped a valve. The valvetrane is probably the most likely place for mishaps to occur, and lifters are the most notorious for breaking, especially under the spring pressures that are going to be needed for an aggressive cam with 600+ lift. I would get some Morel lifters, and am sorry to say they will run you $600.

Howard's states that lower cost hydraulic roller lifters are not to be used over 6000 rpm. We used them in a motor, they are a quality product but a heavy design.

We are trying to help. Our suggestions are not meant to make you mad. I know for a fact that a custom grind solid roller is about a hundred over an off the shelf cam. And when you get right to it a hundred is a drop in the bucket when you are doing a performance engine.

But since you will not be back, you probably will not see this.

Wow! I probably won't be back! [you said a naughty!]! We all gave this dude some solid BB advice and he is now going off half cocked as if he didn't realize that reliability, performance, and efficiency for a BB Chevy doesn't cost a good chunk of change. More than one converted tuner guy that made the plunge realized that even though the upfront cost is more for American V8's built right the down the road cost for maintenance is a lot lower as they can take a lot more abuse. If the dude is truely mad there is a saying that says "don't go away mad, just go away". Some folks never learn, or always have to learn the hard way instead of listening to folks who have made the mistakes and learned from them and are kind enought to impart their wisdom on others to help them out.

I dunno...I look at the BB chevy and the first thing I notice is that everything is bigger. All the price numbers are bigger...about the only number that is smaller is the one following the words "miles per gallon".

I'm not sure what he expected; but I bet he's glad the advice was free. All I can hear in my mind is Robert Stacks' voice from the movie Airplane! "..The decision is yours.."

Wow, I can't believe the way this guy acted when you all gave him sound, and solid, advice for his motor needs. I have been on many forums, and run many different types of cars and find this forum to be the most friendly, honest, and well educated group I have ever had the pleasure of conversing with on the internet. I agree with what you guys said, you get out of something what you put into it, and if you don't have the coin to do it correctly now, then wait until you do instead of being mad when the half priced stuff you bought doesn't hold up and you have to rebuild AGAIN anyway. At the VERY least you are going to be disappointed that the cheaper parts you put in don't give you the numbers you were looking for because it wasn't made for your specific needs to begin with! Take the advice and run with it, these guys know their stuff, especially when it comes to big blocks!

I always get great info from you guys anytime I have a question about my 72 454BB Monte, and thanks to all the knowledge gurus here for always looking out for those of us who are always willing to learn from you. This guy doesn't realize what he will be missing here.

I came back on to apologize. You guys are great in giving advise. I had/have alot on my plate, and dealing with the car and wishing things were different frustrated me. I calmed down and thought about everything, and decided to send Chris Straub an email. Since a little good luck has come my way in the form of a engine job on an Eagle Talon, I should have enough money to purchase a camshaft & lifters from Chris. His cam specs seem to make the most sense to me, I'm looking to place my order this Monday. Again I am apologizing, I didn't mean to get upset and want to call it quits. I got my chevelle because of my father (RIP), So I'm sticking with it.

Sorry to hear about your dad, and glad to hear you are sticking with the project. Hey we all have those moments in life, glad to hear you had some good luck come your way with the motor job. Chris is a good guy, and will set you up with a nice package for sure. Good luck with the project, and keep us posted on the progress!

-James

^^^^^^^x2. Chris is a straight shooter. I have talked with him several times and he takes the time to explain things to you thing even though I didn't make a purchase. You'll be very happy with the purchase!

BTW glad you came back. Good people here who are willing to help for sure!

David

Ok, so how close were you to begin with? I know you had some cams in mind, but were you way off?

I suppose the tricky part was dealing with those giant heads?

I was looking at two camshaft from howards first one was a

634/640 lift

237/243@ 50

110 LSA

2nd one was a

640/640

243/249 @50

110 LSA

Not sure on exact numbers just yet from Chris but in the neighborhood of:

650/620

234/242@50

108 LSA

I think I was kinda in the right frame of mind. But I'll know exact numbers when I unwrap it.

The big stuff is mostly done. I got an Eagle 496 Rotating assembly, Forged Crank, H Beam Rod, & Probe Forged Pistons, The Pro-Comp Heads have been completely gutted, all that is pro-comp now is the casting. Howards springs, retainers, severe duty stainless valves, comp locks, comp valve seals, new bronze guides, etc.

Still need to get pushrods, (Well those are coming from Chris too) just need to get exact length, fuel pump pushrod, distributor (got my eye on the MSD 8365), Gaskets (Head, Intake, Exhuast, Oil Pan, Timing etc)Timing Chain & Gear. I think if Chris carries all this stuff, I'll just get everything from him instead of jumping all around different places. Think thats about it. Chris suggest I run a Victor Jr intake manifold. Currently I have a Air Gap, I may do it, if I can sell my Air Gap.

Mariano that's the cam Chris made for our Monte, it took 6 tenths off the 1/4 mile et (12.20's to 11.60's) on the first pass, there's more there if my wife would let me play with it....you should like it.... wink