Drag tires

wallaby

I'm just wondering from you guys that have "been there, done that": how much difference will be noticed at the dragstrip by using drag tires?

I have a torquey big-block and right now I have to "roll" into the throttle to keep the tires from spinning. Will drag TA's make a big difference, or would it be wiser to just step up to slicks for the few times I get to the strip?

I USE THE MT ET STREETS AND THEY HOOK GREAT AND YOU CAN DRIVE THEM ON THE STREET !!!! they ride nice on the street, but I wouldn't recomend driving in the rain though, that's the only draw back, but man it's great not having to change tires at the track, just let a little air out and your ready to go.

Get a pair of slicks.

I`ve used BF Goodrich drag radials at the track and they do not remotely compare to slicks.

Of course there are really fast cars using drag radials and they will tell you different, but even with a fairly stock suspension a set of slicks will make your car hook.

My dad uses the cheater slicks and has no spinning problem but I`m not sure you would want those unless you plan on leaving them on all the time.

Another thing to consider is at the track (at least at mine) when running slicks on a day when they are having test and tune, you will get more runs in. At my track there are fewer cars testing that have slicks so they usually run half the street class then come back to the not street legal lanes and run them again.

I use the Mickey Thompson ET drag tires.

Size...28/10.5-15S

The S stands for stiff sidewall, every thing I read and every person I talked to said go with the stiff sidewall. Unless you have no suspension then go with the soft sidewall so it can absorb the shock of the launch.

Plus at the top end the stiffer sidewall tires give better control with a heavy monte.

I`ve driven them to the track (45 minutes one way) with 28 lbs in them and they ride actually nice. lol

mtt-3012.jpg

Reaper...

I have about 6,000 miles on mine and the wear indicator is getting close to the tread depth.

I will continue to drive mine past the wear mark. Rain will be the factor at one point.

I ran mine at the track for a couple years so alot of tread went up in smoke wink , so it depends on what you do with them as to how long they will last.

I`ll say this though I will never put a standard street tire on the back of my car again. Part throttle would spin them (dangerous).

Now it takes about twice as much throttle to get them going. lol

cool

Well I figured slicks would be the best choice, but I guess my question is whether any of the DOT race tires like the drag radial, quick time, etc, are much better than a similar-sized street tire.

...and do you need to heat them up?

the first pass of the day you need to heat them up like this to wake the compound up.........

RobynL101.jpg

and after that just heat them up enough to get the crap off of them.

fgmcc

Wallaby...

Yes the drag radial is worth it if you don`t go with the slick, yes you do heat them up.

I don`t go in the water but haze them to get them sticky.

If I`m doing it for a photo then its a John Force burnout lol

I keep hearing the Mickey Thompson drag radial is best right now. I myself will try them for my street tire when my current ones wear out.

The one draw back is on the street when you go to do a rolling burnout (to show off) these type of tires hook-up so it appears to every one that you don`t have as much power lol .

mtt-3754r_w.jpg

I keep hearing the Mickey Thompson drag radial is best right now. I myself will try them for my street tire when my current ones wear out.

The one draw back is on the street when you go to do a rolling burnout (to show off) these type of tires hook-up so it appears to every one that you don`t have as much power lol .

....Except if your front tires come off the ground wink

Humm I haven't run street tires for about 5 years, I forgot what it was like to do some nasty street tire burn outs, hummmm I'm going to go steal the tires off of my wifes car. :rolleyes:lol

Ahhh, now I know how to beat you Sam, just catch you on the street then I can hammer it while you just sit there spinning.

lol

I have the M/T drag radials pretty nice very soft for a street tire suposed to be best one out and there are people runing insane numbers on them. I havent tried to go down on pressure to much yet but they make a huge difference!

Last time I was at Moser they had a couple of sets of the big gun drilled axles up there with the spline end shattered! I talking 35 and 40 spliner's! Both sets were from radial tire racers that switched to the MT drag radial! Both were new axle sets installed and broken on the first outing. The Mt radials bite very hard and the sidewalls don't give so the axle take a harder shock. Takes a lot of traction to shatter an axle regaurdless of the tire sidewall. Long story short the MT drag radials are some bad MOFO's!!!

Don

Ive been using the M/T ET streets for 5 years now, 26 10.5 16, my 60 foots have been in the 1.58 to 1.63 range running 11.50's at 116.

My new motor is going require a taller and wider tire so 28 11.50 15's are on the way, but im going to get a set of those new MT radials for the street, have heard great things about them.

Scott