Can anyone recommend good springs ?

Hi guys , just picked up my 72 Monte and its in dire need of springs front and rear. I want it to sit higher and stiffer and want to add bigger tires on the rear right now they are just 235 60 and they are hidden big time. Here are some pictures of the way it sits 001-34.jpg002-32.jpg004-30.jpg

From what I hear you are open to modify?

The best system out there right now, IMHO, is this:

http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspension-systems/coil-overs/

You can get them for front and rear.

If you want stock springs, TRW comes to mind...

Eibach makes loweing springs for the A-Bodies

From what I see in the pics, your Monte looks close to dead on for stock. Maybe a little low in the back but still close to stock looking.

That being said, SBC "front springs with a/c" will lift the front big time. If you want the rear tall and strong, put some El Camino variable rate springs back there. Be forewarned, those rear springs will need to be stuffed in using a jack. My sig shows that exact setup. I have since gone backwards using QA1 double adj coil overs up front and HD Monte rear springs with 1.5" spring perches. My new look is 1.5" -2" inches lower all the way around. Better weight transfer for drag racing. - Dave

ps - by the way, good looking Monte.

i installed qa1 coil springs in the stock location. they are cheap and offer alot of different spring rates. they are like $48 for 1. i have 12in by 150 in the back. they a dual rate spring also.

Thanks Dave.....Your car sits perfect. What size tires were You able to run out back with that set up and any rubbing ?

Were would a good place to get both back and fronts You listed ? Are You selling the ones You removed from Your car ? Thanks again , Phil

My rims out back are 17x9 with 5" bs and tires are 275x50x17 (up front 17x8 with 4.5" bs and tires are 255x50x17). Tires are Nitto NT450. No rubbing with the way it sat then. I trimmed about an 1/8" off the rear lip when I went back to the HD spring set up. Didn't have too, just peace of mind. No rubbing problems. - Dave

The rear springs can be had at any NAPA, etc. They are listed as "Variable Rate El Camino 1970-1972". If you can't find them local to you I could sell my spare set to you. You shouldn't have any problem finding them local. Keep in mind, the coils are wound tighter at the top and looser or wider at the bottom of the spring. - Dave

They are a direct bolt in BUT,... they will need to be stuffed in the rear with use of a floor jack. Meaning, one end of the axle housing will need to be jacked up to give you the space needed to insert the spring on the opposite side and then visa versa. Your shocks will definitely need to be disconnected. Once installed, your Monte rear will be very stiff but will handle nicely.

SBC front springs with a/c will be shorter than stock but the weight rate per inch is high. I assumed you had a small block. If you have a BBC you will need BBC front springs. - Dave

The A/C springs should do fine in the front, I put factory small block non a/c ones in my car and its way up in front, but it was only a small block car

Monte's always looked like they were lower in the rear, but in reality they were level at the rockers to the ground

It looks high in front for sure

26213280199_large.jpg

The A/C springs should do fine in the front, I put factory small block non a/c ones in my car and its way up in front, but it was only a small block car

Monte's always looked like they were lower in the rear, but in reality they were level at the rockers to the ground

It looks high in front for sure

26213280199_large.jpg

The reason they look lower in the rear is because the wheel openings are lower in the rear...

MonteNH,

Just noticed the thread and see you're also from Londonderry. PM me, I'd like to check out your car sometime.

IMHO Hotchkis springs are the best money can buy. Most "A" body guys I run into use them and love them. Rears are the same no matter the setup and front rates only change if you have a BB with iron heads(if you run aluminum they use the same rate as a SB car). As far as shocks go unless you are planning on racing I'd stay with something like a KYB. QA1's are great, but can be a PITA to get set right with all the adjustments available(I own them and wish I didn't).

QA1's are great, but can be a PITA to get set right with all the adjustments available(I own them and wish I didn't).

Since you don't want those PITA shocks, I'll take them of your hands, for free of course grin .

Since we had a conversation about your QA1s adjustment knobs, below is the example of how they should be Greg. - Dave

DoubleAdjustableQA1streetstripcoilovers.

QA1 makes awesome shocks, but at the time I bought my fronts I was given bad advice(wrong pt#) and didn't get the coilovers like I should have and therefore for me to be able to adjust my compression and rebound I have disconnect the shock to be able to get at the knobs. Seeing as I don't see me doing much racing my current settings are pretty good. My intent was to recommend a non adjustable shock if just basic cruising was your only goal. If you like to tweak your suspension and/or if you are going racing you can't beat QA1 shocks.

I bought the Hotchkis 2" drop springs and my front end sits up higher than stock for whatever reason...I'm currently in the process of yanking them out and trying something else that would give the front end a stance similar to MGD72Monte's. Or dare I cut these??? I'm running an aluminum intake and water pump, but man would that make THAT much of a difference?

front Moog coils #5536

Rear Moog,

Standard #5379 in box 14.75" on car 8.5"

Heavy Duty # 5385 in box 12.60" on car 9.0"

Cargo coils # 501 in box 12.633" on car 8.0"

I run #5536 in front

cc501 on rear

I have air bags in rear coils with 18psi (very little air.

Rides great..

McCall, with the double adjustable QA1 coil over spring and shock package I have, like pictured on page 2 of this thread, there is ride height adjustability from 0-3" inches depending on the spring rate you choose.

I went with 450 lbs/in and I can adjust my ride height from 0-2" inches in the front.

For a strictly street driven machine, I would recommend the 550 lbs/in which would allow ride height adjustments of appx 0-3" inches.

I also have a set of 350 lbs/in springs which only give an adjustment of 0-1.5" inches. The 350 springs are a little light for our Montes but were purchased for drag racing.

This is the easiest setup I know of for multiple ride height adjustability. - Dave

Thanks for the data...I just picked up some Moog 6332 and I'm gonna see how she sits with those.

Spring # Inside Dia Bar Dia Install Height Load rate (lbs) Spring Rate (Lbs/in.) Free Height Ends Type

6332 3.69 0.63 12.5 1296 271 17.28 ST

5536 3.63 0.69 11 1984.5 487 15.06 ST

With the difference in spring rates, I would think mine should drop with these installed...

I'm halfway through my spring change going from the Hotchkis 2 inch drop springs to the Moog 6332's. I cut one coil and installed it and dropped it down and she is about 2 inches lower in the front now giving me the look I was looking for. I figure I'll cut the driver side spring just a little less since it has the AC on that side..Looking like I'm gonna need to turn the tie rods out some as the camber is way out now...Just need to get it drive-able for the 3 mile drive up to the alinement shop..

I was a good Guinea Pig this week for spring experimentation.

Under the hood, I have 350, with aluminum intake and aluminum water pump, the rest is stock.

Before with the Hotchkis 2" drop small block springs, from the floor to the bottom of the wheel well centered with the derby hub cap, it measured 27.5 inches.

Before:

1972Monte.jpg

As stated above, I bought a set of Moog 6332 Non AC springs. Now since the springs where a good bit taller than my 2 inch drop Hotchkis springs that did not drop my car at all, I went ahead and blindly cut one coil off the Moog springs....Boy did that ever drop it! The floor jack could not even get under the cross member anymore! I didn't want to have to worry about speed bumps so this had to change...

After with 6332 Moog springs with one coil cut off. Measurement was 24 inches- a drop of 3.5 inches.

101_4984.jpg

101_4980.jpg

Now, in its current setup with Moog 6332 Non AC springs with no coils removed. Measurement is 26 inches-a drop of 1.5 inches from the original height. This was the height I was shooting for. The ride is great as well.

101_4989-1.jpg