Trailer Hitch

I want to install a trailer hitch on my 71 Monte. I'll be pulling a 2-motorcycle trailer. The total weight including the trailer and bikes will be under 2000 pounds. There must be something out there. Anybody know where I can get a ready made hitch?

Having had a trailer hitch on my 1970 Monte SS back in the day. I used to tow my small block Vega with it so 2 motorcycles would be a breeze. I loved getting people to race my "Tow Car" since it was faster than the race car. Who new that that trailer hitch would now be rare. I couldn't believe that a google search did not show ANY. Looks like a custom hitch from U Haul might be an option.

I have a Bumper hitch, from my 71 I used to pull a snowmobile.

I can take pictures if you are interested.

Bruce

old pic

I know this is the West Coast, but every time I hit the wrecking yards here, I see lots of early-mid 70's cars with trailer hitches. I'm sure you could find one that's easily adaptable.

Nygel

Found mine in the basement. Draw-Tite brand rated at 2000 lbs Towing / 200 lbs tongue Weight. (info stamped on the hitch itself)

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

Draw-tite is one of the better brand hitches the compony I used to work for sells them 2000 pound hitch is a class 1. They say if your within a hundred pounds or so of the limit go to the next size up. Class 1 usuly was a bumper hitch and a class 2 went to the frame also and were good up 3500 pounds. You may want to find a good welder that can build one that bolts to the frame just to be on the safe side. I have seen what can happen when people overload there hitches Its not pretty trust me. I was involved in a law suite from someone improperly useing a hitch we won because we were right but it was ugly.

I remember towing a 1963 Triumph TR-3B complete car less roof on a trailer with this hitch on my 71 Monte back in 1974. Don't remember if the trailer had one or two axles but it made it 25 miles each way no problems but I was very nervous.

Bruce

63 Triumph TR-3B

I got luck...found a "bolt-on-the-frame", Class III on craig's list for $50.00. Be sure and surch in el Camino listings or clubs, too!!!! Any local-area hitch shop should fab one up for under $300.00. I have friends with Fords and Mopars and it makes a great place to hook a tow-rope to.

I had a '70 that came with a class III and it was an ugly sucker.

It had a cross-bar that came down from the frame and crossed under the front 1/3 of the gas tank... hanging under that was the square tube thingy that extended rearward to the bumper. I don't recall what held up the rear end of the reciever tube; for all I know it could have been bolted to the bottom of the bumper.

It was always in plain sight and not pretty to look at. It was like a bunch of heavy metal pieces hanging down below the fuel tank... a real eye-sore.

I've got a Original trailer hitch that actually came on the car from the dealer I bought about 7 years ago. I bolts to the trunk pan and the bumper, I think. I haven't looked at it in years. Do not know what it's rated though. I don't need it so it's available. Drop me a message.

LOL love that tiny little trailer. I have a frame mounted tow hitch that came with the car when it was new. I am planning on putting it back on the car. I hope to find an old true tear drop trailer that needs rebuilding and restore it to go with the Monte. I think matching paint jobs would look great.

We have a guy that lives around here somewhere that has a corvair wagon that he tows a period correct camping trailer with. He brings the car and trailer to the shows its kinda neet. Tom Carter has a class 3 hitch on his 70 Monte but I dont know if he uses it ill ask him when I see him.