Rear tire question

Went thru the tire sticky a few times and didn't see an answer. Does anyone other than Greg(Mom's Car) run a 295 tire on the rear? 275 is the most common and I know a few guys have a 325. I'm looking at the 50 (about 27 inches, same as stock height), 55(just under 28 inches) and the 60(about 29 inches).

Thanks for any help, just looking for some input before purchasing.

I'm looking at 15's, sorry I didn't specify. But a 295 is a 295, how much room do have up in the wheel well? And what height are yours? Thanks.

Thanks for the info Robert. I have 8 inch rims, I will have to take some measurments before I mount the tires, I didn't think 10's would fit.

Hey Steve, I ran 15x8 corvette rallies on my 72 monte with a 295-50-15 TA and they rubbed...the wheel well lip had to be cut almost flush or right off for them to work and I wont do it again as the rear quarter lost its strength around the wheel well lip and started to ripple after a while....

Darren.

its all in the negative offset of the rim Steve...the factory 4 1/2 backspace wont work you need I think a minimum of 5inch backspace or even a 5 1/4 to make sure...

with a 15" wheel 8" is as wide as you can go and you will need 5" of backspacing and a 275/60 tire will be the biggest tire you can run without any fitment issues(no modifications whatsoever). Many have tried different setups and it just didn't work with a 15" wheel. Use another diameter wheel and you have more options.

Thanks for the input guys this all good info. I know I will have to trim a little and maybe even do some hammer work, I'm just trying to figure how much.

Darren I have 5 inch back space so I should be good there.

Great Steve....Greg is right a 275 60 15 will fit just right under there with no rub but because as you mentioned the 60 series in that 275 range will look big on a side view and make the rear end look like it is sagging or sitting to high up into the wheel well, yet the 295-50-15 makes it look great in the wheel well and you cant mistake that kick butt look on those boots from the rear end but they do rub like on my 72 monte did unless you trim as you said. The 295-50-15 fits on the 70 chevelle perfect with no trimming only because the rear quarters bulge outwards yet the monte is more flush.. If you are after a 50 series still Steve have you thought of the 245-50-15 or 275-50-15??? it is an old school size and not a lot of tire makers make it anymore but if you go onto Ebaymotors and enter the size I mentioned you will find them for sale from time to time but not to often, and you may go that way with a 235-60-15 on the front or ??? Tire Rack will have the tire size chart to help out with the numbers you are seeking.......just my last 2 cents here Steve thats all.......

Darren.

Thanks for all the help guys. I went with 275's due to no mods needed right now. I will be taking measurments once they're on and go from there. Also going to be doing a posi carrier and c-clip eliminator kit this winter so I know the wheel position will be moving.