January 1969: Early Monte Carlo Program Info

While going through stuff in my mom's garage recently, I came across more old magazines (yes, there's more!). Included among them was a Popular Science from January 1969. Seeing that it had a 4-way comparison test of the [then] new '69 Camaro, Cougar, Firebird, and Mustang, I thought it would be fun to look through - as there may be more cool car stuff in it.

Many of us know that the Monte Carlo program was given the green light in early 1968, and a name that was being considered for the new model during the development stage was "Concours". Well, while looking through the vintage Popular Science last night, I came across some more historical Monte Carlo information. Right there on page 48 at the top of the "Detroit Report" column by Jim Dunne, the detroit editor, a highlighted yellow block contains the following...

"WATCH FOR A NEW CHEVROLET LINE to compete with the Ford Thunderbird for 1970. As yet unnamed, the new car will share GM's G-body shell with Pontiac's Grand Prix. Insiders say one name under consideration is "Chaparral," the same as Jim Hall's Chevrolet-powered racing cars. Front styling will resemble the Chevelle's, but the grille has richer-looking, heavier bars, and a new larger bumper has built-in, round parking lights. Wheelbase will be about 118 inches."

This was the first time I'd ever read anywhere another actual name (other than "Concours") that was being considered for our cars! I guess it was ultimately decided that "Concours" was a little too stuffy for a 2-door sport coupe with a semi-fastback roofline and rally car-inspired fender bulges, and that "Chaparral" was too all-out racy. "Monte Carlo" kind of crossed the bridge between the two, and was deemed to be just right.

But just think; if the name "Concours" or "Chaparral" had been used instead of "Monte Carlo", this great club would today be known as the FGCC, and the NMCOA would be known as the NCOA. So, just smile and wave when someone mistakenly says, "Nice Chevelle!", as you drive by in your first generation Chevrolet "Chaparral".

smile

Dave

• Like 1

I really thought more people would've found this to be interesting. Oh well - at least a few of you guys did!

Yes, Aaron, I'll bet that because conceptually the Chapar... umm, Monte Carlo is similar to the Grand Prix, it was thought the Chevrolet model would've joined the Grand Prix as a G-body sibling with a 118" wheelbase as well. But doing so would've made it harder to offer at a "Chevrolet Price".

I'm pretty happy with the Monte Carlo name, too, Chris.

smile

Dave

I found it interesting but just don't have the time lately to respond to all the posts here on the forums. I do read most if not all of the threads but with it being Summer I am cutting back on my responses...I imagine alot of the people might be the same way... smile

I found it interesting but just don't have the time lately to respond to all the posts here on the forums.

Believe me, Bill, I hear ya! No worries.

smile

Dave

I wish they would have named it the Concours after the Chevelle wagon, then all you guys couldn't give me such a hard time... grin

It's a good thing they named it Monte Carlo because I have all these emblems.... wink

for some reason I just saw this post for the first time. Very interesting stuff. Never ever knew that. Its one of those things that I dont believe has ever been brought up here in our 11 year history. Cool

Dave I wonder if that name had anything to do with the "The High Chaparral" (TV Series 1967–1971) It was a current T.V. show?

here is the article.. "popular science"

books.png

That's it, Rod! That must be a black and white scanned copy, because the highlighted yellow rectangle that's printed behind the Monte Carlo info isn't showing up here the way it does in the actual magazine. Thanks for including it with your post!

It's also interesting to read what they have to say about other upcoming model changes for '70, isn't it? And just think; The Beatles released their Yellow Submarine album about a month after this issue of Popular Science hit the magazine stands.

I remember hearing my dad talk about the show, High Chaparral, but I don't think I've ever seen it. When I was a kid I had a plastic Chaparral toy race car, though.

smile

Dave

I love this stuff. I also really enjoy the line drawings and pictures of the clay design models. Interestiong to watch the progression of a design element, see what almost was or to see what thankfully didn't happen. Somewhere there is a picture of a full size clay model of a 4 door hardtop 1970 Monte.

Dave,

definitely a nice article and a bit of history. A retrospect into the early making of our beloved "Monte". A moment in time if you will, although I remember a big hoopla being made over other models such as.. the Vega & Pinto. I couldn't see myself driving around in a "Chaparral". Thank the lord that didn't happen. lol

"Chaparral" would have been keeping with the practice of all Chevrolet model names starting with a "C".

Yeah, it would have. In addition to being known for having the longest bonnet of any Chevy model at that time, the fact that the Monte Carlo's name didn't start with a "C" was also noted by automotive journalists of the day.

And Rod - Vega... Pinto... yeah... and don't forget the Gremlin! Chaparral sounds pretty close to Chevelle too, doesn't it?

But regardless of the name, I don't think it would've swayed the legendary Popular Mechanix automotive journalist, Tom McCahill, from writing that the Monte Carlo was "the best looking Chevrolet ever slapped together". (Dec 1969)

smile

Dave

Thats very interesting. Although the ended up going with the A-Body structure and not the G-body.

Never heard that name before, learn something new everyday. smile