Vibration at 65

I am starting to believe the problem is my after market Vintique Rallys. I had them rotated and now feel the vibration in the front at 65 MPH and above. Have had them balanced several times even on the lug holes instead of center balance.

Any advice on how to cure the vibration? they are 15 x 8 with 235/60/15 Uniroyal Tiger Paws.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jim, are you sure it's the rims.? how about the tires, sure they are steel belted radials but they still have nylon and polyester cords in them on the sidewalls and shoulders. Maybe the tires that were on the rear either one or both have some nylon cords that are broke or even a steel belt in the treat that has let go and the rest is still holding things together but causes a Thump or vibration....usually called cupping or seperated.??? Just my 2 cents worth...

Darren.

I am starting to believe the problem is my after market Vintique Rallys. I had them rotated and now feel the vibration in the front at 65 MPH and above. Have had them balanced several times even on the lug holes instead of center balance.

Any advice on how to cure the vibration? they are 15 x 8 with 235/60/15 Uniroyal Tiger Paws.

I had the same issue with mine, and eventually went and had them balanced on the car... I then marked the hub and the wheel when I took them off and on for other work...

Chris,

you're not talking about one of these are you? Man! you can't be that old..if you are referring to said "hunter balancer" I remember how useful they were..but difficult & time consuming to set-up. Oh! the past.. you think they'd have a balancer, such as, still in use. confused

75014d1296581352-supersnake-704-rear-whe

I agree find someone with a Hunter road force balancer. It will match the tire to the best location on the wheel or if it has too much road force then you will either have to drive 67mph or replace it.

Yeah! Yeah!.. but our machine used to balance them on the car.. lol

That is the machine the "old guy" used to do mine on the car grin

Jim,

have them check rim "wobble." The sophisticated new hunters will catch both lateral and radial LOADED runout, and will show the operator how to re-orient the tire on the rim to minimize radial runout. I once had a bent stock rally wheel.. That!! I swore was never the culprit, till I had it replaced, what a difference. The potholes here are not forgiving..plus these new after market wheels are weak. A warped rim or an out of round tire would give a similar vibration.

I have a similar issue with my radial TA's...I assume they don't like to sit for long periods. When I first take her out for a drive I'm aware of a vibration that seems wasn't there before... but as I continue driving it goes away as the tires warm up on the highway. It's not something that I notice at speeds under 60mph or so, and it isn't severe...I doubt others in the car would notice.

It takes me about 15 minutes of highway driving to resolve itself.

I'm just thinking that if your car sits a lot, it might be getting a flat spot in the tire that needs to be "massaged" out by getting it warm and rolling. It seems to me that if you take it in for balance and it's cold with a flat spot, the weights they use to correct it are going to be in the wrong place or unneeded once the tire gets warm & round again.

Maybe the solution is to take a 40 minute drive on the highway before you drop the car off for tire balancing? Talk with your chosen tire guy, maybe he can arrange to have the team get right on the project when you get there.

I just got back and we found I had 1 wheel tire that was above acceptable force. He rebalanced all and moved the worse 1 to the driver rear. The two front tires have 22 force where 27 and below is acceptable then the driver rear is 35 and the passenger rear is 24.

I took it on the highway up to 85 MPH and it was very improved. If It gets worse I will swap tires on that wheel. My spare has a new tire also same type and size.

I understand about the flat spots and I will keep that in mind next time.

Thanks guys for your help.

If you have a spare, was it tested? I would use the spare and put the bad one in the trunk ASAP. My spare is still a G 70 x 15 Goodyear OEM tire, man it's old.

Bruce

Now if someone had a new unilug 15 x 8 rally for sale I could put my spare tire on it and just change them out. My rally's are the unilug rally that came as a set of 4 with beauty rings and plastic derby caps.

Cool, something I suggested actually worked. Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will go check the air in my spare tire now. Last time (about three years ago) it was very very low.

Bruce

something else completely off the wall if you're still having any bouncing/wobble... check the shocks/coils... I'm having the same problem in the front and have finally diagnosed it as being the coil/shock going worse than bad ( yeah they can go that far! lol ) and they're causing a funny bounce/wobble on the driver front.... I blame country roads.