Drag radials/what kind how wide?

dbreese

Since I installed my stroker motor I've got some traction issues. The 215-70-15 out back are not up to the task. I want to get some 15x8 rallys out back. Was thinking about using bf goodrich drag radials maybe 235-60-15. They are a little shorter than the 215-70-15's (26.9 to 26.1). Are any of you ya'll running these tires or have run them in the past? Any help would be great!

Thanks

David

David, I've heard many street runners say that the BFG drag radials are great. I'm run'n 15 X 8 Corvette rallys with regular GY radial 255/60/15s. Believe this is the widest tire that'll fit in the stock wheel well area with "stock wheel" backspacing. Although, the rear of my car sits about 1/2"-1" higher than stock due to new rear OEM springs that have never returned to stock height after three year of useage. Ed

dbreese, go with the drag radials. Run them at 32 psi on the street drive just like reg tire. At the track drop the pressure to 20 psi and they get way more traction. The 265 will fit on most cars with the 15 x 8 wheel.

Don

Why Radials? I don't mean to scare you off and you can do what you want, and I've never ran drag radials but I've seen alot of them at the trac and they don't really impress me much. I run M/T ET Streets. They hook real good at the track and keep me legal on the way to the track. They are not good at all in wet conditions though, so you would'nt want to get caught out anywhere with them on in a rain storm. I've seen guys run BF Goodrich an some other off brand drag radials and they just did'nt hook that good, may have been the new track or they just did'nt have the air pressure right, dunno. I guess it all depends on what you have in mind on usage for the tire. I have my ET Streets on a seperate set of corvette 15x8 ralley rims just for the track. I don't drive on them but to the track and back. I figure I'll get two good seasons out of them. They are basicaly a slick with some grooves in the tread to make them DOT legal for the street. Your choice though, I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting radials. just throwing in my 2cents. laugh

Just for your info, I run 15x26x10 tire with 3.73 gears. They work out good. I had to do alittle modifications to the suspenssion 9airbags, South Side Mahine lift bars) to really make it hook hard. I run around 10 to 13 pounds in the tires.

Jon.

The drag radial will help but they are not as good as a M/T or Hooier Quick Time Pro. I have seen guys 1.5 60' foot with a drag radial. The only thing is they stay in the burn out box for what seems like forever. So I don't know how long they will last having to burn them that long to get them hot enough to stick. The guys that don't spend a long time in the box don't get much better 60' times than a regular tire. The drag radials do ride a lot better than the bias ply counter parts. Monte

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the input!

Since my car will not see alot of strip time I was looking for the best of both worlds and had heard the drag radials were a pretty good trade off between full on traction and good road manners.

George, I went to M/T website and didn't see any listing for drag radials. What mag did you see them in?

Thanks

David

Originally posted by dbreese:

[qb] Hey Guys!

George, I went to M/T website and didn't see any listing for drag radials. What mag did you see them in?

Thanks David

It was not an advertisement, just a mention in something I was reading about drag radials recently. I looked for it but couldn't find. I have M/T Sportsman "I's" 10.5" wide on mine. Totally awsome grip. Supprisingly good rain tire. With my 519lb @ 2,000rpm BB, I can break them loose if I try real hard. I got about 20,000 mi on the last set running on the street.