Rally rim differences

Recently I restored the scratched and dull trim at the base of my windshield by wet sanding and using a Powerball. It now shines like chrome!

Anyway, this may sound strange, but there were several dings in the trim as well, and I was able to work them out using a hammer and a wooden spoon (it's called improvising laugh ). By adjusting the way in which I held the spoon, I was able to match the contour of the trim as I tapped around and finally over the dings from the backside. Use the circling technique: tap clockwise around the ding in ever smaller circles. I had previously marked the area around the dings being worked with a black Sharpie so that I didn't lose track of each dings location as they gradually disappeared.

Your trim rings present a slightly different problem in that, depending on where the dings are, working them out from the backside means working with a convex rather than concave surface. You may have to improvise smile by looking for something that matches the ring's curvature where the ding is and then holding the ring against it (to keep it from bending) as you carefully work it out from the backside. Something curved made of wood would be preferable, but even a harder surface covered by a towel or layers of newspaper might do the trick. Just be patient - don't rush it.

For bad dings you can use a rounded punch on the backside (again circling around it) and a fine rounded file on the front side, but I've never tried this technique. I'd definitely practice on something beforehand.

If the ding is really bad, you may have to settle for just making it better, rather than eliminating the imperfection completely.

I'm certainly no expert on this - perhaps someone else has repaired dings in their trim rings and can give you better advice on how to proceed.

Mike, just finished reconditioning some original trim rings on my 70 SS Monte. They originally came off a 70 Impala that was wearing FW code ralleys and what Bob told you about the restoration process is correct. In fact you can search YouTube for stainless steel restoration and find a three part series on restoring stainless steel (stainless steel for dummies I think) that provides a video and explanation of the process.

It is time consuming, tedious and the small dent removal (assuming it's in a place you can actually get to) is accomplished slowly beginning with gentle taps progressing up to SLIGHTLY heavier blows to remove them. Bob is also right with respect to the use of ultra fine sandpaper or emery cloth (which is also shown in the video) followed by the careful application of in my case, buffing with my buffer wheel using progressively finer rouges just before finishing up with a good chrome/stainless steel polish.

Mine look like new and they were in worse shape than yours are. Take your time and you'll be surprised how much better you can make them look.

John