Restoring Emails

DavidTX

I have Windows XP and Outlook Express 6.

I was asked if I wanted to Compress the files or something like that and I responded yes. While the files were being "compressed" I accidentally clicked on delete files and in fact deleted all my email files. I get no results when I attempt to restore my files, it will not allow me to. Is there any way to restore my emails?

Have`t used outlook in years. But you can give this a try.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

It`s free. If I remember correctly from the last time I used it you can specify what you want it to look for.

In this case you will want to look for files with the .dbx file extension.

That is what outlook uses to store the e mails in.

Good luck.

A very special thanks to Fred for providing the solution to my problem. I was able to recover all but one folder and it was one that I can live without.

It is very rewarding to see we have such great people on our forums that are willing to share their information.

Just an update for those who may have followed this thread.

In this instance Recuva was not needed or used.

I do vouch for the safety and effectiveness of the program (for whatever that is worth) for finding almost any type of accidentally deleted file.

Of course due to the way PC`s work, there are some circumstances where recovery of any part\all of the file(s) may not be possible without sending it to a professional recovery company.

Not a cheap proposition. Most reputable companies do not charge if no recovery is made. And then have a set fee per either megabyte or gigabyte recovered.

Should anyone else ever find themselves in need of recovering lost e mails from Outlook or Outlook Express, as well as other PC based e mail programs, there are some good free tutorials available on the Web via a Google search.

This does not include Web based e mail such as Yahoo, Google, etc.

great info to know!

smile

Glad to have been helpful.

But hopefully no one ever has the need. Loosing months, years of collected information, records, movies, music and pictures is frustrating at the least. Heart breaking at it`s worst.

Been there and done that. cry

Back up your important stuff. And I do not mean to a different place or partition on the same hard drive. If the drive fails it does not matter where the information on it was located. It is likely lost.

Add a second hard drive. Really fairly simple to do.

or

Buy an external hard drive. Back-up important stuff regularly. Shut it off, disconnect it from the PC and store it in a safe place.

or

Buy a good quality flash drive. Do the same as you do with the external hard drive.

or

Burn your stuff to quality CD`s or DVD`s. Keep them stored in a case in a cool dark environment.

Do not use disks labeled as RW for long term storage.

IMO avoid memorex products like the plague.

I have had very good luck with TDK.

A search of google for "long term storage CD\DVD`s will show you some other popular but not often heard of brands. Cost more then most brands, considerably more then the generic`s but how much is your data worth to you?

Be aware. All things have a life expectancy. Computer hard drives are around 5+\- years.< Depending on usage. If your a gamer, PC runs hot, live in a warmer environment, maybe less. Flash drives are rated by read\write cycles. Quality disks are usually considered good for around 8 to 10 years. < If they are a good brand and handled, stored properly.

The key to proper back-up is`t just doing it once but doing it to multiple devices as well.

Lucky for me the guy whos Cougar I restored does Computer stuff for Verizon, he revived my laptop after a major meltdown and lost no info yay

I guess Im gonna owe him big time

By all means compensate him.

But keep in mind what you consider a major melt down may have been an easy, though time consuming, fix to him.

In many cases the PC can fix itself. Someone just has to know what buttons to push in the proper program(s).

Then we can walk away or set and watch the screen while it shows you what is happening inside the PC.