UMI upper and lower control arms

MonteNH

I put PMT rear control arms on my Monte last year and have been very pleased with them. They are made in the USA and the quality was outstanding. Whatever brand you buy, be sure to order the lower control arms with the holes for a sway bar in case you decide to add later.

Mike

Did you get the tubular ones or the boxed ones? Also, did you get the braces and bushings too? Just had to ask. Mine aren't here yet. I was waffling on which set I wanted, tubular or boxed and the price of the tubular set was really hard to pass up.

I got tubular with mounting kit and bushings for $309 shipped to my door. I didnt get the braces , dont know how important they are or aren't though. I seen the boxed ones after I made my order and I might have gone with them instead had I seen them first. What are Your thoughts ( Cbolt ) on the tubular ones vs boxed ?

Let me start by saying I am in no means an expert on rear control arms but here are my thoughts: I don't know about quality but the boxed set looks more like standard equipment and they look more "sturdy". Not that I am planning on launching with 500 ft/lbs of torque or anything but was looking to keep as much of the stock appearance as possible and get the biggest bang for the buck. My opinion is that the tubular control arms are going to be sufficient for my particular application and the price is impossible to beat judging by everyones opinion of the quality so I am debating (still) which ones to order. I *want* the boxed control arms but at almost $90 difference I am still leaning towards the tubular, especially considering I am planning on ordering the whole package; uppers, lowers, braces, bushings, and the installation tool. I still have time to make my decision because my axles aren't scheduled to be delivered until tomorrow sometime and I have to manufacture an accelerator cable, dial in the new transmission and break in the rear gears. All that being said I would love to hear your thoughts once you get yours installed and a few miles on them.

Your thinking is pretty much same as mine. I dont plan on taking my car to the track. I just purchased 3:73 gears and a posi unit so I figured it couldnt hurt to upgrade the control arms. That being said the tubular have to be an upgrade to the stock 40 yr old ones.

I will keep you posted as to how everything goes. They should be installed over the weekend.

Perfect and thanks. I am working this weekend so won't get anything done anyway and you will probably be out checking everything out. I know I would be!

What posi unit did you get?

I got the Auburn as well and Jegs upgraded me to the better of the two Auburn units offered because they screwed up my original order of the Eaton unit. Nice of them. I also got the Richmond 3.73 gears. When are you doing your differential upgrade?

I know exactly how you feel. I started this project, trans and rear swap, back in August. I keep running into things that need replaced or just things I want to replace while I am in there. The "snowball" effect essentially. It may be worse for you as I think your driving season is going to end soon, compared with mine here in Florida. on the bright side, at least my car "sat out" the love-bug season.