How fast are you big block guys running?

Hey Everyone-

The subject line pretty much speaks for itself. What times are big blcok montes running with what mods? Heads, cam, trans, rear, etc. Thanks a lot

------------------

Matt Dwyer

78 Malibu wagon w/ 87 GN drivetrain

Country street testing indicates in the low 11's or hi 10's at about 120mph with a highly modified 396 (409.8 cubes.) Myself, I run prety slow nowdays. LOL!

Crate GM 454 HO.

7.8 sec in the 1/8 mile which is about 12.5 in the 1/4 mile. Street Tires. All engine.

------------------

71 Monte 454 HO 5- Speed "FULMNTE"

01 Camaro V6

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

newsig.jpg

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

montesmile.jpg

just ran my bone stock ss454 at norwalk today for there 50s weekend 15.90 and a 16.10,i was the only monte there i think. gene

9.46 @ 144 with a 468 2-bolt main and oval port heads.Full interior(bench seat front and back)stock style suspension.A little shot of n2o.1.38 sixty foot time on a 10.5 slick through mufflers.Soon to shatter that record,with a pending bet with Ben from Long Island.

Hey, Good to see ya Mike. Keep me posted on the new Dart M. How's it coming along? Did you get the fab-9 in yet? Do you have a cage with that bench seat? If it's not caged, I'd like to see the look on the track manager's face after your first pass. biggrin.gif

Later, Daryl

Hey Daryl,yeah just plugging along.The Fab-9 is in, motor is in.It's been a heck of month, thrashing every spare minute.I was planning on firing it up today but discovered a leak in my radiator when I was filling it.So off to the rad. shop to fix it.Hopefully they can other wise $200.00 for a recore or $300.00+ for an aluminum that probably won't fit right.I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Loyd....if your smoking , now may be the time for a new set of rings . do a leakdown test on the cyclinders first though cause maybe its just bad valve stem seals wink.gif

mike

Thanks Grease, fortunately for me the old valve stem, and seals are in fine condition; you know how hard it would be to find parts for a 1958 Lloyd, well we won’t go there. I just hope I do not pass out doing the leak down. A re-ring job may be out of the question, as the old cylinders have quite a few miles on them.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally posted by aubreyt213:
Andreas, what do you think you were running when you first put in that 454HO without doing anything to it?

I can tell you exactly. 7.9 sec on the 1/8 mile... smile.gif

Best of 11.80 at 114.12 in the 400 turbo car.

The 4 speed car went 12.79 through the mufflers on hoosier quick times. The 71 SS went 13.87 at 99+ rolling in of the street. The Corvette went 14.42 bone stock taking it fairly easy.

------------------

70 Monte, 454, auto. 70 Monte, 454+.030, 4speed.71 Monte, 350 beater. 71 Monte SS 454. 65 Corvette coupe 365hp.

• 2 months later...

With a stock ZZ502, 4030 lb with driver race weight, M/T ET streets, my 72 ran the times below. Oh yeah, I later found out that the timing was retarded 2 degrees from what GM recommends. It was set at 10 degrees BTDC(GM recommends 12 degrees) and now it is set at 14 degrees.

60' = 1.750

1/8 = 7.75 @ 89.04

1/4 = 12.20 @ 109.84

air temp = 85 and humid

weight = 4030 with jack, spare, and 3/4 tank of fuel (I have to run over half tank of fuel because tank is not sumped yet).

I believe this car will run flat 12's to high 11's at 111-112 mph with the timing at 14 (where it is now), cooler air, and if I remove the spare tire, jack, and run less fuel. The time mentioned above was the 2nd pass I made since the 355 to 502 conversion.

• 1 year later...

My best time was 14.10 with 402. Mods are, weiand stelth intake,edelbrock 750,headers, 3:73 gears,msd 6a, msd distributor,rebuilt 400th w/shift kit. This time was with street tires.

Boy,where did this old thing come from ? Update:Went 8.39 @ 164 MPH Saturday night at Union Grove.Qualified #3 in a 16 car field.Still bench seats and all.We have to weigh the cars after every pass to make sure we're legal,I'm #3720 with driver.That makes me legal by 360lbs.

Went 12.90s with stickies with this mild combo:

454, 9.5 to 1

Oval ports with 2.19 valves

Erson 230 @ 050, .538" lift

HEI, 38 degrees total

Strip Dominator

800 Holley DP

Open Exhaust

2200 convertor

3:31 gears

4000lbs without me

Shawn,

I may be a little conservative, it may be closer to 10:1 cuz I had the 116 cc heads shaved .030".

Anyway, to answer your question, yes I must run premium all the time or it pings.

Just posting some food for thought, cause I know that the question was regarding big block performace. However just to add some fire to the small block - big block war. My 72 monte ran 12.30 at 109 with the following motor setup. Just to let you know this was with only a 2000 stall converter and a bad valve body that I had to shift at 5400 and it would end up freewheeling until it hit 6000rpm. I unhooked the exhaust and ran thorugh the headers on M/T ET Streets. The car has a totally stock suspension with a narrowed 12 bolt and 3:73's. Interior is all stock seats etc. and I did take out the air-cond. and heater core and am running weld drag-lites all the way around. The gas tank was more than 3/4 full and I am a 180 pound dirver so I'm guess that puts my car at right around 3850 or so.

383 SBC

10:1 CR

Edelbrock E-Tec 200 Heads

Edel. RPM Air Gap Intake

Holley 780 Vaccum Sec.

All MSD Ignition

Fordged Bottom End

Turbo 350

2000 Stall

Manual Vavlve body (Sort of) mad

This should renew the rilvary