For your entertainment.

meddac

If it was an Oshawa built car, all he would need to do is write G.M. H.O. in Oshawa and get the option printout package for that specific VIN number. Also, an Oshawa built car has the Z20 code stamped on the VIN plate on the driver's side under the hood up by the windshield....not sure if the Flint builds have it in the same place. I'm sure all of you know this stuff already but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Also, I know 100% that my 71 is a true SS because I have the benefit of my Uncle buying the car new so regarding the guage package, I know 100% that it was an option for 71 including on the SS as mine doesn't have it. Mine has power windows, power locks, buckets, air con, power trunk, remote driver's mirror and yes, I have the load leveling equipment still but it isn't on the car presently. The load leveling compressor and shocks were extremely problematic in their day. I remember my Uncle cursing that system often but if I remember correctly, most of the problems were with the hoses. Is there a fix for them that makes them more reliable? If not, I'll leave mine in the box at least for now.

I had a conversation with my Dad last weekend. He is 82 years old and worked on the line in Oshawa and then the stamping plant in Oshawa for a total of 32 years. He remembers that in 1971 he was working on the line in Oshawa in the chassis plant and the 71 Monte rolled down the line in front of him every day. I thought that was pretty neat.

That is a cool story, glad you can keep it in the family. And just for information mine was built in Flint Michigan plant and has the body code plate in the same spot on the cowl just below the windshield on the drivers side.

I wish it had been an Oshawa built car but meh!!! what ya gonna do? I understand why where it was bought new it came from that plant, as stated many (not all) of the Oshawa cars ended up sold a fair distance from here. I'd be curious where an Alaskan dealership got there's from as normally it is geographic regions that they shipped to and it would seem either of these 2 plants would be a long haul. Maybe on in Midwest or West coast...who knows??

Uh, Rob, are you at it again with an early April Fool's joke on this one. You did good on this one, Rob!! Oh, wait a sec, this person is actually serious. Sorry, I was going to give Rob credit for a good prank.

...I am just thankful I have a regular Monte so I don't have to deal with all the drama.

lol

Good one, MG! Well, Jonathan's title for this post is "For Your Entertainment", after all!

grin

Bucket seats were in about 17% of '70 Monte Carlos. SS454s accounted for less than 3% of '70 production. How then can they state "Buckets, middle console + floor shifter only in SS edition"? They were optional in any Monte Carlo and not only do sales brochures support that, but so do the production numbers - let alone what we've seen in the actual cars since they were new!

And unless I'm remembering incorrectly, it is my understanding that 12-bolt rear ends were in all big-block cars (not just 454s), and many 350 4-bbl cars left the factory with them as well. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here - or please verify this because I'd like to know one way or the other.

Now I don't claim to be the "Galen Govier" of SS454s, but there is nothing in the photos or description about this car that indicate to me it's an SS. Man, it doesn't even have a set of repro "SS454" emblems on the rocker panel trim to make you look twice and wonder!

smile

Dave

In 1970, I beleive all cars got a 12 bolt unless it had a 350 2-barrel engine. Possibly the 400 2-barrel had a 10 bolt but not sure. My 70 350 4-barrel came with a 12 bolt so it's definately not an indicator of an SS or even a big block.

Canuck, My 1970 that originaly came with the 400 2 barrel has a 12 bolt. I think the only ones that came with the 10 bolt were the 350 2 barrel. David

Good to know. Thanks! smile

Has this been confirmed? I need to see if there is a build sheet for mine. I know it has a 350 and it was swapped at some point and it has a Rochester Quad 4bbl that is suppose to be original and it does from the info I could find have a 10 bolt 8.5 no posi in the rear? hmm need to delve deeper into codes on this car when I get out under it next.

Has this been confirmed? I need to see if there is a build sheet for mine. I know it has a 350 and it was swapped at some point and it has a Rochester Quad 4bbl that is suppose to be original and it does from the info I could find have a 10 bolt 8.5 no posi in the rear? hmm need to delve deeper into codes on this car when I get out under it next.

Yes, it has been confirmed. If you look at the AMA documents that Chevy filed, they clearly show that a 350 2 barrel got a 10 bolt and that 350 4 barrel and up all got 12 bolts. There was no option code to upgrade a 10 bolt to a 12 bolt, or to downgrade a 12 bolt to a 10 bolt. You can look at the AMA booklets if you got to the Restorer forum and look on page 5 for a topic called "Great Source of Information" There is a link to the booklets for each year of Monte Carlo.

Guest knightfan2691
Ignorance is bliss (when you're trying to pass something off as something it's not.)

Heh ... yes, just ask Ch#$r%*et, considering they've been doing just that for over 20 years now, starting with the Toyota Nova of the mid-1980s.....

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic

* PRE-SURGERY PARTY = ~5:30p-10:30p, Saturday, 10/29/2011 at Beef Villa, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *

"Just a little insight won't make this right" __ All-American Rejects __ 'It Ends Tonight'

I remember seeing this car in person and I'm pretty sure it had a 502 in it. Nothing on this car made me think it was an SS..it was listed on craigslist and did not claim to be an SS car. There are two true 70 SS Monte's in Alaska that I know of one of which is mine and the other is a blue one with black top that was bought from a member on this site last year. Also have seen a 72 custom that some goof ball ruined by tricking it out.

LOL It's back RELIST ON Ebay on for another attempt but at least they are not saying it's a super sport now though this qoute is still a joke: "Here are the specs in this vehicle that are also found in the SS Option Package

1. 12 Bolt Rear

2. bucket seats

3. Automatic shifter, with

the burl-wood trim top matching dash

4. Middle console

5. 454 BB engine, which is new, not original!

I'll just watch this time to avoid the F bomb again LOL crazy

• 4 weeks later...