Rear Coil Springs?

UncleJ

I'm in the process of replacing rear coil springs for my '72 Monte. I'm looking for help regarding what springs to use. I've heard that many Monte owners use Moogs but is their much difference between these and Napa brand? Plus, do you recommend Standard, Heavy Duty or Variable Rate? Btw, I'm hoping to lift my sagging rear end. Good one eh?

6318557721_fe9b6d7293.jpg

72Monte by lewbella, on Flickr

Welcome Jason. smile I used Moogs in both my Montes. I just got the stock original style springs and it brought the rear up a fair amount from the old sagging springs.

I replaced my rear springs a couple years ago and what I found out( the springs from autozone do not have the moog name on the box but are made by moog and even has the same part number as moog) anyway This time around I replaced with the Cargo Coil CC501's brings it back to correct height with the added for putting the kids in the car or loading the trunk. Back in the 80's when I replaced I went with a rear spring from an Old's Vista Cruiser wagon and it gave about 1.5-2 inches of lift.

Excellent. When you put additional weight in the Monte, it will not sag due to these springs. It is comfortable and still retains the proper height. I have installed them and are very happy with them.

Excellent. When you put additional weight in the Monte, it will not sag due to these springs. It is comfortable and still retains the proper height. I have installed them and are very happy with them.

ditto

• 2 weeks later...

I installed new Moogs a few months ago. I had hopes that it would raise my back end up as it seemed to be sagging. Well after installing the new Moogs, it turned out to be the same height as before. So I am looking at doing the El Camino springs now. Anyone want to buy some new Moogs LOL

• 1 month later...

I used the cc501 on mine and it picked it up nearly 2 inches but my old springs were really weak (still orig) 40 years old. Normally when you line a cc up next to an oe spring the cc is a bit shorter due to the heaver coils. On mine the cc were about an inch longer due to the excessive wear in the old ones. Thats how I got that ammount of lift. Cargo coils are not designed to lift the rear but to keep it at the stock height and hold it there better with extra weight in the rear. I would have to check at my buddys shop to see what the listings are for the elcamino. Hope that helps a bit.

The El Camino variable rate springs are a bit longer than any of the Monte springs. I had them in my Monte for a while. They have to be "stuffed" into place. You will need to disconnect the lower rear portion of the control arm from the axle housing to get the movement/space needed to insert the spring. You will also need the aid of a floor jack. Usually to lift the opposite end of the axle you are working with. This allows some downward movement on the other end of the axle to get the spring seated. Once everything is in and bolted back up, they work fine. It will stiffen your rear end significantly. Works very well on the street, especially cornering, but not so much for drag racing. Since I wanted a tuneable suspension, I changed my whole setup to QA1s and need the softer springs.

You can get the elkie springs from the local NAPA, etc and they fall under "1970-1972 variable rate El Camino springs" Not Chevelle, not Monte Carlo, not Chevy Wagon. And remember, the tighter wound portion of the spring goes to the top of the spring tower.

My siggy pic below shows the car with new front stock springs and the rear was outfitted with the Elkie variable rate springs. The front and rear were higher than stock. - Dave

p.s. I believe the part number for Moog is CC507

Thanks for the info. I do not want a stiff ride. That is one of many things I like about these montes and the soft coil spring ride. I will probably just get a 1" spacer. I installed big block springs after engine swap. It put the front a little higher than back. I just want it even. 1" should do it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How high did it get?? I finally saved enough for new wheels Cragar D rings 15x8 front, 15x10 back grin they look awesome!! MY problem is they rub when I hit dips and driveways... It makes my soul hurt every time. So I took them off and am riding the stocks. I replaced the shocks (gabriel air shocks) and it raised it enough to fit, I just cant hit dips or bumps.. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP crycry

Thanks Larry, I thought about that when I saw that it was cutting into the tread. BTW this is the before and after. in the first picture the car is sitting on the wheel. The second is after I installed the shocks. Betty has sagged on the right since I got her. So the right rubs with just about anything on the road.

a>

a>