Roll cage install

Chevyss

Got my roll cage for the Monte. Are there any helpful things that I might need to know. Pulling all the interior and not sure how much of it will go back in. I'd like to have it so that I can drive it on the street too! Where can I get some nice covers for the roll bars? I want it to go fast, be safe and look good at the same time. Is this possible? Can't wait until this coming racing season. Thanks in advance.

I pulled the entire interior including headliner. Did you go with mild steel or Chrome Moly? Chrome Moly must be TIG welded, mild steel can be MIG welded. Mine is mild steel but we TIG welded most of mine because it is neater than MIG. I MIG welded it to the frame. The thing I hated most was cutting the floor pan and trunk to install the bars to the frame. You have to cut out enough to get the access to do a good 360 weld on the frame. After the install I think I spent more time repairing the floor and trunk than the bar install. After the install I used urethane caulk to seal around the floor pan to the bars.

I installed the main hoop at an angle that matches the rear window chrome and it is hard to see with the windows up. My rear bars have a 30 degree bend (NHRA legal) and go through the package tray. My door bars interfered with the arm rests. I removed the arm rests but left the bases and covered them with black vinyl. and used different door handles.

I am sure that you know most of the stuff already, but if you need any Ideas PM Me. Good luck!

Thanks Mike;

This will be my first install of a roll cage in any car. The guys who do all of my exhaust work will be doing most of the work. They build roll cages for circle track cars so things should be ok. I hope I can get the interior back in it to look nice.

I ordered mild steel and the drivers door bar swings out of the way. They shipped all the pieces except for the plates that the bar mounts to. We'll just have to see how it goes. Got until April to get it done.

They shipped all the pieces except for the plates that the bar mounts to.

A full frame car doesn't use plates, the bars get welded right to the frame like Mike mentioned... wink

P.S. you could use plates but the roll bar would technically be just a "show" bar and would not be track legal.

Dave, where did you mount your belts? That kit looks just like what they sent me. Hope I can get some padded covers for my bars when were done. Makes it look much nicer. Someone said that you can't get insurance when you put a cage in your car. Is this true? My insurance agent said that she never heard of it.

Thanks

Royce as you can see in one of the pics the shoulder belts are attached at the back bar with a welded tab and 3" belt to bolt ends. You can also use the wrap around method or take them to the floor. The croucth belt needs to be attached under the front seat to the floor about where you butt is and I used the factory attach points for the lap belts....

My agent knows I race the car and has never said anything....of course I've been with him for 40 years too....

• 2 weeks later...

hello my names jacob I just wanted to let you know about the carpet carpet cutters are used for cuting the carpet and you just cut where the roll bar is right.so tou can have carpet in your car and a roll bar by the way roll bar padding is at summit racing and its only a few dollars hope I helped.

You can use plates if you want and the cage is still legal not sure where you got that from.I have a 10pt cage in mine and the front bars are welded to plates on the front floor board.

January_27_2001_9a.jpg

The main hoop is also welded to plates but from there back the floor was gone and we welded the bars the the frame area

The guy I've contracted to do the install has said that at all points the bars will be welded to the frame. Guess this will make everyone at the track happy. Thanks Paul for the picture.

the main reason you want them welded to the frame is for stiffening. Welding them to a plate attached to the floor will not do anything to tie the frame together....by doing this it adds a lot of strength to the frame preventing twist from hard launches and taking stress off the frame weld points which can be an issue with A body frames.....

Yes your point is correct but If you weld the plates to the floor then the cage to it your getting the same results.Yes the frame is better but your not giving much up if you dont.The body is mounted to the frame so unless your body is rotted out it will do the same thing.We are talking 10-12 secs cars here not something running the sub 9's and quicker.Our cars are big and solid there isnt much flex in them just my opinion

Yes your point is correct but If you weld the plates to the floor then the cage to it your getting the same results.Yes the frame is better but your not giving much up if you dont.The body is mounted to the frame so unless your body is rotted out it will do the same thing.We are talking 10-12 secs cars here not something running the sub 9's and quicker.Our cars are big and solid there isnt much flex in them just my opinion

Paul I have to disagree, I think you might be surprised at the amount of stress that is placed on a stock frame by a 5-600 ft lb motor trying to cut 140/130 60' times. If you are seriously racing the car and you add in things like solid motor mounts stall converters that hit the tires hard and then sticky tires you are transmitting a lot of energy though the frame. The floor is thin sheetmetal sitting on top of rubber cushions. Even in a 10 sec car there is considerable frame flex with good suspension mods, it's not the same as tying everything together with the cage and frame. If you have a cage/rollbar why not put it to better use and make it structural? Besides, attaching the rollbar/cage to the floor is not legal for an OEM frame car. I've seen these frames fail at the welds so even with this you still need to inspect them regularly if the car is being used as a competition car. I am speaking of race cars though with stock frames, not cars that have altered frames or might see the track a couple of times a year. Once you've done this the difference is obvious, if you put a floor jack under the front side of the car is will no long just pick up that corner, it will pick up the whole side of the car.... wink