fiberglass front bumper

• 3 months later...

Left off two of the factory brackets and then cut the remaining two brackets to line up the mounting holes and then re-weld them to mount to the factory slots in the frame. Next they were "swiss-cheesed" to end up with brackets that weigh 13 ounces each, yet have the stiffness that GM design provides.

I had to hog out the holes for the directionals and drill and file to a square the holes for the bumper bolts. A lot of work

Cost

The cost of this whole thing was quite a bit from the cost of the bumper itself to the preparation of the raw bumper to fit my turn lights, body work to smooth out ridges, pinholes in the fiberglass, sanding sanding and more sanding, shipping and then fitting it. For lack of time and I despise body work, I paid to have most of the work done. The only thing I did was cut and fit the turn signal lamps and drill and file fit the square holes for the mounting bolts. I did a lot of initial sanding, but left the final fine sanding to experienced body people.

Total cost about $875...I did it over a few years. If you do all the body work, final sanding and fitting and installing you can get by with about $500 including buying the bumper.

BUT it took 28 lbs off the front end. smile

I am installing an anti-roll bar to get the car launching straighter.

I will likely be running in the 10.40's tomorrow night and expect 10.30's by the weekend with some little fine tunes to do on my new AFR Heads.

I have to say, that is one of the best fiberglass bumpers I have erer seen. I love the crome to keep the orig look. Fantastic job. Oh yeah, 10.40s is mighty impressive as well.

Big J,

Thanks ! Are you coming out to Lebanon Valley this weekend ??

Hemmings Muscle Car Muscelpalooza is on Saturday..400+ show cars and 300+ racing..Incredible good time. I will be showing my GN and racing my Monte.

Do you ever make it up to LVD.

Tom

Where exactly is that? Also what is LVD? I moved out here about a year ago so I am still trying to learn where all the stuff is out here. Big J.

mc71454... Is that the same cowl hood in the picture as the one in your signature?

The cowl seems to extend further to the nose in the picture with the bumper.

Bill that looks like the 4" glasstech cowl hood that I have, thay fit good and are very straight, well at least mine and another guy I know was. cool

fgmcc

big j.

lvd is short for lebanon valley dragway. i'm heading up there this saturday. won't be bringing the monte though frown . just trying to catch tom and see his car in action. if you're available i have room in the car for 1 more.

let me know.

thanh.

Hey Guys,

New Hood last year after that pic was taken I had a mishap and the 2" cowl took to the wind and is mostly spider shattered. I wanted to get another 2" Cowl, but Glasstek doesn't make one and I wasn't going to get one from the vendor I got the 2" from. So hence I have the 4", I will get a 2" as soon as a good quality bolt-on hinged 2" is available.