467 in monte runnin

ScottNM

So I finally got my 467 all hooked up and running. It was built by a very reputable builder and runs smooth and has quick throttle response. I know it is built well. I think I am going to be in the 15 mpg if I can keep my foot out of it. It has a 2.73 rear. I live at 6k altitude in NM. However, I thought 500hp/sea level rating would be enough to compensate for altitude. I must say that I think I should have gone for 600hp though. I am less than impressed with power. The BB torque I hoped for is just not there, at least what I expected. I am guessing 330hp at the wheels at best. I realize the gear is high but that is why I went with a 467. Anybody else have a BB at high altitude?

I hope one day to put maybe 3.55 gears and a gear vendor. Have to wait and save for that set up. The weight of these cars make them very streetable with apparently 600 plus hp. I suppose the gears will get me where I want. I live in nm with long open roads and speed limits average 65-75. I wont change gears without a gear vendor. There just very expensive. I am overdue for pics. I will take some soon.

Scott,

I live at about 4k altitude and have a factory 454, a 502 and a 572. All with 342 or 373 gears. All run fine and are torque monsters. I, like you live in a area of all hiway driving to get anywhere and the gears make it tough. Have to rev to crap out of the motors just to get some decent hiway speeds. IMO you are on the right track with waiting to change gears until you have a gear vendor.

Your 2.73 gears are really killing you! If you had built the engine to a 600 hp level it would have been worse. When you raise the horsepower level the torque curve moves up in the RPM range.

When you are ready to do your swap to a gear vendors I would suggest a 4.10 gear. In overdrive that would convert to a 3.08 and keep the engine at a little better cruising RPM on the highway. Don't forget your torque converter stall when considering all this.

It is a tall order to expect an engine in a 4k car with 2.73 gears to act like it has race gears. My builder thinks even with those gears it should hit the high 13s qtr mile. I know i have sacrifice probably 15 hp with the sanderson mid length headers. I currently have the ATI 10" streetmaster Torque converter. It is very street friendly and stalls in the 25-2700rpm ballpark. I have not yet put my 12 bolt posi unit in yet. It is very torquey in first gear. It just loads up in second and third without the "seat of pants feel" I expected. I suppose until I go to the track I wont know if is at least in the low 14s. I believe the track is closed for winter.

I can tell you what my experience has been with 2.73's. A couple of years ago I ran a 14.50 at I think 97 mph with this combination: 454 3310 converted to an 830 with a proform throttle body, 049 heads with flat top pistons ( maybe 8 to 1 ), Isky mega 286 cam, DUI HEI distributer, B&M 2000 torque converter, turbo 350 trans with shift kit, afformentioned 2.73 gears with posi and 275\60 15 radial t/a's. The combination needs more compression and more torque converter and of course more gear. I just treated it like a powerglide going to the first two gears in the run. I would try the gears out just for fun you will definatly be able to beat my time. David

I took it out to ride into albuquerque today ( about 20 miles). The speed limit is 75mph most of the way. Guess i cannot have my cake and eat it too. I could not imagine going any lower gear for 75 mph cruises. It would get old quick for me hearing all that revving. So between a 3.55 posi carrier and gear change plus gear vender I believe Im around 3500. Guess I will be ok for now.

467 9.1 compression, 230@.050 hyd cam, Edelbrock RPM manifold, 770 holley street avenger. It max uncorrected at 520hp at 5600rpm and I believe maxed on torque uncorrected at approx 3800ish with 560 torque. I have the dyno sheet at home. It is alot more flatter then most engines. It has decent power down low also according to dyno. Just way short of how I thought it would respond in the car. It has nice power, again just not what I was expecting. Corrected at this altitude puts that data in the area of 380-390hp at 6k altitude and then pushing that through a th400 and the rest of drive train along with mid length headers puts at 330hp to wheels approx and that seems right. I love NM but wow does it tax hp. I am thinking 400hp to wheels is where I want to be.

That sounds similar to my old 454 with the compression and cam (230 and 540 lift), but I think I was more like 425 hp than 520 - that dyno seems a little on the high side. My best et was 12.9 at 106 at sea level. Is that number with a roller cam and a good set of heads?

Are you sure you don't have the regular oval ports, as the peanut ports were the tiny ports on the truck heads, like the pic on this post: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/204866/

I got the 12.9(9999999999999) with a 3.31 gear and mild 2400 converter, and sticky tires. According to my favorite calculator site, I would lose a full second at 6000 ft! Yikes......

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

http://www.aera.org/ep/downloads/ep11/EP07-2010_20-28.pdf

This article is about the builder and engines produced of whichh I have one. I have alot of respect for this builder and after driving up to Colorado Springs and being there during dyno and meeting Mark, I am convinced this is a quality unit. Again, it comes back to the altitude handicap. I would more than be where I want at sea level.

Good stuff there. With either the peanut ports or oval, it should have some solid mid range power. Some guys here have seen big gains going from a vacuum secondary to a double pumper. I know I gained 3 tenths going from a 780 vacuum to 800 dp on my old 454. The big blocks respond well to mechanical secondaries.

http://www.aera.org/ep/downloads/ep11/EP07-2010_20-28.pdf

This article is about the builder and engines produced of whichh I have one. I have alot of respect for this builder and after driving up to Colorado Springs and being there during dyno and meeting Mark, I am convinced this is a quality unit. Again, it comes back to the altitude handicap. I would more than be where I want at sea level.

I know Mark and have worked with him on some things. If you want a guy that can make factory iron heads work he's the one. I know several guys with one of his motor's and they all perform well. He also is very knowledgeable with A body suspension and is now starting to design his own cams.....

I gps'd my elevation at my house. It is 6400 above sea level. I-40 is 6200 in front of my house. I do get down to 5400 in albuquerque. I have talked to a few racers in albuquerque and they claim it is typically a 24% approx correction factor give or take dependant of barometric pressure, temp and other stuff. So I am probably 27% where I live. That fits perfectly with the correction factor dynoed by my builder. I guess "it is what it is". I will have to find the closest track under 2k next spring and take a road trip.

I am an avid lurker on the chevelle site and there was lots of people thinking this guy was just another internet engine builder with inflated numbers. Mark is actually quite active on that site now and he backed up his performance everytime. I think it would be worth a call to him and get his input. I think you choose a very good builder and obviously did your home work up front. That's a nice setup you have. I also agree gears will definitely wake that engine up.

He is always a phone call away and ready to help. I have talked to him and once I get a few tweaks finalized he wants pics sent to him and will walk me and a friend/mech through whatever it takes. 6k altitude and 2.73 is a load for any engine it would seem. Watch me run a high 13 second qtr mile probably. Just have to wait.