New Bests Today

mc71454

Sorry to hijack the thread, but best with my monte is 12.5 @ 109.

What should be next on the list to add some more power besides supercharging and nitrous since I was to keep all motor?

My combo list is 454 gen.6 full roller BB., 9.5/1 compression, speed pro. rings, balanced and blue printed, 502 GM aluminum heads, demon 750 double pumper, msd 6AL, msd wires, msd distributor, 120 gph mechanical fuel pump, still has the stock 510 - 540 lift cam the motor was made with, turbo 400 w/ 2000 stall, ford 9" rear w/ 350 gears and a detroit locker, and when I ran my run it was on my S-rated street tires. Slicks is a given but what else would really help? Cam time?

That cam was designed for street use and is not optimal for drag racing. Not even a decent street strip deal. The carb is a little small for a 454 to make decent HP. What you have is a low RPM torque engine. There are not alot of good off the shelf cams for the gen 6 yet. I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with something.The 2000 converter isn't helping either, A 22/2400 would be much better!

Don

Ihad a 2400 stall but with the weight of the car it was acting like a 2800-2900 and was smoking my cluches even with my huge coolerand build in cooler in my aluminum ratiator..carb.is small I know.

Sounds like you need a better brand of converter. Any way I found some lobes from comp but it would be a cust grind. Specs as follows, 284/290 adv, 224/230 at .050, .566/.578 lift at the valve. This will be a hyd roller so you cna reuse your lifters. The part# is 01-000-8 the grind # is 3110/3112-HR-10 install with Intake centerline at 106 deg. This with a 800/850 vac sec carb should wake it up once tuned in. A set of roller rockers would help also, full roller not the junk roller tip deals!

Don

oo, I didnt play when I went full roller...I've got Pro magnium full rollers(the rebuildable type smile

What kinda idle would I exspect with that grind? I dont want too go too choppy wink want to keep the sleeper look and sound going,lol. You should hear my car go down the track with the full exhast on, it spins 2nd and chirps 3rd at 90mph and you usally cant hear my car over the other guys car.

I have to take my son to football camp in a few minutes but will check out your combo tonight and see what you can do for the cheap. I have a some tricks and tuning tips to share.

Tom

It would work with a stock converter if tuned properly, Maybe a barely noticable idle, but much more aggressive than the GM stick. more power and better response, better acceration.

Don

Sorry to hijack the thread, but best with my monte is 12.5 @ 109.

What should be next on the list to add some more power besides supercharging and nitrous since I was to keep all motor?

My combo list is 454 gen.6 full roller BB., 9.5/1 compression, speed pro. rings, balanced and blue printed, 502 GM aluminum heads, demon 750 double pumper, msd 6AL, msd wires, msd distributor, 120 gph mechanical fuel pump, still has the stock 510 - 540 lift cam the motor was made with, turbo 400 w/ 2000 stall, ford 9" rear w/ 350 gears and a detroit locker, and when I ran my run it was on my S-rated street tires. Slicks is a given but what else would really help? Cam time?

Ok, so your ET and mph do not match right on, I will say you are leaving 0.3 in ET on the table and .5 to 1 mph, your mph normally aspirated indicates a 12.20 to low 12.30 ET.

Adding something now to add power will not achieve anything as you have not optimized your current setup with the parts you have. You have answered your own question with the slicks or DOT slicks. Once you have those you will be able to tune your 60 ft.

What you need to do is Tune your 60 FT. and the 60 ft Only. When you tune your 60 ft the ET will take care of itself.

Hopefully this can be a quote of the week..

New Ignition System - $600

Roller Cam Setup - $1200

9" Rear - $2300

..........Tuning your 60 foot - PRICELESS

All joking aside - you have an excellent combination there...

....But you will need the tires to do any 60 foot tuning which will include the accelerator pump and timing adjustments and the shock nut trick.

If you like to plan ahead...here it is.

A 3600 9" converter will be the next ticket to test your traction..and pick you up 0.15 to 0.2 in ET.

Next, After that I am pretty sure your suspension will be the limiting factor..

This info is tried and true and NOT based on any magazines or hearsay and Will Work without throwing parts at the car.

CAM Timing - I did extensive testing last year with Cam Timing from 5* retarded to straight up to 7* advanced. I have one of those Cloyes Hex-adjusts so it was pretty easy to change. The result was no noticeable difference in ET, only a possible mph increase from 5 advanced to 5 retarded BUT my data did convince me enough to report it as fact. Bottom Line - set it up as per the manufacturers recommendation around 3 to 5 advanced and leave it at that.

Hope this is helpful..