new here

hey everyone. im new here and also new to chevy's.

i've been a mustang owner for some time now and just recently traded my big block stang for a 1971 Monte w/ a 402 and a 4 spd.

it's all stock minus the edelbrock performer intake and the edelbrock 750 carb.....

looking for lots of power with decent gas milage...thinking edelbrock combo?

oval port or rectangular port? which is better?

thanks, look foward to many years of bliss with my new chevy!

Welcome to the site. This is a good place.

Lots of horsepower with decent gas mileage?

Pick ONE. LOL. The horsepower is the easier one to get if you are working with a big-block. One thing you have in your favor is your engine size. A 402 with oval-port heads will breathe better than a 454 with oval-port heads. I think the rectangular-port heads would absolutely kill your bottom & midrange power (and your mileage), so stay away from them.

Good luck with your new toy!

Welcome to the board 402!! You came to the right place smile.gif

------------------

Aaron

1970 Misty Turquoise Monte Carlo

My Monte Carlo Web Site

Monte131a.jpglogo_iamca.gif

If your wife ever says "Come and move this transmission so I can take a bath," You might be a Gearhead.

thanks, also, how high can you spin a stock 402? i usually shift it at 4500 when i get on it but im just curious on the redline of these motors?

I would guess 5500 to be redline, but power is well into the decline by then. Peak torque is probably around 3200, and peak HP at about 4000.

When my BB was stock, it would not go past 6,000 RPM. It is now a built, blueprinted with a hyd roller cam and I have to watch to tack or it will blast past 6,000 RPM and the shift point to keep it in the power band is 5,500 RPM.

By the way, congradulations on upgrading to a Monty. LOL!

[This message has been edited by George Lines (edited 05-06-2003).]

Monte402,

Welcome! I will tell you now, you will not find a better place for first generation MC info!! It is the best.

SmokemUp70

welcome, my 350 is stil in pieces so i'm afraid i cant help you...thsi is the place though. you might try posting in engines as well.

matt

------------------

Ther are so many things that can be done to a BB chevy that it is hard to know where to begin. My BB started out as a 396. It is now totally blueprinted with World products dart II open chamber heads, Lunatti hyd roller cam, roller rockers, computer ignition, 780 cfm Eddlebrok carb and with 3:50 gears. I get

14.5 mpg. I also used JEG'S to buy most of my parts. You can't find parts any cheaper elsewhere.