1970 SS Found, need an opinion

daleone3

Chevy guy, new to posting but have a question for group and would like to get some opinions. found a matching numbers monte ss, red ext, black interior 454, matching numbers, air ride in tact, no tach, buckets, console. west coast car until 2000 then brought east, driven summers only, one repaint, no panels have been altered, 110k miles, runs strong, shift, etc....body is very strong, rally wheels, very respectable interior. guy was looking for 14k, down to 12.500, thinking the car can be had for 11k, he said make me an offer....seems like it is low for this car but wanted to collect an opinion if possible.

thanks,

scott

You'd pay alot more to restore one and spend 100s of hours doing it. Sounds like a good deal. Pics would be helpful. Also, there are some members here with great cars for sale that are well worth the money.

Welcome to the site!

Dan

Hey Scott, That is definitely low but if it is legit, it is a steal IMO. Make sure it is numbers matching though unless that isn't a big deal for you. An SS should have factory load leveling rear suspension, rear shock guard plates, a 454 LS5 with engine suffix CPD (last three digits of the engine code located at the front of the passenger side head) At least that's what the 71 SS has anyway. Maybe someone with more 70 SS experince can chime in here and help you more than I can?

As far as cosmetics are concerned, the SS has SS454 logos at the bottom of the front fenders behind the front wheels as well as others.

Also, check the Cowl Tag and also ask if there's a build sheet with the car.

You have to upload them on a hosting site and then link to them or you can email them to me and I can post them for you.

email is in my profile.

Dan

Dan

Thanks for posting those, so based on the car and being complete, you think it is worth a go? what are these typically going for in solid #2 condition? They seem to be all over the map but I believe they will be the car to buy and coming up in value in the next few years, all the other big blocks are just too much money with no way of entry under $25k.

thanks,

Scott.

How far is the car from you? can you go look at it yourself or have someone that you trust to look at it. theres a 71 350 4 speed in our area that the guy started out at 12,500 and is down to 9500 last I saw. Low ball it see if he bites the most he can say is no. Good luck.

The car is about an hour away, small dealer has it, he was looking for more money for it but think with the holiday coming he is in the "make me an offer" stage. Claims to have air system in tact, clean underside and the real deal.....I will take a look at it no later than tuesday and see what it is all about. I am hoping it is as described but you never know. all too many times people "forget" to mention the little things wrong with a car to get you to look at it. I have a 71 Camaro SS as well, documented 4spd car that I will have to find a home for but happy to swap them out.....no replacement for displacement....right...

Make sure it has a 12 bolt rear. It should have the bigger anti-sway bar in the front and also bar in the back that the non-SS didn't come with. Keep in mind that the automatic level ride system was a part of the SS pkg and optional for all of the other Montes in 70. See if the level ride control valve is mounted on the frame above the passenger side, upper, rear control arm and the linkage to the control arm is still there. That linkage can be very hard to find. Check for the boxed rear lower control arms and shock protector plates. Good luck with it!

Dan

Scott, assuming you have the ability to buy it now, I think you should be prepared to jump on this deal, especially at $12.5K or below.

You've already gotten enough advice on what to look for to be sure it is a true SS car. If it is, and the general condition of the body, interior and drive train are all good, you have found yourself one heck of a deal. And, if it is also matching numbers, it will be even a sweeter deal. I think you will know for sure after looking it over for a few minutes.

I paid a lot more for my '70 SS last summer. It was lower mileage but was missing the level ride compressor (everything else was in place). I bought it from only pictures and talking to the owner over the phone. I don't recommend that, of course, because there will always be some surprises, but I am very pleased with my purchase. I got to drive the car quite a bit this summer (it's in storage now) and it was a ball. Even a stock 454 is pretty thirsty, but the torque is worth it.

A first gen MC SS is a smooth, powerful and attractive car, period. Good luck with your purchase - you will love it!

If that was available and for sale when I was looking late last summer and into fall I'd have likely tried to buy it myself. But logistics worked against me for anything too far. Still for the price IF it is as noted, and condition it'd be well worth the $ and the hassle for me to get it here.

Now I love mine and wouldn't trade it, but if I'd found this before I did mine, it would be a very hard decision not to peruse it. FWIW.

Good Luck hope it works out for you nice to see another SS in the crowd and a 70 even better wink

Scott

I have not looked at it yet, holidays behind us now and going to try to get up there shortly. To be honest, I really wanted to wait him out a bit until the holiday passed and hope the leverage of a buyer may help sweeten the deal. I thank you all for your input on the car, I have watched these cars for many years and hope to be able to get into one soon, this may be the one.

Will update you once I know more. To the poster from Framingham, do you know the seller/dealer well or have any input into what types of cars he is selling? I suspect he bought it thinking there was alot of money in the car but not that many people have 10-12k to put into a third/fourth vehicle....thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...