DOES YOUR WINDSHEILD WASHER WORK OR NOT

DRDIRT11

ive been workin on my wiper system as it was all pretty well worn out. the washers havnt worked since i started driving car in 87. It was kind of hard to figure out how it works when it didnt but i figured it out. after putting newer components on and taking the slop out of them there working pretty good. on the other hand the washers work half witted. sometimes not wanting to shut off and not not coming on unless i trip them manually. just wondered how many of your cars actually have working windsheild washers? i got the fellow at wiper works sending me some parts that are not wore out. maybe i should just send him the unit and let him overhaul it?

I can't remember when my wipers stopped working. I know I used them the first year in 1983 when I got the car but after that I always had a second car (or more grin ) that I would drive in bad weather so the Monte's wipers never got used and then one day I noticed they just didn't work...but to be honest I never tried the washer pump since. I'm wondering now if that part of the system still works.

My wipers only work intermittently. They will turn on no problem but will not shut off after a couple minutes of working. Sometimes they will stop in the middle and I have to pull them by hand to get them working. It has been like that since I got the car.

Washer system does not work at all. I hear the pump but nothing comes out. Reservoir is indeed full.

Just one of those things I've been meaning to get to.

well from what im hearing maybe the best way would be to take out the gear that runs washer and it will cure my problems. i could put it in parked position but if i ever accidentlly hit the button id have problems getting washer to shut off. also the wiper motor has to turn the washer [you said a naughty!]. and if i take that gear out it wont do so.

I think the washers are pretty pathetic even when they work like new. The design uses a cam in the wiper motor to actuate a rubber diaphragm that has to suck fluid a long ways from the washer reservoir...uphill even.

Until the pump gets primed and starts squirting, the wipers are going back & forth on a dry windscreen. They might be ok to get crud off the window while you're driving in the rain, but not good enough to clean a dry window.

I think everyone now uses a remote electric pump mounted in the bottom of the fluid reservoir. Maybe a hike through a junkyard will yield something that you can hook to a momentary switch to get instant water spray....but the stock system isn't it.

Mine has the reverse or other problem. They replaced the motor, has a new bottle and seems all new. However when I turn ON the wipers it starts squirting fluid and will not stop till I turn off the wiper. I was thinking it's the wiper switch but just wonder if anyone else has had the same issue? All NEW components under the hood from what I see so someone spent some $ on it but dang washer keeps a going!!! confused

Might take the switch out and try cleaning the contacts. Oh and I remember the first time I tried the wipers they worked. Then I pushed in the switch to activate the fluid and it's never stopped. No matter if the battery is disconnected even....

Just plain WIERD nutzcrazyshocked

There is a park position on the back of the wheel. mine was doing that also but i fixed it for awhile. the shaft thatis attached to plunger on pump needs to come back futher so it can go to parked position. if u take the 3 screws out and take pump [you said a naughty!]. off on the back side there is a shaft with a 3/8 inch knob that rides the 4 sided cam piece. that 3/8 knob gets a flat spot wore on it, all u have to do is take vise grips and turn the knob 180' so it rides on the unworn portion. i got mine wher everything works but its not consistant. i had it workin good then after 3 times they stuck and i gotta pop hood and pull black cover off and try and get it where its suppose to be. the guy at wiper works is sending me new parts and illsee if it helps. if it doesnt i am going to disconect them.

My wipers work fine, they just need to be "push started" when they are unused for an extended period. The little ball the wiper driveshaft rides on has to make good electrical contact to complete the circuit, if that makes sense. The washers work great, when they work. If I let it sit unused I have to prime the pump first, which I have to say is a complete pain in the neck. All that being said, my car rarely, if ever, sees rain (She is so spoiled!) so I have to fiddle with the wipers when I do need them.

Mine worked fine when I bought the car. Then about 2 months ago I could not turn off the washers. Then after another week or so I could not even turn off the wipers. I disconnected the switch on the dash totally and the wipers kept working.

So about 2 weeks ago, I replaced the entire pump and motor. So far all is well but not sure I want to turn them on to find out if they still work. LOL

My wipers would not shut off unless I pulled the fuse, had to push fuse back in to turn on. Try that while driving. Finally replaced motor and all is good now. As for washer fluid, crack in reservoir keeps draining fluid in between uses.

There are alot of things u need to know. Like your washer has powioier all the time. Your switch gives it ground. I have done alot of research and got my wiper motor working and my washer working partially with used parts. I just received parts today from wiper works. I will have pic tomarro. Parts look to be nos.

Do any of you guys want to get you wiper/washer assembly rebuilt. If we send him 3 assemblys there is a pretyy good discount. pricing is kind of complicated depending on what you want done. theres two different warrantys and depending on if you need the white pump piece. if i could find two other people i would be interestd in getting mine done. i have one on my car that is working but he makes them look brand new, work barand new and a silver sticker with correct info.

• 2 weeks later...