Rear Shock Mounting HELP ??

I aggree with Mike I think your going to have problems with that set up. Not sure why you want it very stiff and very high but if you do than persue where your going. But that is going to ride real hard I think. Maybe big block and elcamino springs may be a better choice and maybe some poly bushings would stiffen it up a bit. But one question how did you get them springs in there they had to be a bit#* to get in.

Hey guys,

Springs have actually been in the car for about 20 years when I had done the suspension. Never had a problem with the ride or the handling. I did those because thats how I like the stance of the car. I used to actally have real bad wheel hop until I bought and installed the No Hop bars. Ever since then it launched great.. When I did put the suspension back together using the same springs the fronts were a big PITA. But I also did not have the motor in when I reinstalled them. I bought like 20 bags of concrete mix for weight to get them back in. That was also a PITA because I returned the concrete when I was done.. If your interested I added some pictures to my car domain page where I am at with the car now. Bottom of page 3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3329691/1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo/page-3

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have Bilstiens on thier car. If so what is the part number and if you could measure the top of the shock to the mount. Actally if anyone could tell me what brand and part number for the shock they have would be appreciated. Also is your bottom mount under the Dif like in the picture of mine?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So after a few weeks of PST seeing/checking if Bilstien made a shock that will fit they are saying no? Now I am going to have to try and find a shock that is 24 inches from top mount to the bottom mount pin, or do I use "Shock Extenders"? Or there is a hole above the current pin you can see it in the picture above, do I open that up and use that top hole for the mount ?

Ok so I am getting 3 inch Shock Extensions. Without the Shock extension from the top/Frame mount to the Pin/Shaft on the Differential it is 23 1/4 inches. So should I just get the longest shock I could Find? Below is what I have found. And the Extensions I ordered are 3 inches. Will that be enough?

Competition Engineering 2720 Rear Drag Shock Extended Length: 22.87''

Monroe : For Towing & Hauling Rear Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shocks 58574

Extended Length 21.250"

Summit Racing® Drag Racing Shocks # SUM-G7702 Extended Length (in) 23.000 in.

if i remember correctly there was a shock made for a toranado.maybe 78?

that had more travel in each direction that i used way back when i used to really jack them up.lol

i know it was a toro.not sure on the year.

bob

I would avoit the monroe sensi-trac as they have to be at the correct ride height to work properly even an inch off will make a difference. We had a lot of problems with them when the ride height was off but that also enabled us to sell more springs but still didnt make customers happy. I was never impressed with them.

So should I get the Summit Racing® Drag Racing Shocks # SUM-G7702 23.000 in. What is the diffrence between those and regular shocks? The other thing I never though about is I have lakewood N0-Hop bars installed on my Car (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-21609/). Maybe that is wat is changing the shock mounting? I ordered the 3 inch Shock extension.

Anyone use these? will these be ok? Drag Shocks : Summit Racing® Drag Racing Shocks # SUM-G7702 Extended Length (in) 23.000 in.

Never used them, if they will fit for your application set them at 50-50.

Mine sets considerably lower than yours and I don't have the no hop bars never used them on anything, but I do not think they would effect ride height.

Alan There is a Monroe Sensa Trac shock that I think will work for you. The part# is 58523 ST. The application is for an S-10 pickup. I had problems with my shocks when I put bigger springs on my Monte. I have not put the shocks on my Monte yet but they are much longer that what's on there now. I have shock extenders on the car now but I will not need them with the Monroe Sensa Tracs. I got the shocks when I worked at Advance Auto Parts. Just go in there and they should let you measure them.

Think the Monroes are still a bit short. Looks like I have to go with the Summit Drag Racing Shocks # SUM-G7702 Extended Length (in) 23.000 in. Thats 1/4 inch shy of the Mounting stud. Then with the 3 inch spacer I will have at least some movment the other way. Only about 2 3/4 of an inch but that better than nothing.