Tires & Rims

NazztyMonte

Hi Guys,

Whats a good size tire and rim combo for a 72 Monte. I want to go as big and wide in back as possible without shaving the lip and without rubbing. Can I use a 295/50/15 on a 15x8 with 5 " of back spacing ?

You are on the right track with the 5" of b.s.

It is the best possible amount to center the wheel in a monte.

The 295-50-15 is a very wide tire having 12.2" to 12.8" of sidewall depending on the manufacturer... the fact you are choosing a 8" rim (smallest rim size suggested for that tire) you can take off maybe .4" of that amount.

The tire is just under 27" tall depending on manafacturer again, which will help from rubbing, but I think it will still hit the lip if you do not trim it... frown

Is your car sitting high in the rear?

Regardless entering an angled drive will eventually cut your tire on the sidewall in my opinion.

I have a 325-50-15 tire on mine with a trimmed wheel lip...you could not physically fit a bigger tire on a 70-72 monte than this...other than tubbing... wink

Bill

I agree the 275-60-15 is the perfect sized tire at 28" tall...they say "if you can't put a wider tire on your car go taller"...the footprint increases this way as well.

Although you now affected your speedometer if it was set up with a different diameter tire.

Gear ratio will also be affected.

I don't know if this is your daily driver or if you are into performance, but if you are into performance you might want to check out the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial...

mtt-3754r_w.jpg

so whats good for the front size ?

For "my" car I chose a set of 255-60-15 for the front...they are 27" tall and have a 8.2" of tread.

They look meaty and give the car some added cornering.

Here's the only picture I have that shows the sidewall and tread at the same time.

These are on 15 x 7" wheels with 4" of b.s.

img0103ff7.jpg

IM000629.jpg

I'm running 275/60/15 rear and 235/60/15 front. I think I would prefer 235/75/60 to lift the nose up a touch. Bigger is not always better. The 275/60/15 is a great all around street tire. Our cars are,by design,nose heavy. Too wide a tire in the rear and a little rain could cause you to loose control. Just my thoughts. Ken

Yes, I could but I also want to fill up the wheel well a little more. Kinda like Bills only not as wide. It's irritating for me to see someone put lots of time, money and effort into a car then ruin it by running tires that don't "fit". Ya, I know. Pet peeve. Ken

It's irritating for me to see someone put lots of time, money and effort into a car then ruin it by running tires that don't "fit". Ya, I know. Pet peeve. Ken

I'm the same way, but it doesn't irritate me, just looks out of place... wink

Even my racing set of wheels and tires had to be perfect "looking" to me.

Knowing a skinny 26" tall front tire would be the best for drag racing and after purchasing it, mounting it, then putting it on the car I returned it and went with a skinny 27" one because it looked better to me.

The front two wheels are on the left.

Bill cool

img0583smallqq9.jpg

I have a 4 wheel disc conversion (SSBC)

I want to go with P265-55r-17 on Cragar 17 x 8

anybody seen this combination on a Monte?

Anyone heard of a website that will allow you to see your choose of wheel and Tire combos on a 1970 Monte?

This is a little off the topic but here is a website where you can Mock Up a 70-72 Monte with any color you want and can then add a variety of wheels and tire combos to get a pretty cool profile look. It even allows you raise and lower the height of the car but it doesn't have an option for just raising the front of rear. Check it out. JJ

http://www.autowaretech7.net/nextwheels/newstal.htm

This is a little off the topic but here is a website where you can Mock Up a 70-72 Monte with any color you want and can then add a variety of wheels and tire combos to get a pretty cool profile look. It even allows you raise and lower the height of the car but it doesn't have an option for just raising the front of rear. Check it out. JJ

Very cool sight smile thanks !

terry

• 2 weeks later...

Wow you are my hero...Mike has been bugging me to find some software that would do this. The only scary thing is he might pick some hideous color. Orange has been the color of choice so far...

Picture1.png

but he mentioned something about green the other day, you know like Roadrunner Green nutz Maybe he'll change his mind once he see it.

Picture2.png

I can only pray he will....Jaylene

mad I can't open that site! mad

You are not the only one, I tried showing that to another person and they couldn't get in no matter what.

Jaylene,

How did you copy the picture?

It would erase itself when I did it... frown

Bill

I have an Imac and I did a print screen thingy. On Apple its apple, shift, 4 and then I can highlight just the area on the screen that I want to copy. On windows you could probably do a print screen and then crop it.

Jaylene

• 6 months later...