best weatherstripping manufacturer? how 'bout carpet and headliners?

Hi all,

I know of Soffseal, Metro, and Steele, does anyone have any input on one being better than the others and why? Does anyone know of other manufacturers that make quality product?

I crave the same information for carpeting and headliners. I've heard of ACC, PUI, and others.

For the above items, what would you buy for your Monte, and why?

Also, does anyone know what the different restoration parts houses stock as far as manufacturer? In SoCal we have OPGI, Muscle Factory, True Connections, and National Parts Depot within driving distance (good excuse for a family road trip - buying parts!). If known, what brands do these companies typically stock?

Once I have determined manufacturers, I'll locate a vendor. Thank you to all who reply.

Best regards,

Tom

OK, folks, you've got a site newbie and a site veteran, both asking for your input. Even if it's to say "I really wasn't impressd with these, but I don't know what's really good..." please tell us. If you say, "Replace the strips every year, cuz they all suck!", that is good info, too!

Help!

Best,

Tom

Im curious about this also. Cant believe noone has had input. There have been mixed reviews of PUI interiors on another thread. Actually they were mostly bad from what I remember. Im going to be getting all the rubber for mine from Muscle cars only Rob Peters has had a lot of nice things to say about them and I have gotten a few little things from them so far had good success. Im not sure who thier supplier is for these items though. Im sure if you ask any company they would tell you though. Unless they are trying to hide something.

Tony

I've used both Soffseal and Metro and prefer Metro. The Soffseal doesn't compress as well as the Metro making it harder to adjust the windows for a tight seal. I purchased my last Metro kit from Year One but had to specifically ask for it.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

OK one vote for Metro...

Tony, I will ask who Muscle Cars Only buys from. If you get any packaging with a name that may help too.

Anybody else have any input? Anyone have any manufacturers you recommend I use or I stay away from?

Thank you,

Tom

I re-replaced my soft seal seals with metro. I couldn't get the windows to seal tight with the soft seal. They really were not very soft.

For carpet, I went with the www.accmats.com and it fit really nicely. Headliner, door panels, and seat covers were done by PUI with marginal quality. Not sure if anyone else out there makes the Monte door panels other than PUI...

Call CPU Muscle Car Parts: 630-551-4490. 30 Stonehill Rd., Unit B, Oswego, IL. 60543. www.cpucarparts.com They can help by asking you what part of the car you are looking for rubber; door, trunk, window, hood, etc. as each manufacturer makes different softness; doors should be softer (ever notice a Softseal guy slaming his door?). The same can be said for having too soft for the trunk. It is not a "one fits all". George

I have used both soft seal (I mean hard seal ) and metro . Metro was far better I think they had 2 styles one I think was regular which was good but I think they had a presidental set that was a few more dollars and had a longer warentee and was a little softer . I will be putting a set of metro on in a month or so I will let you know how they fit . thanks Steve

I saw a question on CPU in the another FGMCC forum here and pasted a recap of our club meeting with the owner Brian Hawley, from our Feb. 04 newsletter. Below is the recap of his response to the weatherstrip question posed by a member:

• Rubber pieces / weatherstrips. There are several choices. Some, as we know, are hard, that is, when you put the trunk weatherstrip in it can be hard to close. For example, the original trunk weatherstrip was a three layer operation; a core, surrounded by a soft sponge and encased in a thin harder casing. That way when the lid closed it would compress nicely. Other strip sold is solid, yet softer rubber, but you know it takes 2 or 3 “wacks” of the trunk to get it closed. For a correct restoration, call Brian and he’ll get you the right stuff."

Sorry, I should have posted this before with my other response. Members of the Northern IL. Chevelle Club (we let FGMCC's in also because they are the same as the 70-72 Chevelle) have used CPU, Tamraz and Parts Place, since they are all within 15 miles of one another. Brian from CPU really gets into the minutia of the details and alot of fanatical "resto" guys go to him. George

• 2 months later...