welded block

Jeramy

would you run a block that has had a crack welded up. found a welded crack today on the drivers side about 1 inch below deck surface.weld runs from top rear motor mount hole to dipstick hole and is about 1 inch wide. some one had covered it with jbweld and then painted over it.not sure what i want to do with it at this point

any opinions will be welcomed

pics

IMG_20120204_131030.jpg

IMG_20120204_131016.jpg

IMG_20120204_130959.jpg

i don't think the guy i bought it from had any idea it was there.i am going to call him tomorrow and very nicely ask him if he would be willing to give me another block and if not ill take it to a machine shop i trust and go from there.just really sucks that the engine my dad and wife got me for Christmas turned out to be damaged guess i should have paid closer attention

im thinking if he doesn't want to do anything ill save up a little bit of money and pick up a used 454 to rebuild instead. seen several on craigslist lately for around 400 complete. didnt have much luck with the last one i built but maybe second time around will go better

sent him an email with the pics saying the following:

I'm not sure if you will remember me or not but my dad and I came and bought a 350 4 bolt service block from you back in the end of last year, before Christmas. I finally got around to getting it on the engine stand to start rebuilding it today and found the weld on it where some one had fixed a crack. I am very sure you did NOT know about it and am not accusing you of intentionally selling me a damaged engine. the weld was smoothed over with jb weld and then spray painted over, and i didn't notice it myself until i had pulled the heads and rolled the engine over on the stand. the reason I'm emailing you is to see if you would be willing to swap me out for a different block. I understand we bought it as is and you have no obligation to do so, and as such I won't hold it against you if you say no or if you don't have one.just never hurts to ask as they say.

hopefully he will get back to me

wow that was quick he emailed me back and said call him tomorrow to set up a time and he will swap me another 4 bolt for it. nice to see he is a stand up guy even when he didn't have to be.

talked to him today and he said hes got a 4 bolt block 30 over or a couple of 2 bolt std bores i can take my pick from.all of them 010 blocks.told me i can keep this engine to use internals out of cause all he would do with it is throw it in the scrap pile.we're going to get together next weekend and look them over real good.