Fiberglass Body Components

Xxyyzz

Starving college student here and I've been thinking. If I do fiberglass front fenders, trunklid, and hood (possibly bumpers) i could save $ on paint and have a cool looking car.

Is it necessary to paint fiberglass? (i was thinking glasstek... http://www.glasstek.com/

Also can the rest of the car just be "matched" to the fiberglass black (ie: roof, doors, etc...)

I understand the car wouldnt be original anymore, but I would sell the rust free parts back to FGMCC to keep other cars going :-)

-Mark

yay/nay? opinions/suggestions?

Most of the fiberglass pieces are not direct bolt on affairs. They are mostly designed for racing applications. Also, virtually all of the fiberlass components require topcoating, they are not designed to be "weatherproof" as they come out of the box. You would probably be better off with a quick Maaco $250-$500 paint job. They will do satin black if that is the look you are after.

my first choice would be some kind of candy paint... but that can be very pricey. Ive seen a few satin/flat black cars here on the forum and thought this way may be cheaper

Yes, this is sprayed by myself.

It is a simple single stage enamel paint, I used the same companies primer before topcoating with the Blitz Black. Just google 'Blitz Black' to see how this paint is used by hotrodders...

The original Blitz Black is made by John Deer, but it actually the Valspar Low Gloss Black paint. I bought the paint at 'Blain's Farm & Fleet' by gallon...

257334-tractor_implement_paint_1_gallon.

Here are a few more Bliz Black Rides:

cuda.jpg

103317d1277824873-custom-paint-job-jdbb-

DSCN0614.jpg

DSC01063.JPG