gauges

jacob

I have brand new gages(clock and speedometer)to put in but Im having trouble trying to get the old ones out. Is there any tips or instructionds on removing it?

The good news is the dash is fairly easy to take apart. Once you get to the point where you have removed the main bolts that hold it in you can move the dash away from the firewall far enough to access the rear of the instrument cluster and remove the individual dials. If you perform a search, one of the guys has a good link to the removal steps if you want to take the whole thing out. I've done it twice, like I said, it's not that bad.

Good luck

Do NOT consume beers until after the dash is out..it dont work the other way and gets lots of broken peices....lol.

Darren.

Patience is the MAIN thing to remember. FEEL your way through it, gentle not forcefull, take your time and don't get excited. Hard to do, but you can do it. Just be slooow when it comes to fragile things like guages,Dash, etc.

okay well I wont be drinking any beer any time soon So that wont be a problem If theres any step by step instructions I could use them also When i ake the dash out I would like to replace the wood grane insert as well any way to get that out?

okay well I wont be drinking any beer any time soon So that wont be a problem If theres any step by step instructions I could use them also When i ake the dash out I would like to replace the wood grane insert as well any way to get that out?

http://fgmcc.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=148167#Post148167

Hi Jacob, I think there was a thread maybe in the archives from Ground Up that has a step by step on how to take the dash gauges out of our Montes.I have it in paper form from the website.It is a "must have" if trying to dismantle the dash on our cars.Maybe someone else will chime in on this.No.1 thing about this is to take your time and pictures as you go .

I got it loose took out the bolts on the sides removed both bolts under the steering colum loosend the air duct but its still not coming outis there some thing I missed.

I got that one its just the gage cluster wont come out I can move it and I got the shift linkage off Its just it wont come completely out and i dont want to break any thing becuase the last person who owned the car has broken some stuff.

This may (or may not) help you. I took a bunch of pictures of my 71 NO A/C Monte when I replaced the heater core and ended up doing other I/P related stuff. (SNOWBALL EFFECT!)

Pictures 71 heater core NO A/C

did you get the bolt above the steering column? there is two on the sides top and bottom, one above the steering column, one in the center of the dash. as for the dash cluster there is 6 to 8 bolts that holds it to the dash plus the speedo.

I saw 4 bolts at the bottom of the stering colum 2 on one side and 2 on the other do you have to take that completly off? I forced it out about half way and took a break should i try getting it out the rest of the way or not? it seems to be held on by some hing but im not sure what I took off the wire that goes to the stering columis there anty thing that could keep it from coming out.

You are removing the entire dash assembly, not just the gauge cluster, correct? With or with out A/C?

? Parking brake release lever?

? Ground wire left side, mine was attached to the parking brake assembly.

I believe I had to take off the one main wire harness outside bolt at the fire wall to split it in half (inside from outside)

I think it was mentioned but isn't there one more bolt in the center of the steering column along with the 4 in that area?

Take it easy!

I took off those other 2 on the right side of the stering colum ... so if I get that one in the middle of the sterring colum the dash should come off right? I am now trying to get the dash off I have removed 15 bolts from the speakers to colum and from the dash its self.

Hi Jacob,Did you get the info. off of Ground Up? If not do this PLEASE!!

1.Go to Google

2.Go to Ground Up(www.ss396.com)

3.Click on Chevelle (I know it isn't nice too)

4.click on Tech.(just below the picture of Chevelle)

5.follow down to Interior Installation guide

1970-72 Chevelle & Monte carlo dash installation

this will come up as a PDF and PRINT THIS OUT!

It is a very positive tool to the disassembly and re-assembly of your dash.I don't want to see you burn your Monte up!!I hope this helps you out.It's easier to see how to diassemble it than going in blind.Remember hindsight is 20/20.

yes I went to ground up.com and now have the dash almost completly off. when removing the speedometer cables and other cables from the gage cluster how do they come off do you twist them out or pull them out???????????????????????????????????????

Hi Jacob,the speedo has a spring retainer clip.You push clip(upper ring) towards the gauge cluster and pull back on cable,it should disconnect.most of your cables(wire) have a tab on the side of plug and are all push in tab and pull back plug style.I've found a tiny flat tip will push in the tab better then your fingers.Just be careful and take your time.Again read thru the printout a couple of times to make sure you do not skip a step.I have to look thru it a few times so I'm doing just excatly how it reads.The pics are invaluable to what you are doing.Keep it close to you(in the car)So you can glance at when needed.Hope this helps you out.

Originally Posted By: jacob

http://fgmcc.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=148167#Post148167

dont forget to unscrew the gear selector cable from the steering columb before dropping the colume its a small phillips head screw. slide out the clip with cable and tape to dash.