under hood paint color

i have a '72 monte that i am replacing the under hood insulation on, but when i removed it i noticed the hood was surfaced rusted around the edges.i want to repaint the under side of the hood but don't want to lose the original factory look. does anybody know what color black is under there? its not the same as eastwoods under hood black. its more grey-black. or don't it really matter?

• 2 years later...

I am in the process of deleting and archiving old posts and came across this one. I want to place this one in the archives but felt we needed more input so I wanted to bring this topic up to the top. It is an old topic but felt more input was needed. My 70 is very original and not much has ever been done in the engine compartment but the underside of my hood is not the same as the body color but is more a dull or matte black. Could others please respond with their original under hood colors and don't forget to include the year of your car so we can see if at some point they changed the way they did things.

Rob

------------------

To access my website click on the picture or link below.

images...

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain.com/id/robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

My 71 SS454 car, assembled in Baltimore, was Rosewood metallic with the under side of the hood done in about 40% gloss black, I.E. not flat black but not really semi gloss either, and my 70 Monte, built in Los Angeles, was Champagne Gold with the same 40% gloss. When the car was painted black, we taped off the underside of the hood so it is still the same factory paint.

Both of my '72 montes are flat black under the hood and both were made in Baltiomre Md.

Eric

[This message has been edited by 72Silver (edited 11-24-2003).]

What should be under the hood is EDP, electro-deposit primer. It's that black finish found on NOS panels. There may be considerable body color overspray underneath, as in the area of the hood striker.

This finish, being primer, often weathered badly, becoming flat.

I got to tour a GM assembly plant in 1971, and there was no paint applied to the undersides of the hoods, except for body color overspray. The paint "booths" were actually tunnels, and you could watch the entire process. The nose panels were painted seperately and then attached to the body, after being assembled into a complete nose.

• 1 month later...

All the Corvette guys are using a color called "blitz black" from John Deere. Available at any John Deere store. It is the closest thing anyone has found to duplicate the original underhood/inner fender/firewall/under hood black used by GM through the 70's. It is also easily available, in a spray can and cheap.

I find it hard to believe that Corvette had anything special in St. Louis asssembly for Corvette given the fact that across the alley they also built trucks and big Chevy's at St. Louis assembly.

If you can/will check the GM AIM requirement, I'll bet the black out black was very consistent throughout the different car lines and makes. Only tint differences would have been from different suppliers.

As a backup there is always "1613" Krylon semi flat black.

I recently was reading about the paint in the engine compartment and this is what I learned. The firewall, the upper radiator support which the stickers are attached to, the brace which runs across the front, attaches to both fenders and grille, the area between the firewall and the windshield and the underside of the hood were all painted with the same paint which was a simi gloss. This paint is now made under the label "Details" and is distributed by the company of the same name in the are located in San Diego, Ca. Their phone number is 619-451-1901.

Rob

Ok, lets all save a little money here. For those of you whose under hoods are a blackish color, use Krylon semi-flat black in spray cans. I've read in more than one restoration guide and have used plenty of it myself and it is a perfect match to the original color. Best of all it's one of those colors that if you ever have to touch it up, it always blends and matches perfect. It can also be used on your firewall, frame rails, rad support and almost anything that GM painted black under your hood.

Always wear a respirator, the life you save may be your own.

Later, Steve

i've done several gm restoations and what i've found to work the best is GM,black reconditioning paint.i get it by the gallon and it's under $30, also it's a single stage product so no other products are needed. it lays out real nice and flashes off to a perfect finish between flat and semi-gloss. as always it's the end result your after as to what you use to get there. if interested the part # from GM is 1#1050104. hope this assist those looking for a factory look.also remember the top coat is only as good as what you spray it over!! good luck