removing tow reciever from bottom of truck bumper

Kevin Wiles

Its just a reciever tube welded to the bottom of the bumper. I'm removing it and installing a real hitch. the weld is very thick. I tried grinding it off but it takes forever to get thru it.. i tried using a cutting wheel but it grinded down the cutting wheel in about 40 seconds. What do i do?

If you know someone with a cutting torch, they could cut it off. The heat will affect the bumper. Discolor chrome, burn off paint, melt plastic. Grinding will work eventually. Slow, but will do the least amount of damage to the bumper if you are careful.

------------------

Steve

I couldn't tell from your post if you are trying to remove the hitch, or the weld that is left behind. If you are just trying to remove a giant lump of weld it might help to anneal it so a grinder will have an easier time of it. I anneal sheet metal from time to time because too much hammering makes the metal too hard to shape. The method works for me on steel and aluminum and should soften the weld for you. I use a oxy-acetylene torch and set the flame rich in acetylene. There should be slight smoke from the flame. Run the flame over the area you are working and cover the metal with a layer of soot. Now adjust your flame to neutral and begin to heat the area evenly just until the soot is burned off. Keep the torch moving, and kind of warm the entire area. Let the item cool by itself until it is 200 degrees or so, then you can cool it the rest of the way with a sponge or rag and a bucket of water. That's all there is to it. As you grind and work with the metal it will tend to harden again, and you can just anneal it again. Rinse and repeat.