71 Monte Won't start

Z06Electron

From factory there was no relay going to the starter, the last owner probably added that thinking it would solve the starting issue. From the ign. switch to the start will be one wire and then the net safety switch will have a wire. Trying to repair a 40 year old harness after someone cut and slice items like the relay is crazy. For about $600 you could put a new wiring harness in the car that's the harness under the dash and under the hood. Then again that's what I would do and I understand you just want to get the car running so you can sale.

I would rather dump the car for $1000 than spend $600 replacing a wiring harness that is going to increase the resale value of a car like this by $0.

Worst case scenario I will just wire in a momentary switch to start the car.

The wiring and starting system is pretty basic. First I would determine. How bad the wiring is been altered, a few components to look at, do you have a wiring schematic to the car? That way you don't go chasing wires for the hell of it. Items: a test light for sure, Second: Do you know for sure how much is been altered?

You have a few items to check, and yet there's a simple way to getting it started if that's all you want. Repairing it on the other hand, is a little more involved. First: the components..ignition switch, neutral safety switch (column or floor shift?) and starter, I would find the engine bay harness peel a little of the insulation on the surface of the purple wire that leads to the starter,(it's usually just above the valve cover on the pass side)[make sure car is in park or neutral] turn key "ON". With a jumper (wire) lead go straight from the positive (+) battery term to the wire you peeled back..what are your results? If the car starts & runs.. we'll move on? P.M. if you want my phone # and I'll talk you through it.