Looking for wiring guru (Darren)

willie

Hello All, up to cleaning and retaping my wiring harnesses. I am up to the cab section in the plastic 2" harness, that runs under the rug from front to back. Like everyone of the harnesses, wires have been cut and or missing. On this section there are 3 wires that have been sniped. First one in front of car red in color goes thru an inline fuse comes out to a push connector and another red line comes out of that connector (pigtail) about 3" thats where it is sniped. Where does it go?

Also at the rear i have a purple wire that runs from the front to the back but after exiting plastic harness it goes to a connector and comes out other side about 3" and is sniped.

3rd wire is yellow also runs from front to back and comes out the end of the plastic harness, goes into a conector but when it comes out the wire is black about 6" long and then sniped. I am sorry, i do have pics but desk comp is down and i am on my sons laptop.Shhhhhhh

Thanks for any and all help.

Hey Willie, oh boy....... Purple wire that runs from front to back... Does your car have or did it have Rear Defog ?? as the purple wire usually runs from the rear defog switch along with a pink wire and the two part ways buy the plastic kick panel behind the brake pedal. The pink wire plugs into what sounds like you are describing as red wires at the fuse box where the inline twist lock fuse is... they go in that same area, the purple wire carries on under the carpet in that plastic chanel and comes out the rear up to the left side of the back seat when looking in the trunk. that purple wire is suppose to have a female plastic conector on it and then another purple male wire from the rear blower motor attaches giving power to the rear defogger when switch is toggled. The Yellow wire that runs to the rear is tied into the rear tail lights brake lights but shouldnt change to black..When you say red one at front of car do you mean it plugs into the face of the fuse block or the red wire is coming out of the plastic chanel under the carpet as well.?? there should not be a red wire coming out of the plastic chanel under the carpet..

I'll stay online for a bit for a response..

Darren.

is there a major hurry with this willie as pictures are a thousand words and would help me help you a lot....

The standard colors willie for under there in that black chanel would be Tan. Light-Green. Brown. Yellow. Dark-Green.Orange. White.

optional colors are Black and dark blue side by side together which are for rear speakers and then the purple wire for rear defrost.

There is another single black wire but thats not part of this harness we are talking of, that black single thin wire is part of the tail light harness and is a seperate ground wire run for the tail lights and is only incorporated into the tail light harness and doesnt backfeed through the plastic chanel harness..

Darren.

Darren, I thank you. There is no rush i still have to clean and retape the other harnesses. When i bought the car everything was apart but left out in the open, not being covered everything got weathered. So i am taking it 1 step at atime. I will get you pic some time today (my son is returning home today). I thought the purple wire might be for the rear def the car does have one.

The red wire does come out of the plastic channel going forward, it might plug into the fuse panel, the thing is where the red wire goes into the connector it pigtaials out with a black wire that has been sniped.

As far as black wires there are no continuous black wires involved, there are only 2 pieces of black wire that have been sniped off. 1 from the red pigtailed and the other continuing from the yellow out the back.

Darren thank you for all the help. I looked at the main harness last night and it is a basket case i think i counted about 15 wires sniped, and the fuse panel is pretty crudy. Hopefully they will be speaker wires. So i might just send that out to a rebuilder. I do have a few parts cars but one harness is ripped to shreds, the other doesnt have the options this one has.

I hope these come out. My son had to much weekend at A/C, he is paying for it now.http://www.dump.com/2011/07/15/fascinating-1936-footage-of-car-assembly-line-video/

Did your car have power seats? Just thinking that may be the red power wire that plugs into the fuse block. I can't get to my car at the moment to see where it gets power from.

Also something else you might want to do is run a couple extra wires from the front to the back. I did that with mine just in case I wanted to add a power trunk release. But now I'm starting to look at a power trunk release and closer system.

MonteCarloCustom172.jpg

MonteCarloCustom182.jpg

MonteCarloCustom171.jpg

Ok Darren, my son uploaded them for me.

1st pic red wire out of the front of the plastic chanel, has a pigtail (not sure where it goes)?

2nd pic out of the plastic chanel from the back orange wire changing to black (dont know what this is for)??? (i did say yellow yesterday, i was wrong its orange).

3rd pic also out the back purple to purple (might be the rear defogger)?

I checked the parts car this morning and i cannot see a red wire with a inline fuse anywhere near the fuse panel. I do see a red jumper wire coming from the panel about 4in long with an end for 3 more jumpers, but nothing on them now. Someone pulled alot of the main harness down before i got the car.

Scott, this car does not have power seats. but it does have yellow wires fom both sides of the plastic chanel about midway. I am guessing the seat belt warning lights.

Thanks for any and all the help guys

Hey Willie.... thats better, as I thought In my first reply I mentioned it sounded like you were discribing as red wire with the twistlock fuse was likely Pink in color and went to the fuse block.... IT IS. that pink wire is the main power supply for the rear defog and plugs into the fuseblock. when you look at the fuse block in the middle the center has different shape plugs to attribute what plugs into where such as the access one will be a different shape to the power one and so on. that one in the pic will plug in to one spot only that resembles its shape so right above the Access spot there and the wire that is also pink that is cut is a secondary power supply that could be used for suppling power to the TH400 kickdown switch over on the gas pedal or the grey wire from the maplight on rearveiw mirror can plug into it or it can stay open .... the white rectangle plug in the middle is the other end that pushes onto the rear defog switch.. Pic 2 should come out of the rear as you mentioned up onto the left side or drivers side of the trunk by the hinge that is the power supply (orange) for the trunk light if you had one and the wire does change to black and fishes through the trunk lid skin really awkwardly to the light tucked in just under the lip by the key tumbler area for the trunk lid.

Pic 3 is indeed the power supply (purple) for the rear defog no questions about it and should come out the rear as you mention and hang in between where the rear speakers are for the rear defog........

Darren..

gotta run for now Dr's appointment coming up....

PS the powerseat if you had it would be mainly a thicker Orange wire with a black strip running down it and would pop up through the carpet just under either the bench or bucket seat out of the same plastic chanel....

Thanks for that guys,

I just checked the other 3 harnesses.

1)the main dash harness has 11 or 12 wires sniped

2)the front clip and starter harness has 15 or more wires sniped or pulled apart or shredded. all the sockets are shot.(ohhhh boy)

3)the tail harness has 1 sniped and 1 bad socket.

Various small harnesses seem to be ok, i can clean and retape these, just dont know where they go just yet.

I will get you guys some pics, but i am warning you they are UGLY!!!lol

Would any of these harnesses be differant for a big block or small block? All my parts cars are small blocks, but the cars i am rebuilding are all big blocks.

Scott i will run some flat rope through the plastic harness just in case i decide later to run auto trunk opener. Thanks

Yes Sam, i might, but have to go over them first. I just started to pull the rear trunk harness apart and found 5 more seperations. So i took the one out of the parts car, much better shape. The only thing with that is the parts car was built in Canada and for some reason this harness was wrapped in the sticky cloth tape, unlike my harness wrapped in just plastic tape, so the new harness is going to take something alittle stronger than spray 9. lol. But i might buy a new front harness after i take that one apart.

More pics, these are the front clip harness's

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

Some are starter harness, very bad. Some are front clip harness, also bad.

What do you guys think? I am saying to myself, they dont look good at all. I dont want to do all that work and after installing them have all kinds of problems.

Am i wrong?

You are right I would order a new harness and fuse block, or what I am going to do when I get a place with a garage is take everything out and wire it my own way..

Whatever you may save in reusing the old ones, is probably going to be lost in constantly having to go back and fix things. I'd agree with Ian and just save up and buck up for a new harness and redo the whole thing. Almost as mindnumbing as wire chasing, but a much better result when it's done, and you know it will work right afterword.

Hey Willie, Yeah I am afraid those are to far gone, that is a wiring harness fire waiting to happen both from the bare wires and the amount of breaks. The continuity needs to travel in full strength in order to provide what our cars need,the more breaks and repairs will drop the continuity way to much causing the draw to be much higher than what the gauge of wire can handle thus harness fire or melting big time. The rust issue on the fuse block shown is also too much and is not surface rust or dusting anymore. The future headaches that could arise from useing them once repaired are not worth the hourly cost to fix both before and after problems and a new harness or a used Ebay one will save time and money..One of our other members had an engine bay and dash fire from old wires that were corrected but not right thus taking a full day to remove old harness's and replace completely new and now Zero problems and everything works includeing stuff that didnt before the fire.

Darren.

Who would you suggest getting the new harness from? Mine has almost as many cut wires.

Willie, good luck with the wiring and keep us posted. The is a very informative thread and love the pics.

Thats what i thought, no sense in trying to patch it up and then all the bull dealing with it later.

I am going to look at the parts cars front harness and block and see what that looks like and take it from there.

As Maasai asked where do i order one from? and does it come with the fuse block?

Thanks for the help guys

Willie, I believe Vaughn bought a complete car harness kit that was everything from both underhood harness's and dash and tialight harness that was an exact repro that was all correct color coded and tagged where everything went and the fuse block was included except for the fuses from The Parts Place. I believe he paid $1400 for a complete set up but the harness's can be bought seperately such as the forward underhood one then the engine harness as well as dash seperately etc....

Darren.

Thanks Guys, thats where i will start. Not sure what i will do just yet but atleast i have some options.

Thanks Again everyone for all the help

Willie