Starting Problems on my 72 Monte

Bob

I did something really stupid - I cross connected the battery cables. When I turned the key nothing happened - when I got out of the car I noticed puffs of smoke coming from under the car. I reconnected the cables the correct way and now I have nothing! What did I do? I'm thinking I burnt up the fuse link on the solenoid on the starter, but I am not sure. HELP

Do you get power inside the car? Lights, radio etc? If so you may have only fried the starter wire or starter. Otherwise if you have no power your fuseable like has probably popped.

Oh No!! You let the smoke out!

Check you wires at the starter first. Maybe you just got lucky and melted the fusible links. You should be able to smell where the wires burnt if you can't see it.

That sucks. Replacing fuse links although certainly doable, is a PITA. Best bet is remove the starter and replace them all when you are down there and remember the new ones will not be "trained" so watch your clearance on anything metal they can wear on and short to. And always remeber, red is positive.lol.