Sand Blast V. Acid Bath

I have pretty much completly dissassembled my monte, and am down to the frame. Now that the weather is getting better its time to start putting stuff back together. First thing to do is clean and repaint the frame.

Any suggestions on sandblasting v. acid bath? Im guessing the over all result with the acid bath will be better (more $$).

Im also worried about the boxed in portions of the frame. With sandblasting i've heard that the blasting material can build up in those boxed in areas and lead to rusting since it will hold water. Im also worried if i acid bath the whole frame that the paint/metal protectants will be removed from the frame and the boxed in areas will rust from the inside out since i can't really paint in there.

• 5 weeks later...

I sandblasted mine when the body was off the frame. With everything removed, the interior and the frame rails can be easly blown out with compressed air or a leaf blower.

I was concerned over the residual acid in the places you cannot wash out.

If you sand blast, the finish will be smoother and ready for paint with the rough surface. Usually with the glass media, I don't think it would be a problem as it does not absorb moisture anyhow. But in any case, I would rotate the frame if possible. That would allow the media to come out of trapped areas so when it's painted the material won't blow out and stick to where you are applying paint!

My two ¢

I had mine sand blasted and powder coated. Some of the blast media wound up in the powder coat, but it rubbed out.

Acid is OK if it is followed by hot caustic and phosphate. I would not use just a HCl bath. The frame would bleed forever.

I had two frames dipped in a caustic cyanade solution from ready clean in evansville illinois "cost was $450.00 per frame" which eliminated all rust and paint. then i took my angle grinder and a flap style sanding disk and went over the entire frame then i painted it with 2 coats por-15 rust encapsulator and then 2 coats "sanding inbetween coats to get a smooth finish" of po-15 chassis black and it came out beautifull

Alex

It would cost about $90-$100 around here to sandblast that frame and you would just have to wipe the surface down with denatured alcohol, then paint with frame paint. Who is going to crawl under there and white glove it anyway? icon12.gif

lol

Mr. White Glove Alex? laugh

I havn't taken my frame off yet...not sure if I will though either. Spose I should though since the motor is out. :rolleyes:

you know me picky picky picky lol My car will hopefully win some awards "even though it can only be members choice or presidents choice i think lol." but we will see

Alex