HELP WITH RIGHT ENGINE COMPARTMENT PAINT

START OUT BY SAYING IAM A VERY NOVICE RESTORER.BUT HAVE A 70 MONTE CARLO WITH 23952 ORIG MILES ON IT.WAS MY GRAND MOTHERS CAR SO I KNOW THESE ARE TRUE.CAR SAT FOR 10 YEARS AND NEEDS FRESHING IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND FRAME.WHERE CAN I FIND INFO ON THE RIGHT PAINT CODES FOR THESE AREAS.ALSO IT HAS A 2 BARRELL CARB WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE TO A FOUR IF ANYONE HAS ORIG 4 BARRELL AND INTAKE WOULD LIKE TO BUY THEM FROM YOU.THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER

WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US??? eek.gifeek.gif

Just kidding biggrin.gif.

When you write stuff in CAPS, it usually means that you are YELLING biggrin.gif ...

Welcome to the FGMCC.

Good Luck!

------------------

Best Regards,

Ben

http://thenunz69.tripod.com/

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben N:
WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US??? eek.gifeek.gif
Just kidding biggrin.gif.
When you write stuff in CAPS, it usually means that you are YELLING biggrin.gif ...
Welcome to the FGMCC.
Good Luck!

sorry system we use here at work have to use caps,forgot to hit caps button sorry

</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ADGTRUNKLID:
Welcome aboard the FGMCC Mark! You can try http://www.firstgenmc.com/tech/tech.htm for the paint code info sounds like a great project you got there want to sell? smile.gif I would hope not I hope you hang around, I am sure there is someone with a carb and intake out here.

</font>

no car will never be for sale.Don't have alot of work to pretty much looks new other than those areas have a little surface rust.thanks for the info well go check it out

If your looking for spray paint for your engine compartment, go to eastwoodco.com

Eastwood sells all of the correct paints for detailing your engine. You can get a free catalog also. You can just try using a semi-gloss or satin black spray can from any store if you want to save a little money. I used a lot of cheap satin black cans to detail the frame rails, brackets, etc.

Just a suggestion. Take pictures before you start taking things apart and label parts in plastic bags, to make it easier to put back together. Good luck and have fun.

Good luck and have fun

We have a cheep paint here called Krylon that you can buy anywhere. I stopped using any of it a long time ago because it is crap.

Yes, Eastwood has excelent products. www.eastwoodcompany.com 1-800-345-1178

------------------

George Lines

thanks going to get there catalog.noy really trying to save money,just want to be sure I keep the car pretty close to original.thanks for the info and suggestion

Everyone,

The most accurate paint in a spray can that represents the black out paint used as underhood black is Blitz Black from John Deere. This is the black that all the NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) guys use to replicate the firewall/inner fender/radiator support black used on Corvettes. This color also closely/exactly replicates the black used for underhood parts that were "bucket dipped" (painted) such as A/C brakets, PS brackets etc. By bucket dipped I mean exactly that. Look at your brackets and you will see a run line or little paint dimple as these parts were painted by dipping in black paint on a paint line at the "part" manufacture/assembly plant. The firewall black/ black "may" have been different on a Monte however I would not expect GM to have multiple suppliers of paint for a black out process. There could very well be a difference in brackets and other "dipped" parts as there could have been multipe bracket/parts suppliers who "sourced" their own black. GM is/was pretty good about specifications for everything including part color/finish.

Everyone uses Krylon until they try something better. The products from Eastwood are very good. There are other alternatives closer to home such as John Deere.

Try Blitz Black. It's great paint!

------------------

Mike Strinich

Nashville, Tennessee

72 Monte Carlo Convertible

[This message has been edited by mjs-13 (edited 07-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by mjs-13 (edited 07-26-2002).]

First I sprayed the Impala with Simple Green Cleaner, then power-washed it.

Then on Saturday, my sons & I visited our local autobody supply store "Goodfellow's". We bought 6 cans of U-Pol Satin Black spray paint ($3.75 ea.) for the engine compartments etc., of the Monte & our '65 Impala. I spent Sunday using all of it. The Impala came out EXCELLENT.

The Monte is next!!!

I'm going back today (Monday) to buy a case.

Good Luck!!!

------------------

Remember: Your car isn't LOUD enough, until it rattles the china in your neighbors' china cabinets!!!

Best Regards,

Ben

http://thenunz69.tripod.com/