Rubber Rear Bumper Inserts??

ssmonte70

I am looking for a left and right side rubber bumper pad that goes just inside the rear bumper. These "pads" fit between the bumper itself and the rear body panel. They are held in with 2-3 screws/bolts. They are black in color and "L" shaped. They seemed to be a filler for this small area where the rear bumper wraps around the car. I believe there is a metal insert in the middle of the rubber pad which is why they normally don't make it as they seem to deteriorate and rust out. If anyone has a pair for sale, I would buy them to complete my project.

TAG

I gave several of these away for free at the Eastern Meet, otherwise you could have had them for the price of the shipping to Ill.

Sorry I can't help.

Rob

I am not sure if they were exclusive to the '70 but the originals I have did come off my '70 SS454. Just looking for a nice set to put back on after my restoration was complete. I never found them so I had to put it back together without those in place. I realize I'll have to drop the bumper to install these but that's ok, it will give me something to do.

TAG

Correct me if I'm wrong! But were'nt those exclusively on 70's only?

Rod

fgmcc

You are correct, they were exclusive to the 70 Monte. Nobody reproduces these because there isn't enough demand to produce something that so few people want.

It is hard to find a realy nice set of these but if you even find a marginal set you can use them. The only part that shows on them is the very edge of them. The insert has a piece of metal embeded inside of the rubber and water seeps into the metal around the screw holes and the rusting metal causes them to swell up and become damaged.

Since you only see the very edge of these this damage and swelling isn't a major deal. You can still use them by screwing them on using a washer larger than the screw hole. I would suggest if you find a usable set, try to seal any area where the water can get into the metal and use stainless steel screws and washers to mount them.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

ssmonte70, I was a pretty nice set of these in the junk yark here in Abilene on Monday if your still needing them... Chuck

Chuck,

Let me know how much they are and what you want for your time. I still would like a decent set. They don't have to be brand new or show quality, just so the metal insert isn't rusted thru and they aren't in such poor condition that you wouldn't put them on your Monte if you needed them.

Thanks--

TAG

I think there is a set on Ebay right now under 71 monte search. Good luck,,, Bob

If these are the ones you are talking about on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-71-7...570628009QQrdZ1 I don't think this is the ones he is talking about. I think the ones he is talking about are the ones that were only used on the 1970 Monte and are mounted on the left and right fender to fill the area between the fender and the bumper. When installed on a car, if you look at the car from the side of the rear bumper you will see the very edge of this black rubber filling the indentation of fender.

Rob

Rob-You are correct in stating that the previous posts were the wrong ones. I thank you for clearing that up for him. I believe I still have Chuck working on that for me as he was going to the salvage yard either yesterday or today. Thanks again Rob

TAG

Rob, I haven't been able to make it to the yard yet. Been playing war games all week long. I haven't forgetten about it though. I've got to do some digging out there for spare parts for myself as well. I hope to make it out there this coming week... Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I apologize if the previous post seemed like you were getting the rubber inserts for the 70 Monte Carlo for Rob. Actually they are for me (Troy) ssmonte70. I am still very interested and again, please let me know the cost and what you want for your time. I fully understand your busy, but I am patient, especially when it has to do with a Monte part. Thanks again,

TAG (Troy)

• 3 months later...

Troy,

Got fillers yet?

I finally got a can of black rubber for coating wrench handles and used a 1" chip brush to paint it on mine. You can see some brush marks, but it restored them pretty good. Forget what it's called. Plastic dip?

Tom

Tom-Thanks for the idea. I never did get the parts I was looking for. I still have the originals in a box in my garage. I never thought finding new ones or a good set of used ones would be so difficult. I think I will continue looking for that elusive nice used set. Thanks again

TAG

• 2 weeks later...

Troy,

Got fillers yet?

I finally got a can of black rubber for coating wrench handles and used a 1" chip brush to paint it on mine. You can see some brush marks, but it restored them pretty good. Forget what it's called. Plastic dip?

Tom

Yes, Plastic Dip. You can find it at Lowes. It also comes in an aresol spray can. I've been using it on my sandblasted bumper brackets as orginally they had a rubber like coating on them as well. Works good on the orginal plug wire looms as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made it back out to the yard looking for these... The seals have seen their better days. To many summer days in the Texas heat. I wouldn't put them on my car, so I didn't bother pulling them... Chuck

Chuck-Thanks for looking, I'll keep looking as long as I have the car. I plan on selling the Monte due to health reasons sometime this year. Probably starting at the end of this month and continue until it is sold.

Thanks again--Troy

• 3 years later...