71 SS Rear Bumper Strip

LostnFound

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My original '71 build sheet lists both the Z20 option and bumper guards.

The car only has bumper guards in the front however...and the rear has the rubber strip.

Carl...you are a smart cookie! I didn't know you could enlarge a pic that way either. Yes, it does appear that the strip is there IMO. All I know is that pic was taken sometime between 1971 and approx. 1974 so I would have been between the ages of 7 and 10. I don't remember what year my late Uncle had the bumper replaced but I assume it would have been done when he had bodywork and a repaint done on the whole car whatever year that was. I do remember seeing the outer edge of the bumper bent at one time.

Willie sent me the pics this weekend so I will find some time tomorrow and start my raw material search.

Cheers,

Larry

Larry, Glad you are back. Could you send me those pictures? I have been looking for that raw material You will be shocked on some of the prices. Check out www.mcmaster.com for the rubber. Also I found this at www.customautotrim.com Search part MDG108. Maybe with some more rubber on the back side it might not look so bad. Bookmark the site because they have a lot of stuff.

That molding is supplied bt C Cowles. They are right next to my town. My Grandfather worked for them. I'm 66 yrs. old. They used to supply all the chrome trim screws to GM back in the day. I requested two samples. If I get them I'll send you one. What is the best mailing to Canada? I sent something to Darren and it took forever to get to him. My son-in-law up in Canada alot. I'll ask him if he goes to Ontario. He sells the Spider and Ski-Doos. He has a position with the company. " Bombardier."

Cheers,

Carl

RPO V30 could be "front and rear bumper guards" OR "front bumper guards" I saw it listed as this on a website that I just can't find again....but I'll keep looking for it.

A build sheet would show if RPO V30 was included.

Here's what I'm thinking: These cars could have been assembled at any one of nine plants. Perhaps some plants automatically deleted rear bumper guards when the V30 option was ordered with the SS package and some other plants deleted the bumper strip when V30 was ordered with the SS package.

Imagine: The person putting together the build sheet had to decide between using the bumper strip when V30 was included or to do the full front & rear V30 option.

I have the scoop on this part from a reliable source that it MAY soon be professionally reproduced again like it was until a year ago approximately. I will keep you posted as to what happens. The owner of the previous company (a very nice man to say the least)has retired but there's still hope. He was also disgusted at the price Part's Place had set on the "last one"

Cheers,

Larry

RPO V30 could be "front and rear bumper guards" OR "front bumper guards"...

Here's what I'm thinking: These cars could have been assembled at any one of nine plants. Perhaps some plants automatically deleted rear bumper guards when the V30 option was ordered with the SS package and some other plants deleted the bumper strip when V30 was ordered with the SS package.

That very well could've happened, Paul.

I can see the black horizontal strip on all of the '71 SS454 photos shown where the rear bumper can be seen - it was technically an included part of the package. It has also long been my understanding that if you ordered bumper guards on a '71 SS454 you'd only get them on the front because the SS454's black horizontal rubber strip would take precedent over rear bumper guards (kind of like SS emblems take precedent over RS emblems on the "RS/SS" Camaros of the day that had both Super Sport and Rally Sport packages).

For what it's worth, the SS Muscle Car Red Book lists options, their RPO codes, and prices. I can't locate my copy right now, but I know that for a '71 SS454 the optional bumper guards are listed as being approximately $32 with an additional figure of approximately $16 shown in parenthesis that includes a minus sign in front of the amount, i.e.: (-$16.00). This indicated an amount that was to be subtracted from the final price/credited back to the customer if bumper guards were ordered on a '71 SS454 car.

Hope this helps with whatever you decide to do, Larry!

smile

Dave

Larry and Dave I pulled out my ss muscle car red book bumper guards (v30) it shows $15.80 -31.60. I'm lost on the remote outside mirror (d33) it's list for 12.65, but zq2 has remote control mirror 12.65 - 44.25 is zq2 a sport mirror and d33 being the stock style mirror?

Hey Robert....I'm quoting this off my documentation option sheet based on my V.I.N. and which was provided to me by GM Head Office Vintage Vehicle Services Department.

D35 MIRRORS:LT REMOTE & RT MANUAL CONTROL-CUSTOM SPORT

Not sure if that helps. smile

Cheers,

Larry

In the print at the end of the second page it describes the Z20 option in more detail being....

Z20 includes: Special Turbo Jet 454 Engine with bright accents dual exhaust system; G70x15 wide oval fibreglass belted white stripe tires; special wide rim 15x7 wheels; special suspension with automatic level control; front fender "SS454" nameplate; heavy duty battery; black finished rear panel with SS emblem; remote control outside sport mirror; special insulation. Turbo-Hydramatic M/40 must be ordered.

Beats me Paul....it IS cold up here though. LOL

Seriously though, I suspect there's some differences in the lingo between the Canadian built cars vs the US built cars.

Maybe it is referring to the underside of the hood? Or did all our cars come with that? I really don't know....just typed on here what was typed on the documents. It isn't listed as an option code but just within the summation at the end.

From what I hear, Canadian built 71 SS454 Montes all came with a sport mirror just as Larry's post above suggests. I recently looked at a Canadian built 71 SS and it had the sport mirror.

I'm told it was also possible to get a right side sport mirror on Canadian built Montes but it is very rare. I have not seen this documentation myself though but it sounds like that D35 option discussed above.

• 2 months later...

Whilst sitting on my butt and still waiting for my kidney operation to happen grrrrr. I looked and looked and looked and from what I can see and tell and have read it looks like the Canadian SS cars came with Dual Sport Mirrors on them and the US made cars only came with one for whatever reason no one will ever know ...my guess is like everything else back in the day they made it an extra cost option you could simply buy at the dealership and have them add it so more money could be had by GM and the dealer that installed them.. Now the Custom 72 montes got them as a standard Mirror meaning that the sport mirror was part of the custom package and therefore standard to that option which is what replaced the SS in 1972 anyways....

so D35 was the Sport Mirror or custom mirror in 72

and D33 was also a remote mirror but the Chrome based one and NO they didnt offer a chrome remote mirror on the Pass side only buicks did....

Canada seemed to do a lot of Wacky and Goofy things back in the day in Oshawa like in the chevelle line for 1970 they ran out of 365hp LS-5's for them and none coming in so they stuck in overstocked Corvette 390hp LS-5's in about 23 chevelles which would make them more rare than the LS-6, there is food for thought....... so Canadian Only built monte SS cars haveing the option of Dual sport Mirrors does not surprise me as being Canadian only thing....

so for me and my 2 cents and reading lots until someone can show me a USA built SS monte or Custom that has Dual Sport Mirrors and has a build sheet showing Plural or both then it stands to reason canadian only...... also anyone have a 1970 chevelle they can show me that was USA built with a factory 390hp LS-5 in it??? another goofy canadian thing.......

Darren.

Hey Sam my mistake you are absolutly correct it is the 390hp not 375... The 375hp was the L78 engine not the LS-5... I blame the pills. Hahahaha thanks for pointing that out i shall correct it ..

Darren

no problem here,

didn't know if I missed something, I was told the vette engine had to be the big dog so they rated them at different RPM's and other than the low profile intake, and different exhaust manifolds on the vette they are the exact same engines