Ideas??

jim's 70

Good info.I should have that magazine,I save ALL of mine.I'm thinking of doing a 200-4,I have one out of a '87 astro van.correct numbers for a good rebuild.about $800.00 in hard parts to make it hold up.Torque converter not included in parts price.Could be my winter project.

So...I successfully grenaded my th400 at ATCO today....now what to replace it with?? Thinking I'd like to go overdrive...let's hear some ideas from you guys

sorry to hear about your trans Jim....what's your rear gear ratio...what kind of driving is most important to you....the biggest problem with the 700/200 trans (besides strength) is the gear ratio spreads. There is a bigger gap from first to second that can hurt shift recovery which is more detrimental to a big heavy car, you need to keep a big car moving. If you want an overdrive trans look at a 4L80 (I believe they have the same ratios as a 400 with a overdrive gear...basically a 400 with overdrive) or a GearVendor...If built with a reasonable number of good parts a 400 is a very strong trans...JMO...

Couple of things. The Astro van O/D is a 700R4, not a 200R4. When choosing between the two, either is fine and can be built for most any horsepower except the drag cars.

On the gear spreads, the 700r4 has the steepest drop between 1st and 2nd because the first gear is around 3.08, and the 200r4 is closer to the TH350 so for some the 200r4 provides the best overall gear spread. Also, the 200r4 has a lower final drive ratio in O/D.

I kinda shy away from the 200 and 700....no real research on my part..but usually hear people having problems with them. My initial thought was a 4l60 or 4l80...but the research is just begining lol. Along with the trans blowing up, the posi unit is worn out...so that will be getting an upgrade as well...thinking of going to a 411 gear as well. Im hoping with these upgrades and a 100 shot..ill be in the 11s with the rest of the guys around here lol

A quality built 700 or200 will handle what you need. It's a matter of cost as they are controlled by line pressure and the 4160 & 4180 are handled by computer. A poorly built trans of any type will have problems. The issue for the 700 & 200 are setting the TV cable pressure correctly the first time so you don't burn it up.

I kinda shy away from the 200 and 700....no real research on my part..but usually hear people having problems with them. My initial thought was a 4l60 or 4l80...but the research is just begining lol. Along with the trans blowing up, the posi unit is worn out...so that will be getting an upgrade as well...thinking of going to a 411 gear as well. Im hoping with these upgrades and a 100 shot..ill be in the 11s with the rest of the guys around here lol

Jim from what I remember of your build I think your car would like a 3.73 gear, a 4.10 might be a little too deep....for some honest trans advice you might call Jake at Jakes Transmissions...I sell his stuff as well and he puts a lot of research into what he does...

http://www.jakesperformance.com/4L80E.html

wink

I looked into this a little recently, and concluded that a built 400 and GV would make the most sense for my needs. Sure, the 700 and 200 can handle the power if built correctly, but handle it for how long?

The 4L80 and 4L85 are serious transmissions that could handle the power repeatedly, but you also need to spend a ton of money on the electronic control module for it. (I just read Jake's Transmission link - sounds like a great option, and his controlers are way cheaper than GMs)

The 400 has the strength, they are cheap to build, you can add the GV later if you wish, and that overdrive can handle over 1000 hp. You can have fun splitting gears too. The GV site has a ton of install articles and test reviews on it.

The 4L80 and 4L85 are serious transmissions that could handle the power repeatedly, but you also need to spend a ton of money on the electronic control module for it. (I just read Jake's Transmission link - sounds like a great option, and his controlers are way cheaper than GMs)

Yes they can handle the hp. But, no, they don't have to be computer/electronically operated. I currently run a 4L80 full manual tranny. I have to shift up and down with the convience of no clutch. Just have to work the rpm ranges. My tranny is "guaranteed" to handle 900 hp to the rear wheels. I know overkill with a sbc. Someday it will be aided by a Procharger so I will be set. Gearstar out of Akron, OH built mine. No complaints. However, it is 3-4" longer than a TH400. Test Fit, Test Fit, Test Fit. - Dave

WOW!!...Holy sticker shock batman.....didn't realize there was such a price difference between a 400 and an overdrive....we may just have to reign in these great ideas I keep having. We will have to see how the wallet is feeling come March/April lol. As much as I'd love to do the 4l80...it's looking like the 400 and a gear vendors to be added when finances are available lol

Dave - what did you do for a speedo gear? Do you have a OEM type shifter?

Gearstar made a custom nose for mine to accept the factory manual style speedo cable. I beleive the normal 4L80 is built for an electric style speedo. I also did have it setup originally with the OEM horseshoe shifter. Had the shifter plate by Shift Works. Then I went to a B&M Hammershifter.

Gearstar is pricey but excellent. I am sure there are other companies out there that could build a manual 4L80 for a whole lot cheaper. - Dave

Just for the street driving on the overdrive...one of those "would be nice to have" kinda things. Today, I am thinking the th400 with the mysterious "lower gear set"(still don't know the specs on that) and bump up to a 3:73 rear(may change by tomorrow lol). End of the day, I run a 12.72 now, thinking with the trans and rear change...and the 100shot I'll be in the 11's. I need to dig out my cam card and stuff and post up all the specs. I may be out of my mind...but I think it is obtainable.....while still being able to take the kids for ice cream lol

Just for the street driving on the overdrive...one of those "would be nice to have" kinda things. Today, I am thinking the th400 with the mysterious "lower gear set"(still don't know the specs on that) and bump up to a 3:73 rear(may change by tomorrow lol). End of the day, I run a 12.72 now, thinking with the trans and rear change...and the 100shot I'll be in the 11's. I need to dig out my cam card and stuff and post up all the specs. I may be out of my mind...but I think it is obtainable.....while still being able to take the kids for ice cream lol

No problem cracking into the 11's with that 100 shot. I would get that low fuel pressure cut sensor for it also.

WOW!!...Holy sticker shock batman.....didn't realize there was such a price difference between a 400 and an overdrive....

Huh?

Art Carr 200-4R for 750 HP + = $2695

TCI TH400 SuperStreetFighter 750 HP + & Gear Vendors OD = $4355

What am I missing?

72 454

lunati voodoo 262/268 @50 219/227 lift 530/542 lsa 112/108 1400-5800rpm

1.7 roller tip rockers

eddy rpm air gap

pro systems carb...850 i believe..mech secondaries

msd 6al with msd dizzy

The block was decked at some point before I got it so I have no idea what is in it (any easy way to figure that out)

Can't remember the heads, but they are not the "peanut ports"..i want to say 049..I'll have to yank a valve cover and check

th400...again..unknow..but junk now lol (2200-2400 stall)

3:42 rear....The posi unit is worn out....open to ideas (crossed the stripe at 5500-5600 rpm if I remember correctly)

255/60r15 drag radial...due to be changed, so again, open to idea

NOS Sniper system... set to 100 but can go up to 150

The priorities right now, first the trans, then rear....not opposed to a cam swap in the future, and I need to upgrade the fuel system before spraying.

Main use is a fun street car....usually less then 40 miles at a clip..if that much, but on track day...I want as much as I can reasonably get out of it.

Have at it boys....any and all opinions welcome

Originally Posted By: jim's 70
WOW!!...Holy sticker shock batman.....didn't realize there was such a price difference between a 400 and an overdrive....

Huh?

Art Carr 200-4R for 750 HP + = $2695

TCI TH400 SuperStreetFighter 750 HP + & Gear Vendors OD = $4355

What am I missing?

was looking at the th400 numbers alone vs the 4l80e....The gv unit would be down the road...and at this point..still bouncing everything around...including the time the car would be laid up to pay for all this lol...it's my stress relief so I don't want to have it laid up through next summer. hahaha

http://www.ckperformance.com/resources/GM2004RTRANSMISSIONS.html

http://www.converter.com/vigilante.htm

go with at least a 4.10 in the rear. I run a 4.56 with a 28" tire and it runs under 2100 at 55. Big stall for the strip, lock it up for cruising. There is NO COMPARISON driving one of these with an overdrive and low gears vs a 350/400 with medium (3.73) gears. Anyone who says you don't need one hasn't driven with it. Best thing I ever did to the car. The only reason to run a 3 speed vs 4 is because of money. If you can afford it, do it.