Dual Sport Mirrors

There seems to be a lot of discussion lately regarding the dual sport mirror availability for our Montes. Most think that the passenger sport mirror was not available. My son Liam has a Canadian built 71 SS454 with documented dual sport mirrors. If you see on the GM of Canada documentation (attached), it notes remote driver sport mirror and non remote passenger sport mirror. The D35 on the build sheet indicates “sport mirrors”. We have a brochure from GM of Canada for 1971 SS Montes, and it notes that the drivers sport mirror was standard equipment, but not the passenger sport mirror.

Many of you know more than I ever will about our beloved Montes, so I am just putting this out there for information. Was this a Canadian thing only???

Vaughn

IMG_5057.jpg

scan0147.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

Alls I can say Vaughn is that my American made 72 Monte Build Sheet shows the RPO D35 Code identified as a Custom Mirror L/H. As it is a RPO Code Z03 (Custom) optioned vehicle, it was standard equipment as a Driver Remote Sport Mirror. However, the Build Sheet does not describe it as a Remote Mirror. The RPO Code D33 simply states Driver Remote on the RPO Code list I have been using to identify Codes for our Montes. I take this to mean a remote L/H non-sport mirror! As the Codes didn't seem to be uniform in description from GM Plant to GM plant production facilities, I guess anything is possible.

It would seem unusual that if this dual sport mirror option were available, they havn't turned up through the years.

Is the information you have a official GM Document? Or is it possible someone documented the vehicle options not knowing the mirror was added as an after thought and not original to the Make or Model?

As a interested person in acquiring this passenger sport mirror for our cars, I have spent extensive time & effort in procuering one but have as yet found anything to suggest there was such a mirror. Your document is to date the only information I have seen to suggest the existence of this mirror.

I personally can't confirm one way or the other but would like to believe they were available even if only in Canada.

This has been a on going discussion for some time & hopefully one day we can confirm one or the other with certainty. Your document may be the proof needed!

Doug

There was a guy selling an original Monte Custom parts car on eBay from Long Island that had them. Looked like car had never been touched. I offered him $300 for the mirrors but he did not want to separate car. He was worried what he would put there. Told him I would give him my chrome ones.

.........the set that got away !!

Vaughn, my documentation reads the exact same.

Doug, yes, the documentation package is an official GM document available from GM Head Office Vintage Vehicle Services Department in Oshawa for Canadian built cars only but not just Monte Carlos.

I'll see what else I can find out as soon as I have some spare time. smile

Cheers,

Larry

I searched everywhere for the D35 option for 1971-1972, couldn't find one. All it showed was D33 Remote outside mirror and D34 for the vanity mirror on the visor. It would be interesting to see the actual parts number off the stem.

Doug as Larry mentioned, it is an official GM documentation package of the car. I just posted the one page.

The first picture is a Canadian build sheet. LOL

I will talk with Liam and see if he wants to take the mirror off and try to get a part # for everyone.

Larry, does your Monte have both sport mirrors?

I searched everywhere for the D35 option for 1971-1972, couldn't find one. All it showed was D33 Remote outside mirror and D34 for the vanity mirror on the visor. It would be interesting to see the actual parts number off the stem.

Here is my Build Sheet showing the D35 RPO Code Joe.

1972MONTECARLOBUILDSHEETTEMPLATE.jpg

I have viewed different sites that boast complete RPO Code lists & and found some disparities in almost all of them. I think at least some of them were constructed to show only those RPO Codes available for that specific Model/Make. Just a guess of course.

Okay Vaughn/Larry. That Document makes it official they did exist or at least offered. Why are they so rare? If money were spent to create a mold at least for the base of the mirror, you would think GM would have been hawking them like crazy to get a return on their investment! As a Owner, if it was available, would'nt a majority have requested it? If Liam can get a part # from the mirror base, it may help nail down the history behind this mirror.

For every answer, new questions arise!

Doug

they rated the '71 454 @ 285hp in Canada? confused

I noticed that, too. I guess they had to down-rate the motor so as not to blow off that extra available mirror.

365 gross and 285 net in all 71 Monte SS's including those built in the U.S. The 71 SS actually saw an increse of 5 HP over the 70 SS....from 360 HP in 1970 to 365 HP in 1971 due to a new higher performance camshaft.

"The 1971 model saw only modest styling changes. Inside, the SS model got new "European symbol knobs", and a four-spoke steering wheel became optional. 1971 Monte Carlo also saw the addition of a stand-up hood ornament. Mechanically, it was largely unchanged, although the small-block Turbo-Fire 400 two-barrel engine was dropped. Other engines had compression ratios lowered to allow the use of regular leaded, low-lead, or unleaded gasoline, per a GM corporate edict. Engine ratings fell to 245 hp (183 kW) for the base Turbo-Fire 350 CID (5.7 L) two-barrel, 270 hp (201 kW) for the Turbo-Fire 350-4V, and 300 hp (224 kW) for the Turbo-Jet 400. The SS 454 engine was actually raised to a nominal 365 gross hp (272 kW) despite the reduction in compression ratio. This increase in horsepower was a result of the 454 engine using the more aggressive camshaft from the 390 hp 454 used in the 1970 Chevrolet Corvette and full-sized sedans.

Chevrolet listed both gross and SAE net horsepower figures in 1971 with the impending change to SAE net ratings in 1972. The ratings compared as follows:"

Engine Carburetor Gross hp Net hp

Turbo-Fire 350 CID V8 2-bbl 245 hp 165 hp

Turbo-Fire 350 CID V8 4-bbl 270 hp 175 hp

Turbo-Jet 400 CID V8 4-bbl 300 hp 260 hp

Turbo-Jet 454 CID V8 4-bbl 365 hp 285 hp

LOL....good luck finding a FGMC in a boneyard up here. They were all turned in to Toyotas and pop cans years ago. Any old cars that were still in the boneyards a couple of years ago were crushed when the price of scrap metal was extremely high. I could grab you one from a mini van. kicking

Hey Mr. Bane....I don't see why the plastic mirror mount/spacer that goes between the mirror and the door couldn't be altered enough to make a passenger side sport mirror sit at the correct angle. Maybe a passenger mirror from a later Monte or Camaro for instance...just remove enough of the plastic a little bit at a time until you end up with the right angle. And on a black car, you wouldn't even notice it.

Food for thought anyway. smile

Cheers,

Larry

Hey Mr. Bane....I don't see why the plastic mirror mount/spacer that goes between the mirror and the door couldn't be altered enough to make a passenger side sport mirror sit at the correct angle. Maybe a passenger mirror from a later Monte or Camaro for instance...just remove enough of the plastic a little bit at a time until you end up with the right angle. And on a black car, you wouldn't even notice it.

Food for thought anyway. smile

Cheers,

Larry

I made some mirrors from an 84 Cutlass work on my Monte. Here is the Link

Rodney, the mirror looked great after you reworked it to fit. Can you upload pics to this thread of both the mirrors?

Good job Rodney. What I suggested to Mr. Bane, you had already been there and done that. You are a very handy guy and do nice work! You rock! smile

Rodney, the mirror looked great after you reworked it to fit. Can you upload pics to this thread of both the mirrors?

Good job Rodney. What I suggested to Mr. Bane, you had already been there and done that. You are a very handy guy and do nice work! You rock! smile

I only have pics of the drivers door. I got the passenger door mirror all set up to go on but I am replacing the door itself and haven't got around to doing it yet. I had to grind the aluminium mirror base housing to get the mirror to sit at the proper angle. Easy to do just takes a little time and I had to oblong the original holes in the door for the mirror studs to fit. Then you have to reach into the tight crevice inside the door and put the nuts on the threaded stud of the mirror and simply tighten the mirror to the door. My replacement passenger door is fully loaded with power windows and locks and it's got holes in as if there was a mirror on it already so it should be a breeze to put the mirror that I have on it.

HPIM0450-1.jpgHPIM0449-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Whilst sitting on my butt and still waiting for my kidney operation to happen grrrrr. I looked and looked and looked and from what I can see and tell and have read it looks like the Canadian SS cars came with Dual Sport Mirrors on them and the US made cars only came with one for whatever reason no one will ever know ...my guess is like everything else back in the day they made it an extra cost option you could simply buy at the dealership and have them add it so more money could be had by GM and the dealer that installed them.. Now the Custom 72 montes got them as a standard Mirror meaning that the sport mirror was part of the custom package and therefore standard to that option which is what replaced the SS in 1972 anyways....

so D35 was the Sport Mirror or custom mirror in 72

and D33 was also a remote mirror but the Chrome based one and NO they didnt offer a chrome remote mirror on the Pass side only buicks did....

Canada seemed to do a lot of Wacky and Goofy things back in the day in Oshawa like in the chevelle line for 1970 they ran out of 365hp LS-5's for them and none coming in so they stuck in overstocked Corvette 390hp LS-5's in about 23 chevelles which would make them more rare than the LS-6, there is food for thought....... so Canadian Only built monte SS cars haveing the option of Dual sport Mirrors does not surprise me as being Canadian only thing....

so for me and my 2 cents and reading lots until someone can show me a USA built SS monte or Custom that has Dual Sport Mirrors and has a build sheet showing Plural or both then it stands to reason canadian only...... also anyone have a 1970 chevelle they can show me that was USA built with a factory 390hp LS-5 in it??? another goofy canadian thing.......

Darren.

Nope. Novas still mount at an angle closer to vertical than horizontal. No good.

Been on this witch hunt for years!

Gave up after three purchases on eBAY of incorrect mirrors and eating shipping.

I too am on line at the Part Place. Order has been in place since Nov 2010.

Dan

from what I can see and tell and have read it looks like the Canadian SS cars came with Dual Sport Mirrors on them and the US made cars only came with one for whatever reason no one will ever know

Not all Canadian SS454s came with dual sport mirrors. The way I understand it is that if you ordered an SS454 in 1971 that was built in Canada, it came with a driver's side sport mirror. It was possible though to order dual sport mirrors if built in Canada.

If built in the US, the sport mirror was not part of the SS package. The driver's side one had to be ordered and the passenger side one was not available on US cars.

I do believe Arron is correct.

I have a sales brochure from GM of Canada that states the drivers sport mirror is standard. I will try to get it scanned and post it here.