Sign in to follow this  

car crash

My monte had a wreck today. I had the front end up on 1' of blocks under the tires. The back tires were off with jack stands under the axle. I was trying to separate the back of the car from the frame. I saw it starting to move and tried to lower the air bumper jack. Too late. Stupid me I had forgotten to block the front so it wouldn't roll. I had some jack stands just sitting under the front and one was under the drivers floorboard. It pushed the floor up about 5" and punched a hole. Sounded just like a car having a collision. DUH, that is just what it was doing. Floor is pushed back down, but I still have the hole to deal with. Took me about 1 hr to get back to where I was before things happened. At least there was no outside dammage after all that body work.

George,

Look at the bright side..........at least you weren't underneath it at the time. Sorry about your bad luck, but it could've been much worse!

Sorry to hear about the Monte. I to have had a proplem like that. Once I had the Monte rear end jack up and the hdy life released with me not under it put the handle went threw the garage wall.I think we all have done some pretty dumb things with are cars. We just need to learn from them. I am sure others will talk about some of the mistakes we made with our monte carlos. So let's hear about. It might be fun to hear about it.

George,

I echo the sentiment, glad you weren't under there! Look at the bright side, you don't have to pull over to go to the restroom anymore!

Allen

george soory to hear about the "crash" I'm glade to hear you were not hurt if you need me to ever give you a hand with somthing let me know I'm working a lot less lately John

Was under the car today bolting the body back on. Found the real dammage. The car had landed on one stand under the frame on the pass side near the crossmember where the center bracket is welded and collapsed the frame and the bracket. Another had tipped sideways under the new fuel tank and put a nasty dent in it. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do about repairs. What a setback! Very depressing! I may try using air pressure in the tank while trying to remove the bad dent. I may have to section the frame.

i've managed 3 silly mistakes with my monte.. poor girl.

first.. missed the trailer when trying to load it when I first got it (didn't run, was being pushed)

got it hung up on the trailer.. (#1)

when they yanked me back off the trailer with a big truck, I backed into the truck they used to yank me cuz I couldn't stop quick enough (#2)

and then just recently, didn't do the lugnuts back up correctly on the front right (still haven't figured out how) and the front wheel fell off while I was driving (bout 35mph) (#3)

anyone got a good passenger side front fender for a ' 72? :>

------------------

'72 monte w SBC 'nuff said.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kc8oye:
i've managed 3 silly mistakes with my monte.. poor girl.

first.. missed the trailer when trying to load it when I first got it (didn't run, was being pushed)
got it hung up on the trailer.. (#1)
when they yanked me back off the trailer with a big truck, I backed into the truck they used to yank me cuz I couldn't stop quick enough (#2)

and then just recently, didn't do the lugnuts back up correctly on the front right (still haven't figured out how) and the front wheel fell off while I was driving (bout 35mph) (#3)
anyone got a good passenger side front fender for a ' 72? :>

</font>

I once did a till 2am bearing replacement on a 57 chevy 2 dr station wagon I had (wish I still had it). I jumped in and hit the starter. No oil pressure. I instantly knew that I had left off the oil pump. I had greased the bearings with white lube so there was no damage. Went to bed. It took me 20 min to rectify the problem the next day.

I did the same (trailer) thing to a 68 Ford Mustang one time.

Drove it up the ramps and almost had the back tires on when (unknown to me) there was a block infront of one of the front tires. It wouldn't go so I gave it a little gas and 'shot' the ramps out from under the back tires. I couldn't let go of the break or it would slide off. I couldn't shut it off because I had to 'hot wire' it to get it started. I couldn't open the doors because the trailer had those stupid 1ft high rails all the way around it. And to beat all, my wife was at the store.

It finally quit sliding so I crawled out the window and shut it off. No damage, (thank God, it was my father-in-laws) I jacked it up with a floor jack and lots of blocks and backed the trailer under it.

Ben

Been working on a quickie home built frame straightener out of 5" channel which used a hydraulic jack. With about 6 hours of labor, I got the frame straight. All I have left is to plug 2 half inch holes in the bottom that I had to drill. Now I can get back to finish welding in the roll cage.

That's the fun of having a car hobby; It's always one step forward, two steps back.

Rinse and repeat.

Speaking of trailer mishaps, I had the olds on my trailer when we were still bulding it, and forgot to put the rear straps on it. I pulled it out of the garage and when I hit the brakes it tried to eat the back of my Bronco frown.gif

Ian

------------------

frontshot1.jpg

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/iann/monte.html

so much for the theory that Gm cars don't like fords wink

Speaking of trailer mishaps, I had the olds on my trailer when we were still bulding it, and forgot to put the rear straps on it. I pulled it out of the garage and when I hit the brakes it tried to eat the back of my Bronco frown.gif

Ian

I just had my Ford truck all repainted, new front bumper, it was looking beautiful, had it for tow weeks, left it in my driveway, in 2nd gear, the tranny popped out of gear and the truck rolled into a cherry tree, took out the bumper, rad support, hood, cowl, door front fender and windshield DOH!!!!! that was two years ago

Sign in to follow this