Correct Seat Belts for 1972 Monte

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm not sure if 72 were any different from any other first generation monte, or for that matter any GM a-body cars of that time. I do know that there were at least two types of belts used. There was the standard kind with plastic, colored buckles. then there were the deluxe kind with stainless brushed buckles. Other than that, I don't know of any other choices. Hope that helps.

Mike

1972 seat belts have the small, coated, push button buckles with the blue and white GM mark of exellence on the push button. I believe these are the standard seat belts. I'm not sure if there was a deluxe option in 72 that gave you the large pull type buckles.

I have seen two type seat belts.

The 72 Deluxe Seat Belt package included the warning light and buzzer in the dash with sensors built into the seat and retracter belts.

The shoulder harness slipped into the retracting seat belt and click into one small buckle.

Unfortunately the plastic buckles had a reputation of exploding apart at the button under the pressure of the spring.

I have seen the small metal buttons as well.

The One's I have are the traditional GM black plastic larger buckles that have sepearate buckles for shoulder harness and seat belt makes for a cumbersome pile of belts up front on a bench seat.

That may be true.

I replaced all of my belts with a set off of Ebay from an Impala I think.

My originals belts only had one good buckle and i couldn't find replacemet buckles. Wish I had gotten the stainless buckles but wasn't sure they would fit my belts.

plastic large gm style was used on all 3 years . like Bills picture , in 70-71 you could get the stainless deluxe , in 72 the seat belt warning system style used a small diecast metal this was in cars equipped with a seat belt light in the dash

Leo

i believe the seat belt warning was the option , or possible a late year addition as a safety gaget , in 1974 they actually made it impossible to start your car without buckling up in some gm cars i had a 74 monte equipped that way

Leo