what is the correct orange engine paint

any ideas on the most correct orange engine paint.opg sells a orange/red for 27.00 that is suppose to harden with heat or is the 8.00 vht good enough.or better yet what is orange/red. thanks gene

Gene, I completed a "factory correct" restoration of my engine compartment last year and researched the engine paint deal. The fact of the matter is, GM has no color code, swatch, or example of the correct Chevy orange engine color for the muscle car era. As far as getting the "right" color, you'll never find it. I even drove 20 miles down the road to Pro-Team, one of the leading experts in collectable Corvettes to get their insight. GM trim paints in the 60's and 70's varied significantly in the general appearance from one batch to the next. You could take to Chevy engines in let's say '71 and put them side by side and there colors could be slightly different,one may seem "redder" or "oranger" than the other. Other than the overall physical quality of the paint, one will not be more "correct" than the other. The Vette guys swear the Duplicolor is the closest, I think it seems to red. I think the Plastikote seems the right orange and a nice gloss, but if you're color blind, I guess the whole discussion is moot.