My car in Old Autos Newspaper

There's a classic car enthusiast Canada wide newspaper called Old Autos. I subscribed to it a few months back and when I did, I sent them the story and some photos of my car as they like to run stories like that. In the Oct 1 issue, they ran the story about my late Uncle's car complete with several photos. I never knew it until today as I hadn't fully read the issue yet.

They did a great job of it and it took up half a page. smile

I'll see if I can scan and post it tomorrow at work.

Cheers,

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

What a cool story. I hope my kids will feel the same way about the 1970 Monte Carlo, 1965 GTO and 1986 Grand Prix when they are older. My dad once told me "never fall in love with a car, son". He just never understood and still doesn't get what it is to be car crazy. Enjoy that car. It is a member of the family.

My dad once told me "never fall in love with a car, son" My dad always told me it was JUST transportation. He basically was right that is what it is but it sure is nice to have transportation that you really like. Whenever we would go out together I would always say there goes a 65 GTO, 72 Monte Carlo or a 63 Split Window Corvette and he would just shake his head a stare at me. When I had my 68 NOVA 4 speed I always had my right hand on the gear shift and that drove him crazy. We are of a different generation than our parents were, some of them grew up in the Depression and had hard lives as youngsters we have had it relatively easy in comparison.

Larry,

Sorry I missed your article earlier - I was in transit from MN to FL via KS at the time. Great article - very well written! These first gen Montes are so special in their own right, but when there is a historical family connection that just puts it over the top!

As much as I love both of my current '70s, I would just about give my eye teeth to have my first one back in any condition. Unfortunately, I don't have any record of the original VIN so I could never be sure although some mods I did before selling it could be strong clues if they still existed.

If I ever come across another '70 with a 402 and a light sandalwood bench interior, I would be very tempted to snag it and try to replicate my original. Technically, I could probably build one from just about any '70 but I rather have a closer starting point.

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. Hang on to that Monte!!