Custom Center Consoles

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

I like how the first one could be removed to go back to original. Having an original column shift w/buckets, better looking than the cheap plastic thing I use now. Converting to a floor shift/console is not a cheap and easy change.

Mike

• 3 months later...

Here is my question and info I received back from Randy in 2011 about his consoles for our cars.

Subject: Do you make housings that fit 70-72 Monte w/burlwood trim?

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:10:43 -0400

Very good looking housings. I like the fact the look factory. Want to add gauges to keep track of engine vitals but want to keep stock appearance.

Will these bolt up to any A-body dash and fit flush? I have a 70 Monte SS454. Same dash as Chevelle.

Any pics of one installed on a Chevelle/ Monte?

Any info appreciated.

Dan

-------------------------------------------------

Hi Dan,

Thank you. A more factory looking appearance was the idea when I came up with these. Those chrome brackets just don't do it for me.

I'm afraid I don't have any pics of one in a Monte or Chevelle. I can say that the 70 442 burlewood wood grain is a good match for the Monte Carlo wood grain.

The mounting brackets you see on the housings in the pics are unique to the 68-72 Cutlass dash because I have a 70 442 but I can make a housing with out mounting brackets. Usually, simple L brackets are all that are needed to mount the housings in other cars. I will provide enough black painted head semi-tubular rivets for you to install brackets for a professional appearance.

The standard housings are about 11 3/4" across the top, about 4" tall and 7" deep, front to rear. As you can see in the pics, the top three edges are all on the same plane. In other words, you could lay it on a table upside down and those edges would be pretty flush with the table surface. I am telling you all of this so that you can have a look at the under side of your dash with the above info in mind and see if you think there's a place where you could install it. Keep in mind that the 1/8" abs plastic is very easy to work with so if you needed to cut, file or sand one or both sides to mate up to a/c ducts etc, it would be easy to do. I also have a 71 Lemans and I had to cut a curved chunk out of the pass side to fit around the a/c duct.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Randy

Mike, take a look into 3M's Di-Noc series of woodgrain vinyl. They have a burlwood pattern, how well it would match I do not know, but this stuff works great for heating, stretching, and wrapping pieces. I hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks! I'm a sign maker so I may have to ask my distributor if they stock it. Cool!

Mike, take a look into 3M's Di-Noc series of woodgrain vinyl. They have a burlwood pattern, how well it would match I do not know, but this stuff works great for heating, stretching, and wrapping pieces. I hope this helps.

Tom

Guys are even using that wrap to cover cars instead of paint, here is a place that does a lot of it link to their gallery ( Link ) They a corvette, infiniti, accord and a jag fully wrapped in chrome cool