Hub Centric Rings

Xxyyzz

Summit sells them. Contact them, they should be able to help.

I agree. Their tech line is pretty good and they should be able to easily help you.

Interesting discussion. I have never even heard of these things till now but I understand that it is important to have the center of the wheel fit snugly on the hub, for correct fit and proper strength and durability. I have only ever used stock wheels on all my cars. I remember mid 70's Ford had problems with their aluminum wheels corroding and sticking to the hubs when people didn't rotate their tires and with SALT on the Michigan roads in the winter. Very hard to remove those things!

Bruce

Even if it hubcentric, couldn't it be the wrong center bore? IE: too big

The hub centric rings will fit inside the center bore of the wheel and take up the space to make the wheel fit tightly around the hub.

I don't think those wheels are hub centric as its lug centric. If the shop is going by the the center opening CRR-3425834.jpg there is a large center cap that goes there saying Cragar crr-29270-1_w.jpg. The rim itself rest on the lug nut studs.

All wheels are lug-centric. If the lugs were not radially spaced centric to the wheel, you would have a pretty awful wheel, let alone ride.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but I'll say it anyway (I skimmed pretty quickly). The hub opening needs to be perfrectly concentric to the wheel as the wheel balancer clamps the wheel onto a tapered shaft surface.

Yea, I don't get it. If they can't mount the tire on their balancer, then why do YOU need to get the adapter to make it fit? If this is only needed for the purpose of balancing...But looking at the catalog I see they only cost about $2 each and are made of plastic?

Your wheels are supposed to be centered by the lug nuts, and don't need to fit snug in the center on the hub. I've seen wheels where the center hole isn't even close to being round... Those are a bugger to balance with the typical cone-type centering tools that balancing machines use.

Here is an example:

The inner side of the hole has like 4 curved sides, and the outer side of the hole is so small that the thru-shaft on the balancer barely fits through...no room for even a tiny cone there, but there is considerable slop making it impossible to mount straight.

wvi-50-5834042_sn.jpg

Find out from your shop WHY they recommend the hub centric rings.

I remember seeing some wheels a few years ago that the lug holes were elongated. I could wee where these hub centric rings would be needed on wheels like that. The lug nuts for these wheels were supposed to line everything up but I have seen them fit loosely when the wrong nuts were used.

I remember seeing some wheels a few years ago that the lug holes were elongated. I could wee where these hub centric rings would be needed on wheels like that. The lug nuts for these wheels were supposed to line everything up but I have seen them fit loosely when the wrong nuts were used.

The elongated ones were universal wheels. I've seen ones that fit a 5x4 3/4 and a 5x4 1/2 lug pattern, the center was not hub centric either. They need a shank style lug nut to hold them in place.

crr-kn2121.jpg

I had a problem with balancing Wheel Vintiques ralley wheels before because they were not hub centric, I ended up having them balanced on the car by the old guy at the tire shop.

I had a problem with balancing Wheel Vintiques ralley wheels before because they were not hub centric, I ended up having them balanced on the car by the old guy at the tire shop.

I believe I bought a Wheel Vintiques rallye for my full-size spare and it was balanced without fuss.

I had them balanced when I got them, then had a vibration. Had them checked at the same shop that balanced them the first time and they were off... Rebalanced and still had the vibration. After having them done on the car vibration went away for the most part...

Factory wheels center on the hub and are hub centric without rings. Some aftermarket wheels are hub centric (centered on the hub) because the wheels fit a variety of manufacturers they use a spacer ring or centric ring to center the wheel on the hub. The wheel manufacturer will be able to supply the right ring. Some aftermarket wheels center on the lugs. be careful mounting the wheels snug all the lugs before tightening to the correct torque.

I measured my Original 1971 ft disk brake and got 2.78"

I also measured the replacement rotor and got 2.77"

Bruce