My Monte now at home in France

Hi everybody !

I bought my Monte back in 2010. It is a 72 californian car in pretty good shape.

A friend of my friend who lives in US bought it for me and did some maintenance to make it a decent runner.

New vinyl top, new 2,5" dual exhaust, new bumpers and some other little things.

Now it's in France, since a few days.

Here are some pics (As you can, there is a bump on the front fender... something bad happened during shipping... ) :

P1040544.jpg

P1040548.jpg

P1040555.jpg

Glad you have finally received your Monte, Romain! At least it got there in one piece ... looks nice in spite of the nasty dent.

It wouldn't be fair to generalize, but it seems there are more and more baggage, package and cargo handlers that purposely damage goods in shipment. My wife saw a news special on TV recently about the purposeful damage and destruction that some drivers from one very well known express shipping company were doing. Hope they got terminated ... or maybe they should be handled for a week like they handle packages!

Of course, some of it may be just carelessness, but who do they think pays their wage if not the consumer? Hope you get some financial help getting it repaired.

Thanks for representing the FGMCC in France! Enjoy the club and your nice Monte!

Yes the dent sucks a lot !

As Dennis says, many people encounter problems whith shipping. Sometimes it's little things, sometimes not... Anyway, I am trying to find a deal with the company.

I know 4 Monte here in France. I guess two (french) Monte owners knows this forum smile

I am really proud to own this Monte. I like american cars so much... (My daily driver is a little Park Avenue).

Hi, just a short video of my Monte... As my friend says in french, vacuum hoses should be inspected...You can hear backfires (engine was cold).

Paint is dirty, and interior is too...

On the rear fender the paint is dull... Do you have any idea how to make it shine ?

It's always good to give things a once over... i.e. timing, hoses, fluid levels, spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor. That is awesome that you had that shipped over there. I really need to get my Monte up and running. I really like the pic in your signature, well done!

• 2 weeks later...

Some news of french Monte...!

I finally got my Monte. I drove it back home, about trouble-free 600 miles.

It was the sweetest day of my car-guy life !!!

The bad thing is that it's 2bbl 350 but it runs pretty well. I don't know how or why, but wheels spin easily when you hit the gas pedal laugh

Thought 2bbl where boat anchors... I was wrong.

Anyway, I hope to get soon a decent dual plane intake and a 4bbl carb.

Here is me trying to move the car grin

post-411-0-92629000-1354380817.jpg

Fantastique Romain, combien pour faire le plein? shocked

Peût-importe, l'aventure commence!

Oh and we're looking for a volunteer to make the trek and be the first to snap a pic of a Monte in Monte Carlo grin. You would be the first as far as I know and it would make quite the trophy for the site. By the way, I see you have the same type of vinyl roof as mine, I'm starting to wonder if they were available like that.

I was wondering the same thing about the vinyl top, possibly just a 72 thing??

The vinyl tops like that are dealer or aftermarket installed, not factory.

I was wondering the same thing about the vinyl top, possibly just a 72 thing??

My 71 had the exact same Vinyl top (vinyl without the trim all the way to the rails and down the A-pillar). It also has the vinyl top code on the body tag. When I removed the top, there was no indication of ever having the vinyl top trim before...

I have seen at least one other Monte at a show which had the same type of Vinyl Top....

Could they have delivered Montes to the dealers without a top for dealer installation? Sounds weird...

How was the trim piece by the script on the sailpanel changed?? Did they just make a small piece to fill in the gap?

The vinyl top on my 71 looked exactly like the one on Shnalla's car. There was a chrome strip which ran from one rain gutter below the rear window to the other side rain gutter. The vinyl went all the way to the gutters...

04_April_2001.jpg