What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

The saga continues! smile

Front door power windows and door locks now completely installed. Switches in passenger side door panel cut and panel installed. Both doors now fully functional with power.

Maybe tomorrow cut for switches in driver door panel and install switches / panel. Still need to route power the way it should be from fuse block. Using alternate power source from fuse block until then.

The pics of doors show how wiring harnesses were routed. After much experimentation (but not absolute), I believe this is how they were intended factory installed. confused

100_4165-Copy.jpg

100_4164-Copy.jpg

100_4166.jpg

Almost ready to do rear quarter windows and (hopefully) will go without a hitch and will be done! smile

I will finish up this project with the power bucket driver seat, install the wireless entry/trunk release kit and be done! laugh

Then I will start doing the normal things! shocked

Will update upon completion and satisfied everything functions as expected. I anticipate slowing down some to manage other non related tasks. frown

Doug

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I re-did the Air Ride Control arm divider Valve switch that goes on the rear of the convertible. it took a while but turned out great, it was almost a complete blob of tar and undercoating but its clean now..... I can still see the Delco part number clearly,now I have to do the rest inc the tank. I have brand new NOS AC Delco air ride rear shocks and Black lines to put in as well..

Darren.

photo1_zps18071d98.jpgphoto2_zps8431fc73.jpgphoto3_zpsef3f18ba.jpgphoto4_zps14c27725.jpgphoto5_zps142eaed1.jpg

Very nice work indeed Darren. You do great work. smile I too have the NOS shocks and black lines for the system tucked away. I haven't reconditioned my valve yet though and I'm not sure if the numbers are still visible. I'll get it out soon and look at it.

Looks amazing, Darren! Probably better than it did right off the production line (they did build a few convertibles, didn't they?). wink

I was comparing your photos to the ones I took when I refurbished the control valve on my '70 SS a couple years ago. I noticed the thin black pad on the base of your valve's mounting bracket. Is that a production item? I didn't have one under my valve and the Assembly Manual doesn't show one either.

I'm not entirely sure what I have since the part number on my valve assembly doesn't match yours or the Assembly Manual. Just by comparing my photos to yours, they sure look the same but that part number is different (see photo below).

ValvePartNumber_zps361e889e.jpg

Also, I found it was ten times more difficult to remount the valve than to remove it. The factory must have mounted the valves on the chassis before the body was joined because the two mounting bolts go up through the valve bracket and through a frame member. The area on top where the washers and lock nuts go is blind and nearly inaccessible (see photo below). There is so little room that I had to tape the nuts to some flat bar stock to hold them in position to start the bolts. Then you have the challenge of tightening the nuts. There may be a slick, easy way to do that job, but I never found it.

PA201566_zpsa44ed0dd.jpg

Installed a "plug & chug" took all of 2 seconds. Pull out ashtray and slide this in place of it, instant cup holders.

97A2B894-C549-479C-9471-72FAB9F29D7C_zps

Darren, I suspect that your valve's date is 165th day of 71 for a 71 Monte?

Dennis, I suspect that your valve is dated 269th day of 69 for a 70 Monte?

Mine is number 4950745 and is dated 49th day of 71 which is date correct for my car.

Darren, I suspect that your valve's date is 165th day of 71 for a 71 Monte?

Mine is number 4950745 and is dated 49th day of 71 which is date correct for my car.

Mine would be correct Larry as they had them in Monte Carlo Convertibles…..

smilesmilesmilesmile

Dennis your PM box is full and the rubber piece on the mounting bracket I added to stop any possible future rot and any rattles thats all thats an add on I guess.

Darren.

Corey, your interior shot looks great! I'll have to get a couple of those cup holders.

Dennis, there are at least 2 different part numbers for the valve actuating levers. Yours is the same as the one on my Jan. of '70 built SS. My spare (the top one) came from another '70 that was built not long after. There are slight differences in these two. As noted by Larry, the date code is on them.

Darren, very nice job on the valve. Do you have the metal clip that goes over the round plastic pin and holds the rubber plug in?

Dan

408407255.jpg

Hello Dan, I do but it split in half when I tried to remove it. I have another one but forgot to put it on until you just mentioned it. hahaha

Thanks I will now put it on tomorrow…

Darren.

Thanks, Larry, 269 corresponds to September 27, 1969 and my '70 SS was built on October 16, 1969 so the valve is probably original to the car (as I suspected from the years of road grime and POR-15 that a previous owner had sprayed on the undercarriage).

The unusual thing is the part number but Dan says he has the same number on an early '70 SS valve also so, again, my valve is probably original. The '70 GM assembly manual only lists the 4950745 part number but several unusual things were known to be done in early production. My SS also had one of those dash inserts with the top edge missing.

I over did it last year when I went to a 3.73:1 gear. So Thusrday I dropped back to a 3.31:1. Yesterday I pulled the right exhaust manifold and replaced the stove pipe tins. Today I am all about yard work.

Drove it into work this morning to install new diff cover and rear air bags. Very noticeable improvement with the air bags. I had the original stock springs with 1 inch spacers, ride height was good but felt a little mushy. The air bags gave me height adjustability and a firmer ride, real happy so far.

39D83CC5-2B72-4479-8A74-252C2B2966CE_zps

AA525176-6FAE-4E63-A194-11D22937249A_zps

B4C3D1F2-13BC-4033-A48B-B3E87F55B38B_zps

D079A13D-3105-4188-9DEE-713001245B08_zps

5B8C9685-CD46-492B-A5E2-469A194F61D0_zps