What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove it into work this morning to install new diff cover and rear air bags. Very noticeable improvement with the air bags. I had the original stock springs with 1 inch spacers, ride height was good but felt a little mushy. The air bags gave me height adjustability and a firmer ride, real happy so far.

39D83CC5-2B72-4479-8A74-252C2B2966CE_zps

AA525176-6FAE-4E63-A194-11D22937249A_zps

B4C3D1F2-13BC-4033-A48B-B3E87F55B38B_zps

D079A13D-3105-4188-9DEE-713001245B08_zps

5B8C9685-CD46-492B-A5E2-469A194F61D0_zps

My hats off to you Cory that is one beautiful Monte from any angle. The color scheme you chose is one of my favorites for sure. Keep on inspiring the rest of us...

Found out the hard way that i have a cooling issue... gotta tear into it and see how bad it is. =(

My hats off to you Cory that is one beautiful Monte from any angle. The color scheme you chose is one of my favorites for sure. Keep on inspiring the rest of us...

blush Thanks Patrick, will do. Its still work in progress, more work/upgrades coming soon.

Originally Posted By: abe72
Cory, that's one clean undercarriage for sure.

One question, how do you adjust the air bags?

Abe, the air bags have a valve stem just like your tires. Same concept as air shocks but these are bags installed inside your rear springs. You simply add/subtract air to your liking. Doesn't take much air to make a very noticeable difference which really surprised me. I initially put in 30 psi in the bags and too my surprise it raised the rear end 2 inches. Drove it home from work like that just to see how it felt and even jacked up that much it was firm but still a very nice ride. I have since adjusted the pressure down to 11 psi which raised my rear about .75 to 1 inch and seems to be perfect, firmer ride now with the air bags, exactly what I was looking for. Extremely easy install in less than an hour, I didn't even have to drill any holes at all.

Here is some info on the package/part# I purchased

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/air-60744/overview

Originally Posted By: Patrick Sheean

blush Thanks Patrick, will do. Its still work in progress, more work/upgrades coming soon.

Originally Posted By: abe72
Cory, that's one clean undercarriage for sure.

One question, how do you adjust the air bags?

Abe, the air bags have a valve stem just like your tires. Same concept as air shocks but these are bags installed inside your rear springs. You simply add/subtract air to your liking. Doesn't take much air to make a very noticeable difference which really surprised me. I initially put in 30 psi in the bags and too my surprise it raised the rear end 2 inches. Drove it home from work like that just to see how it felt and even jacked up that much it was firm but still a very nice ride. I have since adjusted the pressure down to 11 psi which raised my rear about .75 to 1 inch and seems to be perfect, firmer ride now with the air bags, exactly what I was looking for. Extremely easy install in less than an hour, I didn't even have to drill any holes at all.

Here is some info on the package/part# I purchased

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/air-60744/overview

Okay I see now. Guess my question should've been, do you use an outside compressor or on-board. but i see the kits on the link provided.

Thanks,

Abe

1971:

Pulled out the back seat in search of the Canadian broadcast sheet. The seats have all been redone so the chance was low. I did find the tail end of it which is more than I expected to find.

Removed and cleaned up the console trim. Replaced the lens on the console. Also installed new arm rest pads and cleaned up various other interior parts. Looks better but still a lot of detailing to go. Took it for a cruise just so I can hear the new mufflers I put on yesterday.

1970:

Walked past it several times while grabbing tools for the 71, LOL.

Started digging trying to determine how bad I'm screwed, found that coolant was leaking out of 3 of the driver's side sparkplugs... Hoping it's just the headgasket and not the head itself, but gonna wait until I have money for parts before digging deeper.

Cruised around all over the place today, beautiful sunny 72 degree day here in the Prison City. Went to Easter brunch out at my parents house, then had dinner at the in laws. Perfect day for burnin up gas in the Monte. My 2 boys just love riding in it.

Pulled the old front bumper and filler panel getting ready for the new ones.....trying to decide if I want to splurge and buy new parking light lenses?!?!?!?!?!

Pulled the old front bumper and filler panel getting ready for the new ones.....trying to decide if I want to splurge and buy new parking light lenses?!?!?!?!?!

Hey Rock, I used 2000 grit wet dry sand paper on mine the polished them with rubbing compound and I think they turned out okay, I also used some chrome paint (duplicolor) on the inside, they are nice. There are some pictures including my signature in a thread replacing bumpers.

Originally Posted By: Rock

Hey Rock, I used 2000 grit wet dry sand paper on mine the polished them with rubbing compound and I think they turned out okay, I also used some chrome paint (duplicolor) on the inside, they are nice. There are some pictures including my signature in a thread replacing bumpers.

Mine are pretty rough....I put a pic of them in me add for wanted...not even the correct color anymore. New ones cost $140.

Ordered a used pair of 15x7 rally rims. Hopefully the gent will deliver them tomorrow while I'm at work. I have to replace one rim that has a nice 2" crack forming on a ridge where the center cap mounts, and the other rim will be used for a spare tire(needs to be powder coated first, it's in rough shape).

Put all of the front sheet metal (except the hood) on this weekend. This is the first time it's looked like a Monte in 5 years. And between it being hit in the front end at some point, all of the body bushings being replaced with poly, replacing a 70 fender with a 71 fender, missing parts, mystery parts and just being a 44 year old car...NOTHING wanted to line up forward of the core support! What a PITA! But I persevered and got it all together and tightened up! I just love putting something back together that someone else took apart, its kinda like getting a jigsaw puzzle in a plain box with a written description of what it's supposed to be! crazy The GM manuals aren't the most descriptive and the drawings are kinda puzzling but thank doG for these forums, I was able to find enough build pics to figure everything out! cool

this weekend I removed the ENTIRE floor and rockers...and mocked up my rims n tires to see the look...nice...trunk is next wink

Originally Posted By: Patrick Sheean
Originally Posted By: Rock

Mine are pretty rough....I put a pic of them in me add for wanted...not even the correct color anymore. New ones cost $140.

Sorry about that, I hope it works out.

Pulled the driver's side head off, found this little beauty occupying Cylinder #5

2014-04-23_14-03-29_6_zpsf86a52a3.jpg

Sooo... anyone have anything cool I should do when I go to rebuild?

Some pics of what I did with the 71 on the weekend

I pulled out the back seats in search of the Canadian broadcast sheet. I found a corner of it sticking out of the seat but most of it was missing. The seats have been recovered so I guess a portion of it ripped off and was lost at that time.

00610.JPG

Only a few codes on it. The Z20 code must have been on the missing section. Being a Canadian built car, I'm not too concerned if I find one intact since my cowl tag has the Z20 on it and I have the GM Canada package which shows all the options for my car.

00510.JPG

I did find a few other factory tags on the seats.

0026.JPG

0097.JPG

After playing with the seats, I pulled the top off of my console and cleaned it up. I also replaced the console lens. It looks a lot better but I need to repaint the black plate under the lens. Also note that there are 2 different aftermarket lenses out there. I got the cheaper one and it is not the best quality. It is plexiglass with low quality printing on it. The font is not quite the same as the original either. From what I read the more expensive one is much better. This will do but I'll likely replace it some day.

0118.JPG