What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Took my wife and granddaughter into town for DQ on a test drive tonight after I finally finished rebuilding the front suspension of my '70 SS today.

I'm trying to keep this car basically stock so I didn't add any performance parts. I did try to use only replacement parts made in the USA ... Moog springs, ball joints, bushings, tie rods, idler arm; Timken wheel bearings; KYB Shocks, Monroe disk pads, etc.

Looks great Dennis. I need to get into my Monte like you did. Been away, but back now.

Several of the original bushings were completely shot and, of course, it all looked like a 44 year old dog's breakfast. The rebuild has sure made a difference in handling, ride and appearance. Here's a couple of shots to prove it actually happened. smile

Before rebuild

70SSFrontEndRebuild008_zps1bdeb95f.jpg

44 Year old control arm bushing

70SSFrontEndRebuild054_zpsae21add2.jpg

After rebuild

70SSFrontEndRebuild246_zpsffa6b7a4.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took my wife and granddaughter into town for DQ on a test drive tonight after I finally finished rebuilding the front suspension of my '70 SS today.

I'm trying to keep this car basically stock so I didn't add any performance parts. I did try to use only replacement parts made in the USA ... Moog springs, ball joints, bushings, tie rods, idler arm; Timken wheel bearings; KYB Shocks, Monroe disk pads, etc.

Several of the original bushings were completely shot and, of course, it all looked like a 44 year old dog's breakfast. The rebuild has sure made a difference in handling, ride and appearance. Here's a couple of shots to prove it actually happened. smile

Before rebuild

70SSFrontEndRebuild008_zps1bdeb95f.jpg

44 Year old control arm bushing

70SSFrontEndRebuild054_zpsae21add2.jpg

After rebuild

70SSFrontEndRebuild246_zpsffa6b7a4.jpg

Looks great Dennis. I need to get into my Monte like you did. Been away, but back now.

Went to syracuse nationals tha place was packed unoffillaly 8000 show cars. My daughter and grandson came over for a while on friday and of corse he wore his FGMCC shirt too. We had a blast.

10521530_10100559246168275_5412859810567

Way to break in the grandson Steve. Looks like you guys had a great time together!

Went to syracuse nationals tha place was packed unoffillaly 8000 show cars. My daughter and grandson came over for a while on friday and of corse he wore his FGMCC shirt too. We had a blast.

Way to break in the grandson Steve. Looks like you guys had a great time together!

I pulled the radiator out of the 71 last night to do a swap. Now I've decided to paint the rad support while the rad is out and so I've taken the grille and headlight doors off. Will be sanding and washing parts for paint this afternoon.

I see a very large snowball rolling down the hill! Be care full.

Well didn't spin to much time working on the Monte until late this evening, got the drivers side exhaust all button up and looking good. Had to head south this morning to help my uncle with his 56 Belair pro-street as he wanted it lower in the rear. I was able to grab a little launch video https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=808451815856460&l=5456021538371890239

Well didn't spin to much time working on the Monte until late this evening, got the drivers side exhaust all button up and looking good. Had to head south this morning to help my uncle with his 56 Belair pro-street as he wanted it lower in the rear. I was able to grab a little launch video https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=808451815856460&l=5456021538371890239

bought 2 doors for my car..the guy tried to sell me 2 1/4s with the sail but i already have repo's..I know I know but just can't do 2g's in panels as well

bought 2 doors for my car..the guy tried to sell me 2 1/4s with the sail but i already have repo's..I know I know but just can't do 2g's in panels as well

I got the Old Girl fired up this afternoon. Put My Q-jet back on the Big Block. Now I need to get some more Trans fluid cause it leaked all over the floor sometime back from a bad trans dipstick tube seal leak. Ugh. The joys of owning and old car. laugh

Almost have the car back together after pulling the rad and painting the rad support.

Before:

It was fairly rough with surface rust. Someone did a quick paint job on it at one point and got black overspray on the grille.

0122.JPG

During:

00115.JPG

After some sanding

00613.JPG

Current photo with new paint and new decals:

00513.JPG

00320.JPG

still have a few things to finish putting together.

I got the 71 all back together and running last night. I backed off the timing to about 9/10 advanced and changed the thermostat to a 180. Tonight i take it for its first long test drive to check if it runs any cooler.