Windows 8

footballubet

My old laptop bit the dust last week. My puter buddy was able to save everything from it so I was lucky that way. I do have an external storage for all my files and club stuff. I have been running for a week on my daughter's old laptop, but I had to break down and get a new one. I've been trying to figure out this Windows 8. It is a little bit of a challenge to say the least! Anybody else make the switch yet and what are your thoughts on it?

Yes, about two weeks ago and I think it was made for one of them pad tablet things. It is faster to start up and I'm learning.

I have been using Chrome and it still works great, haven't even fired up IE-9? I also have been using Picasa for years now and 8 won't let Picasa take over as the default photo handler. It works but you have to pay attention. There is one screen that is difficult to escape from. I hit the window button (2nd from the bottom left) then Esc. I should watch the intro to windows 8 thing.

Bruce

I watched the intro to windows 8 thing but they play music and you need to read fast. I'll have to play it again and pause to take notes. To start and stop I just push the power button. There is a "sleep" button on my DELL I use when I walk away for awhile.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

My brother also has 8 and just downloaded an app to make some things more like 7. Can't find the note with the web site, darn...

I wonder why the update to 8 in the first place. Other than the different interface there didnt seem to be anything vastly different. Not enough for the price anyways. I went from XP Pro past windows ME and Vista to get windows 7. Don't see a point to upgrade now.

Hopefully to be completely switched over to Windows 8 this weekend. I needed Microsoft Office to publish the newsletters. My geek buddy loaded it last night. Haven't had much of a chance to play around with it but it's not too bad. Now to back everything up and transfer what I need to this laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows Xp & 7 are mine preferred. My least favorite which I also have learned to hate..Windows Vista HP.. mad , I guess soon enough Windows 8 will be the wave of the future, with its touch friendly technology. Although I have gripes with said technology, my mini Ipod7 has that touch screen tech and its sucks, I like my 5th gen lots better.

The sooner we get acclimated to it the better, the way desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobile operating systems are transcending it's a wonder how us the older folks are even keeping-up with this technology, which in actuality is growing exponentially.

One can only wonder what's up ahead.. my small acquaintance with "home" & "building automation". With the new changes, we're faced with the following: We're relying on our electronic gadgets so much, scares me, just the threat of a cyber attack which could cripple a nation, and could be generated far away from our borders.

My worry is far reaching and many aren't listening, our businesses are becoming increasingly dependent on electrical and low voltage systems for both building and business operation, it's very important that said systems remain operational and accessible at all times. Large corporations, companies need to establish a redundancy for integrated systems. Downtime is critical, a major cybor attack, catastrophe, could wreak havoc on us. Our banking institution would suffer the biggest blow, can you imagine not being able to draw your hard earned cash from the ATM. shocked "Back Up" your files or at minimum buy an inexpensive UPS electrical apparatus.