ALTERNATOR ASSEMBLY HELP NEEDED!!

71 MONTE 4 YA

Hey All. I recently took my alternator apart to have it chromed. I got it all back today. You guessed it I need help putting it back together. Anyone got any diagrams? Here is a pic of the chrome work:

2013-01-07162359.jpgThere is still wax on the parts in the picture

Did you take any pix while disassembling it? That usually helps a lot. If I was closer I would help you as I used to build and rebuild them for GM.
No I didn't take ahy pictures. I didn't think it would take so long to get done. I'm going to give it a shot from memory, but I was hoping someone had some instructions.

I was taught to "scribe" a mark PRIOR to taking it apart so the top and bottom case go back into the correct relationship like they were. Were the three diodes removed? It sort of looks like they are still in the rear half of the case. I don't remember the procedure but you should check them. Also I cracked the rear case installing the new bearings. I didn't support the inside and pounded too hard. I think I took a photo journal if I can only find it.

Bruce

I was taught to "scribe" a mark PRIOR to taking it apart so the top and bottom case go back into the correct relationship like they were. Were the three diodes removed? It sort of looks like they are still in the rear half of the case. I don't remember the procedure but you should check them. Also I cracked the rear case installing the new bearings. I didn't support the inside and pounded too hard. I think I took a photo journal if I can only find it.

Bruce

I left the three diodes intact. Thanks Bruce!! You are the photo journal man!!

Rod,

See if you can view these pictures.

Bruce

1971 37Amp Alt rebuild

Bruce, nice pictures..too bad you didn't add some comments to the pictures. It would make a nice (tutorial) piece to add to the archives. Nothing like pictures if you ask me. cool

Got It!! It's kind of tight and doesn't spin as free as it should. I'm going to test it when I go back to work tomorrow. I also have to clean the threads up to put the pulley bolt on. We will see!!

2013-01-07231705.jpg

Got It!! It's kind of tight and doesn't spin as free as it should. I'm going to test it when I go back to work tomorrow. I also have to clean the threads up to put the pulley bolt on. We will see!!

2013-01-07231705.jpg

Looks good! Just one picture,, nothing like keeping us fed.. grin I was expecting nicer shots and perhaps one down the runway with different angles. lol

When I rebuilt mine, there wasn't any problems but the case looked bad. Spinning prior by hand was fine with a hint of noise but after new bearings WOW it spun so freely and didn't make a sound.

Bruce

I think Rod hit it. There are 2 spacers. One behind the fan and one following the front bearing retainer. Tightening the fan nut in front places no bind on the rear of the unit. You can remove the rear housing via the four screws and the front housing and bearing assembly remains just as tight. The stator floats in the rear housing where the brushes are.

I think Rod hit it. There are 2 spacers. One behind the fan and one following the front bearing retainer. Tightening the fan nut in front places no bind on the rear of the unit. You can remove the rear housing via the four screws and the front housing and bearing assembly remains just as tight. The stator floats in the rear housing where the brushes are.
Looking at the diagram that Rod provided there appears to be three spacers. There is one under the fan and another under the bearing retainer, then there is one at the bottom of the lower housing. I only have two spacers. I have tried to put one at the bottom and the other under the fan. It binded. Then I tried to put one under the fan and behind the retainer and it binded. I am at a standstill right now. I am going to try and get a third spacer. I remember taking a spacer with all the other stuff to get chromed. I think it got misplaced. Will post my results when I get the third spacer.

Rodney, I have not had one apart lately, although I believe not all spacers are the same. I may be wrong, though it memory serves me right leaving one of them out creates havoc. I have a couple of old alternators if you happen to find yourself needing a lost spacer.. let me know I'll break-it down and toss it in the mail.

The third spacer behind the rotor would have no affect on the front bearing getting locked down by tightening the fan nut. The force is only clamping to the front of the rotor. By tightening the nut you are pulling the rotor towards the front housing and bearing. That is where it seems to become tight according to your description. The spacer behind the rotor would have no affect on this. I still think Rod is right.

The third spacer behind the rotor would have no affect on the front bearing getting locked down by tightening the fan nut. The force is only clamping to the front of the rotor. By tightening the nut you are pulling the rotor towards the front housing and bearing. That is where it seems to become tight according to your description. The spacer behind the rotor would have no affect on this. I still think Rod is right.

I agree 100%. I'd highly doubt that chroming the unit would have adverse results. My money is on the missing spacer behind the fan.. or a wrong spacer?